News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Best place to buy a new helmet?

Started by alexvitojustin, June 08, 2022, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexvitojustin

I am looking for a new full face helmet.
Cyclegear?  Who has the best deals?
I have not bought one in 20 years.
Thanks
Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

RPM - Robert

You can look through this catalog. https://www.wpsstatic.com/miscimages/info/2022-Apparel-Catalog.pdf (Prices in this catalog are not up to date. For example the current price on the Scorpion carbon air is $549.95 not 399.95 as in the catalog, Sena helmets are 599.95 not 399.95 as in the catalog.) Would make life so much easier if they kept their catalogs up to date but they released these prices to start the year. As with everything else, it seems nowadays, the prices have gone through the roof. That said we can't advertise for lower than the prices in the catalog but we can most definitely sell them for cheaper than listed. So if one of the Fly, or Scorpions helmets interest you shoot me a pm and I can price check it for you.

My father in law has the EXO R1 air currently. Says the wind noise is very good on his Hayabusa. I have a Fly motocross helmet and it is very comfortable and quite a nice piece for the price point

209-844-9831

red

Quote from: alexvitojustin on June 08, 2022, 03:22:08 PMI am looking for a new full face helmet.  Cyclegear?  Who has the best deals?  I have not bought one in 20 years.  Thanks
alexvitojustin,

The human head comes in two basic shapes, the egghead and the blockhead.  Even when the same helmet is the "correct" size for each head, most helmets will only fit well on one head, but not the other one.  Price is one factor, sure, but fit and the design are more important.

The helmet you pick should have as many Certifications as possible.  Now there are advanced helmet technologies that do a much better job of protecting your brain than the old junk.  At a minimum I would want a MIPS helmet, available from many makers, and one of the better crush technologies such as Koroyd.  Also check out the 6D and fluid pad helmets.  This is only a good start, for your search. 

None of them are cheap, but you only get one brain.  One guy I know is paying the price of a cheap helmet.  It has been a dozen years for him so far, and he has more to go before he gets back to where he started.  While no helmet is invincible, I believe his cheap helmet was a big factor in his debilitating TBI.  I plan to replace my own good helmet soon; I'm still looking for the best combination of helmet technologies, Certifications, and fit.  Check out all of the new helmet technologies, before you decide.

Koroyd
Fluid pads
6D
MIPS
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

alexvitojustin

Thanks for the info guys.
I agree, one brain.
My Shoei fits great and I like it but it is old.
Just bought two FJ-1100's and riding sport bikes again.

Alex
Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

fj1289

Just picked up a new Scorpion SNELL rated helmet from RPM - and at a better deal than any of the "discount" websites I found!   :good:

giantkiller

I get almost everything from motorcycle closeouts. I only buy from their insanity deals. Inventory changes on the insanity deals.
Have bought 5 helmets  from them. And 4 jackets.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Motofun

I've had good luck with Sportbike Track Gear.  I hate to admit just how much I've sent their way over the years.... :dash2:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

andyoutandabout

I've got good things to say about Revzilla. The returns policy has always been fair if it doesn't fit right. I once bought a cheap helmet off them. It was good enough for a while. The best deal I ever had was Facebook market place. There were loads to chose from and I got to try it on before handing over any cash. Only bother is a bit of traveling and haggling.
life without a bike is just life