News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Moonlit midnight ride

Started by T Legg, February 27, 2021, 02:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

I wanted to test a new " military grade level four " thermal undershirt I bought from Cabela's. The winter has been mild this year and the daytime temps in the forty's and fiftys so I took a ride into the mountains around 11:00 pm tonight. The temp at the bottom was around 28 degrees and about 22 degrees at the summit. The new shirt worked great. I wore a t shirt with the Cabela's thermal over it and my old fashioned regular thermal shirt over that with a down vest and my lightly lined leather jacket. It was completely comfortable at those temperatures and much lighter and more flexible than the layers I had been wearing. The Cabela's shirt is very long waisted and zips all the way up to your chin. It stopped all of the cold air from blowing down my neck. Next I'm going to try RPM's heated ignitor pro gloves . I bought a set but they are too small so I have to return them for a 2XL set. With those I think I could ride all night in comfort.
             The ride was incredible. The moon was so bright I didn't really need headlights. The road was dry and frost free. With this gear I'll be ready for the ride up to the WCR no matter what the weather is like ( barring a freak snowstorm ).
T Legg

T Legg

It's been hot in Reno the last couple of weeks. Being an air-conditioning and commercial refrigeration contractor keeps me working late most nights.
   A couple of days ago I got home late and it was still in the low eighty's . Living at the base of Geiger grade provides a quick escape from the heat. Around ten PM I texted my son Ian (who lives only a few miles away) that I was going to take a ride up the mountain. Ian was in my driveway on his bike fifteen minutes later.
      We left in pitch black darkness . The 1/2 mile of road between my house and the base of Geiger grade was covered in wild horse manure . It was a good reminder to keep a sharp eye out on the way up. Despite all the manure the only wild life we encountered was a toad in the road which we both managed to avoid .
     When we arrived at the summit the moon was just cresting the mountains .
T Legg

T Legg

It quickly lit up the area casting strong shadows. The temperature was in the low sixty's. We sat around a little while watching the moon rise and listening to a couple owls hooting at each other. We headed back down with the road now we'll lit. Luckily we slowed down just before the county line where as often is the storey county sheriff was hiding in the pull off. Other than the sheriff a couple of cars going the opposite direction and the toad we had the road all to ourselves .
T Legg