News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

After many years, I might get her running soon

Started by ForgottenFJ, August 06, 2022, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForgottenFJ

This project has been in the works for more years than I can remember, I started on the electrical mods in 2013 or so, and then the bike got cast outside for a few years. I finally got a garage and I have been working on getting things upgraded and put back together.  I got the relay mods for the headlight and coils done, the horn will be next only I'm not sure how that one works with the horn powered on both terminals, I put in a fifth relay for something else in the future. I took apart and cleaned up the main switches on the handlebars and also installed emergency flashers with a switch under the seat and an electrical fuse panel next to the relays, I added some good grounds for the lamps and added some LED bulbs, I took apart the carbs and got them cleaned up, I am currently waiting for the screw and seal kit from RPM to finish reassembly, the fairing and side scoop were damaged when it was wrecked in the late 90's so those will be an issue, but getting it running is my big priority right now, it will need mirrors, the right one got busted so I will probably get CBR mirrors when it's time. overall, it has been a long journey, but I never let anyone talk me into selling her.
1986 FJ1200

red

Quote from: ForgottenFJ on August 06, 2022, 05:51:52 PMI got the relay mods for the headlight and coils done, the horn will be next only I'm not sure how that one works with the horn powered on both terminals, I put in a fifth relay for something else in the future . . . the fairing and side scoop were damaged when it was wrecked in the late 90's so those will be an issue
Forgotten,

Good work for all of  the relays.  Handlebar switches can last a good long time, when running relays.  

I believe the horn(s) get power at all times, and the horn button (or relay) just puts ground on the horn(s) to sound them.  So with a relay, the relay just connects the horns to ground, not power, for the sound.

What year/model do you have there?
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ForgottenFJ

1986 FJ1200 21,000 original miles, I read the modification for the horn, and I thought it had to be wrong, because it was wired backwards.
1986 FJ1200

red

Quote from: ForgottenFJ on August 06, 2022, 08:07:27 PM1986 FJ1200 21,000 original miles, I read the modification for the horn, and I thought it had to be wrong, because it was wired backwards.
Forgotten,

If the wiring diagram says the horns get power all the time, and the horn button applies Ground for the sound, then the relay should be wired in the same way.  If so, the relay coil gets power at all times, and the horn button just grounds the relay coil.  Then the relay switch contacts would close, and apply Ground to the horn(s).  If this scheme does not seem to match your drawings, please post your wiring diagram and maybe we can make some better sense here if we have that.

If you go with a relay for the horns, this would be a good time to consider adding some real horns for the bike, instead of the (weak) OEM horns.  No wild rush there, maybe a future option, but the horn relay gives you that option, where the heavy load of real horns might damage the horn switch without the relay.  This crew can tell you the brands of real horns that they like.

As for cowling, et c. . . . We have do ways of repairing most plastic damage, if need be.  Watch on eBay and Craigslist for your plastics.  You can expect these old plastic parts to be brittle from age and sunlight, though.

https://www.searchtempest.com

will search on every Craigslist in the USA.  Beware: if you advertise "I want to buy X," then the scammers will all come flocking, all saying they have just what you need, all with old pix lifted from the Internet and no parts, really.  There are ways to find and get what you need, but don't assume the seller actually has what he is selling.

Best wishes.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.