News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil pump cover split

Started by kb277, January 01, 2023, 05:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb277

I've had an old fj1200 for a few years now and use it to do winter hack running and some charity events. Anyway I lent it to a mate who had just passed his test to get some experience on as he couldn't afford to buy anything at the time. He ran it for about a year and put around 6k on the clock. It's coke back in need of a lot of work such as fork seals, rear shock, starter motor etc etc. I have all the parts anyway but I noticed a big crack on the oil pump cover on the left hand side of the engine. Can anyone tell me if this would be "wet" in behind or is it more of a dirt cover? Effectively I'm trying to work out if I need to source a new one of if I can simply silicone it up.

As I mentioned it's a winter hack, it owes me nothing and is worth nothing so looking pretty is not a must here.

TIA
Keith

RPM - Robert

The cover with Yamaha engraved is the ignition pickup and rotor cover. I would get a new one to protect the ignition system from the elements for 100% peace of mind.

kb277

Quote from: RPM - Robert on January 01, 2023, 06:12:53 PM
The cover with Yamaha engraved is the ignition pickup and rotor cover. I would get a new one to protect the ignition system from the elements for 100% peace of mind.

Perfect thank you. I had it in my head it was for oil pump? I will remove and seal/weld it up.

Many thanks.