News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Wheels and my 3CV

Started by Urx, June 20, 2022, 04:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urx

So thundercat rear wherl is on the way as is a later 17mm axle exup front.
Unfortunately the genesis wheel was damaged by enthusiastic tyre removal and is essentially scrap....so a 17mm lare exup one (F-42) from a 3GM fzr is on its way.
Should have some of the exup brake discs spare

Just trying to work out if imwant to drill the fork bottoms for 17mm axle or seek out 15x40x14 bearings to hybridize the later wheel to the FJ 15mm axle.

Ho hum
Stainless lines
Blue spot calipers but std m/cyl (so far)
Ebc prolite front discs
Ohlins remote adj rear shock
Remus 4:1
Still running original chain and sprockets from new (scotoilers really work)
Krauser k2s

Urx

Today's job was to out the 15mm centred bearings into the Exup wheel and fit to the bike.
All went well but i had to use the exup spacer as the Fj one is a couple of mill too wide
The post 89 exup wheel is now on a 15mm axle using FJ parts speedo drive etc but its using the 17 mm centred exup spacer till I turn up a new one in stainless during the week or perhaps next weekend.
Gold spots are also now fitted ( but still got to fit the gold goodrich lines and bleed)
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

Urx

So turned up a nice stainless spacer for the 15mm axle and fitting the exup bearing oil seal.
Nice... typically the one drill size i was missing was 15mm so had to drill and then bore to size.
Nothing for someone skilled and competent but a major win for a beginner:-)

Gold spot calipers now hooked up with some nice gold goodrich lines i bought years ago when they were on special offer.
Black stainless fittings with a muted gold coated line.
Next is to swap over the rear brake and clutch lines to match.

After that ill be building up the courage to start the thundercat rear wheel conversion.

Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

fj1289

Urx

Well moditus escalation has me looking at fitting an R1 front end.
Currently the mix is looking like:-
a set of custom yokes so i can maintain the ride height and fork rake (usd forks are a bit shorter) with 210mm between centres on the fork legs. Sticking with std R1 spacing means i can use a std mudguard.
Ill be Using some R1 5pw forks and spindle with the upper legs in black
The front wheel and speedo drive are 1995 fzr1000 which takes a 20mm spindle which matches the 5pw sidle diameter.
The fzr wheel lets me retain the mechanical speedo where the r1 wheel would force an alternative approach.
More as this progresses 8-)

Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

Millietant

Don't worry Doug, the Cat back wheel conversion is much easier than your front end choices/options. Just a word of advice though, hold off the rear brake hose until you've checked how your original one fits with the wheel swap. I found out that my old Goodrich hose was actually slightly shorter than the Yamaha original one and although it fitted, I wasn't happy that it was stretched at the time at the radius up to the caliper. It was about 1/4" shorter than the original hose but fitted OK using the original FJ caliper mount. I got a new hose made up by Earls Performance and asked them to make it 1/4" longer than the Yamaha original hose, so that there was even more play.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Urx

The rear and clutch lines are still in the packet until im working on the back.
Having a look on the bay of tat I see a few of these gold lines are listed so should be able to get a matching longer one if i need (phew)

Yokes and a carbon fibre front mudguard are ordered
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

fj1289

Quote from: Urx on September 27, 2022, 12:46:11 AM
Well moditus escalation has me looking at fitting an R1 front end.
Currently the mix is looking like:-
a set of custom yokes so i can maintain the ride height and fork rake (usd forks are a bit shorter) with 210mm between centres on the fork legs. Sticking with std R1 spacing means i can use a std mudguard.
Ill be Using some R1 5pw forks and spindle with the upper legs in black
The front wheel and speedo drive are 1995 fzr1000 which takes a 20mm spindle which matches the 5pw sidle diameter.
The fzr wheel lets me retain the mechanical speedo where the r1 wheel would force an alternative approach.
More as this progresses 8-)

Giantkiller used a set of tube extenders for his GSXR forks.  A fairly common method used when retro fitting modern forks on "vintage" bikes.

I used my early R1 forks standard length - no issues with handling and the rear is raised a fair amount too (above the height of the center stand when extended). 

I used a ThunderAce front rim (YZF1000) - it uses a mechanical speedo drive and has the R1 brake rotors and rotor spacing.  Had to "machine" (hack saw and file) the "boss" on the inside lower fork leg - it is like a built in spacer - to make room for the speedo drive. 

Also be aware R1 triple trees come in three different offsets - 35mm, 30mm, and 25mm.   I used the early 35mm triple trees (FJ offset is also 35mm).  I use the 25mm offset on the racebike (drag strip and land speed) with shortened forks - superb stability in a straight line, but a bit "odd" handling in turns!

Urx

I must admit i dont fancy 'slugs' as an approach as they were common on chops way back in the day.
Point of weakness they were. Im sure extenders these days arebetter but just the thought gives me shivers.

Ill check the offset is 35mm as cutting shouldn't have started yet ...there is a queue snd i need to send in my top yoke to check how the ignition lock will be let in.

A good point on the offset thanks 8-)
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s

giantkiller

My extenders were a little overkill/over Engineered. First generation top. Second generation bottom.

Then decided to have extensions welded to the top plate of the forks and machined down. Sold all my extensions. Three sets so far. Of the welded/machined. Have them on the 1350r some extreme abuse there for the forks (gixxer brakes are much stronger, plus the front tire seems to come off the ground alot with the 1350r)many years of use. Going to use them on the turbo bike.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Urx

A nice chunky look about them 8-)
Stainless lines
Ebc prolite front discs
Krauser k2s