News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Vilike's sporty 1TX

Started by Vilike, November 07, 2022, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilike

Hey there.

We have modded my '86 1TX to be more sporty, and to get a better handling. At this point the front of the bike is a lot more stable. With the custom handlebars the bike got a much comfortable, sporty sitting position. Conversions made so far :

- FZR1000 Exup RU front wheel, top and lower yokes, brake discs and brake hoses
- Showa 43mm USD forks
- Brembo 4 piston brake calipers
- Ducati Monster front mudguard
- custom made sport handle bars
- ignition switch height reduced to fit in to the Exup top yoke
- headlight/main cowling supporting frame inner welding grinded for the thicker forks to fit in.

Things to do :
- main cowling+instrument panel OR smaller brake/clutch levers conversion-modification to get the handle bars fit in when turning. I need advice and suggestions about it.
- 1000 Exup rear wheel OR wheel+shock OR wheel+shock+swingarm swap

FJ1200 1TX '1986
FJ1200 3CW '1988
FZR1000 Exup 3LE '1991

FJmonkey

Awesome! I love the colors, the mods. I need to get my 86' project started. Thanks.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Millietant

As you already have the FZR top yoke, you could just drill the 2 holes to 10mm, from 8mm and fit a set of 2001-2005 FZ1 risers and handlebar. You get some more adjustability and can use a range of alternative bars to make sure you get something to fit inside the fairing. I also fitted the FZ1 master cylinder, which got me the standard span-adjustable brake lever.

On the rear end, it seems pointless to fit the FZR arm into the FJ (no significant difference). A much better option if you want to make the bike more sporty is to fit the YZF 1000R Thunderace swinging arm and wheel, which shortens the wheelbase by about an inch and gets you a really nice wheel for the best tyres. Then, get a shock with adjustable length, so you can raise the rear a bit too  :good2: :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Vilike

Thanks a lot for the suggetions !

Well, the first goal is the possibility of sporty handle bars. I rather modify the cowling just to keep those bars on my bike. We need only 2-3 cm more space for the master cylinders to turn. I think some grinding will do it.
  :good2:
FJ1200 1TX '1986
FJ1200 3CW '1988
FZR1000 Exup 3LE '1991