News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Drive way repair

Started by chiz, September 23, 2022, 08:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiz

Well it turned out the large wet spot was not water emanating from under the bike and I did not see the dripping .. everything now smells of gas and I now have two repairs ahead. Gas sure does a number on blacktop over an extended time.
This is my fault of course as when I was doing carb sync I turned the tank around disconnected the vacuum line and turned the tap to prime, later went for a spin and was very satisfied. On turning the tap I must have damaged the internals. Is there a quick fix? and I have not discovered why the system leaked carbs I guess  are the usual suspects. So I had leaky carbs and a good valve all along? What would be you guys best guess?
Chiz

chiz

Update #2 carb drain hose has gas in it.. gas valve revealed a leaky carb.

petetb154

Sounds like you need to 1) rebuild your petcock and 2) adjust your carb float levels and/or replace your float needle valves

Sorry to hear about the trouble.
Brian Peterson
1987 FJ1200

T Legg

Only the vacuum shut off diaghram is still available for the fj1100's. A year ago Robert from RPM said they only had 100 new petcocks left. I bought on to replace the one on my yellow 1100 and one more for future use.
   I was able to find the old gasket for the selector handle but after replacing the parts and polishing the selector valve sealing surface it would work for a month or so and then let me down and leak again. I would buy a new one now while you can still get them.
T Legg

chiz

Ok   Replaced the bits a few years ago in the valve at the time I was confused to how it worked so I took a closer look today.The little o ring on the diaphragm shuts the fuel off? and prime is double the flow? Are there other vacuum taps that will fit?