News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

85" front forks seal replacement

Started by Argoson, November 09, 2022, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argoson

Hello all! I'm having an issue separating the front fork sliders in order to replace the seals. According to the manual, after removing the top seal and releasing the clip, you have to slide it up and down until the fork slider comes out, but I can't seem to get them separated. Do you have any tips or tricks how to get the job done?

It's an 85' 1100, stock front forks with 35,000 miles so they could be the original seals. Not sure if they were ever replaced.
Thanks.

RPM - Robert

Did you remove the allen head bolt from the lower fork leg that holds the damper rod into the fork tube?

Argoson

Quote from: RPM - Robert on November 09, 2022, 05:27:56 PM
Did you remove the allen head bolt from the lower fork leg that holds the damper rod into the fork tube?

Oh no! I missed that. Is it 10mm?

RPM - Robert

10mm I believe off the top of my head. You also have to have a long tool to hold the damper rod from inside the fork tube. I also do not remember what size this is off the top of my head.

Argoson

Quote from: RPM - Robert on November 10, 2022, 09:23:21 AM
10mm I believe off the top of my head. You also have to have a long tool to hold the damper rod from inside the fork tube. I also do not remember what size this is off the top of my head.

It is 10mm. Thank you for your help.

FJmonkey

Northridge CA? We are close by (according to FJ miles). Maybe I can swing by and offer some help/advise.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side