News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Compression Test - I Think I'm Screwed

Started by Mitragorz, November 08, 2022, 11:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urx

The old gs1000 vacuum taps were prone to holing the diaphram and leakin petrol though.
Leaving the tap set to prime on early GS had pretty much the same effect.

If you had a sticky float then you had petrol trickling into the bores and down into the motor.
'Growing' the oil was the slightly luckier outcome with accelerated wear....the unluckier one was a hydraulic lock and a bent rod.
Stainless lines
Blue spot calipers but std m/cyl (so far)
Ebc prolite front discs
Ohlins remote adj rear shock
Remus 4:1
Still running original chain and sprockets from new (scotoilers really work)
Krauser k2s

Millietant

I think the petrol issue might have been worsened by the journey here on the back of a recovery truck Doug - bike upright, bouncing around for 150 miles, fuel in the tank and leaking through the carbs.

The engine only had a few seconds of running once we'd gotten it off the truck, the exhaust smoke was enough for me to shut it off almost straight away, so I doubt "wear" will be an issue - but I'm surprised too that there wasn't a hydraulic lock and bent rod.

After the bike was standing overnight, no more petrol had leaked through into the sump (hence me thinking the journey might have helped with the flow) but I'll be refurbishing the tap regardless.

So far I think we have been lucky with damage, but its a whole top end removal job (at least) to check everything out and sort it. Looks like I might be busy  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Urx

:Facepalm:
Its never easy eh....

If its any consolation ....
i have a honda crf1000 adv sport.
I broke the sidestandswitch ( dont ask) its fragile plastic and extortionately priced plastic as you'd expect of a honda.
Replacing that switch requires the tank,fairing, screen and a multidude of plastic layers plus the crasbars and sump guard all to be removed before it can be clipped in place.
OMG
What a fiddle ...so many lttle nast bits of fragile plastic
Its done 2000 miles and is only 4 years old ...no winter or salty road use....
The last thing youd expect is to find rust on the tank and frame....
GRR..
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

Mitragorz

Sooo....

I have a few more videos to upload to my project thread before we're caught up to where I'm at now, but here's a teaser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3SJdUKJ0w

fj1289

It runs!

Now to see if the smoking improves after a few heat cycles.  Might try Yamaha's ring free and see if it helps?

But it seems like it runs well enough to ops check the transmission - especially the 2nd gear kookaloo test!

Urx

Thats excellent ...so much easier and more motivating to work on a runner
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s