News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Bad fuel pump and effects

Started by Bob C, September 06, 2022, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob C

From trying to get my 1992 FJ to start well, I found the problem. The electric fuel pump, aftermarket , I think, was the culprit. There is a small spring in the movable lower points arm which has a plastic ( I think ) foot on each end of it . This spring gives the snap to the points movement. The foot nearest the points was split / broken, and this made the spring hold the points shut all the time. So, on putting the switch "on" , a little "cluck" was heard, the piston/ diaphram going down, and staying there. Normally this would give no fuel to the engine. Second Problem: one of the check valves was leaking / broken. This is how the bike still worked a bit ,as it was leaking a small amount of gas to the carbs , all the time, even when parked. This made the fuel levels in the carbs go too high after a few days or so, and was just too rich a set-up to start . The person I bought the bike from used to lift the back of the gas tank up and shut the outlet valve , if he was parking it for more than a day or two , a lot of work every time, and he still had fun starting it even after a day or two . I am buying a new pump for my bike, now, and may install an  in-line valve in the line to the carbs as an extra safety. All this mess because of a defective pump !

Bob C

One other point is that the FJ1100 , with no fuel pump, uses a vacuum operated fuel tap to shut the gas off when the engine is not running . So, the fuel pump bikes rely on the pump to stop the gas pressure to the carbs when not running