News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Mississippi hwy 35 to prairie du chien

Started by twood1972, October 16, 2022, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twood1972

Probably the last time till spring. Looks like Indian summer comes on the 23rd. I'm riding to prairie du chien down hwy 35. I'll be getting on 35 in river falls. Ultimately I'll be stopping in prairie du chien for sweet potatoe fries and heading back home. It's a beautiful ride down the mighty mississippi through beautiful bluffs and a good number of twisties.
Anyone from the great white north up for a day trip on probably the last decent riding day till April?
TIMOTHY

FJmonkey

Soak up as much joy as you can then. Post up any pictures of the ride. Us Westcoasters don't get to see the wonderful country you live in very often.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

melloncollie

I've been rolling it around the last couple days; I'll likely be riding half way there anyway enjoying the nice weather.  I'm straight east of Prairie du Chien so it might be more of a "meet you there for sweet potato fries" than a ride along 35.  To make it a not too boring ride I'd go up to Sauk City then along the Wisconsin River to Prairie du Chien, which Google says would take about 3 hours.  Maybe add a little for a gas stop or two. 

Depending on when you were thinking of getting there I could follow along up to La Crosse or so before turning back for home.
89 FJ1200
Mikuni RS36, Hindle 4-1, Blue Dots

giantkiller

Quote from: melloncollie on October 20, 2022, 11:38:25 PM
I've been rolling it around the last couple days; I'll likely be riding half way there anyway enjoying the nice weather.  I'm straight east of Prairie du Chien so it might be more of a "meet you there for sweet potato fries" than a ride along 35.  To make it a not too boring ride I'd go up to Sauk City then along the Wisconsin River to Prairie du Chien, which Google says would take about 3 hours.  Maybe add a little for a gas stop or two. 

Depending on when you were thinking of getting there I could follow along up to La Crosse or so before turning back for home.
I would definitely go but I'm going to be working.  :Facepalm:
Anyway you guys have fun. I really like sweet potato fries too.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

twood1972

Leaving at 6:30 and taking 29 to river falls to 35. Going to enjoy the ride I.E, 55MPH or so. I figure on being in Prairie Du chien a little after noon, 12:30 ish but you never know what I'll come across. I don't have a particular restaurant in mind as there are many. That would be cool to meet up for a few miles or even some eats. As far as now, that schedule looks like it will work. I'll message you if I'm running behind and to confirm that there have been no changes. Awesome.
TIMOTHY

twood1972

TIMOTHY

twood1972

Giant killer, I probably could work sunday too. Heaven knows things are busy enough right now but heck with it, I'm riding. I'll give you a report on the fries. I've been in search of the best sweet potatoe fries in the state and so far Doc's in Shawano has the top spot!
TIMOTHY

giantkiller

I'm in the middle of 17/12hr nights straight. Right now. Hopefully we can all get together next year. You guys have fun.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

melloncollie

Yep, got the message and sent you my number.  Timeline works for me, Prairie du Chien around noon or 12:30 sounds good.  I'll let you know if there's any hang ups along the way. 

Dan, its a shame you can't go its a good ride.  We can always do another sometime next year.  I'll be sure to take some pictures with my good camera.

If anyone from Milwaukee or Madison area catches this before tomorrow and wants to come, shoot me a message and we can ride out together.  I'll probably be leaving around 8:30 or so and passing through Madison around 10?  Just kinda guessing those times.
89 FJ1200

twood1972

At 50 these miles aren't physically as easy as they used to be, say in my 30's. But from a spiritual and emotional aspect, they are more rewarding than they used to be.
Thanks for meeting me there Brett, it was fun. No sweet potatoe fries but the burger was pretty good.
TIMOTHY

Millietant

Come on Timothy, at 50 you're just a spring chicken.

At 50 I was riding 500 miles in a day to the Nurburgring on my Aprilia RSV Mille, then doing 700 miles on track over 3 Days, then riding 500 miles home again in one day.

Get yourself into shape and then at your young age, riding your FJ will be like relaxing in your favourite armchair. :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Here's my RSV in its "touring" mode, on the way to the Nurburgring a few years back  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

melloncollie

Yeah Tim, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.  Even though our paths only crossed for lunch and a few miles I had a good time.  The burger was good, maybe I'd have the 1/2 pounder next time.  Or the pizza.

I should have come up to La Crosse, I got half way home and didn't want the ride to be over with so I took the long way home.

Here's a few pictures from throughout the day.  I have a lot if anyone wants to see more.
89 FJ1200

T Legg

Nice trip. More pictures are always good. The higher resolution the better . How are the temperatures this time of year in your area ?
T Legg

melloncollie

I'll get a few more posted tomorrow in the same 6000x4000 resolution.

Sunday was in the 70s but that was uncharacteristically warm for the end of October.  Ballpark numbers, highs usually in the 40s/50s with lows in the 30s/40s.
89 FJ1200