News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Anybody had problems with a Rubber lined Front Sprocket before

Started by Sparky84, March 12, 2022, 09:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky84

I've got a rubber lined front sprocket but as I wrap chain around it, the rubber is stopping chain to get fully onto sprocket on bottom which then makes it very hard to get top on. Even to the point of making links not line up correctly on sprocket.

red arrows indicate where rubber is stopping links to fit all the way on, maybe 1.5mm which makes it 3mm overall.

I'm not sure whether the rubber will wear in, The chain will fit but it is forced.

it fits no problems on plain sprocket And both are the same size and pitch.
If it comes down to it, I'll just fit the plain one, that's what is on at present.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

fj1289

I'm betting that's exactly how the rubber one works to help quiet things down.   I'm pretty certain the rubber gives way WELL before the  steel chain and the FJ's torque!!!

Sparky84

Quote from: fj1289 on March 12, 2022, 11:01:16 PM
I'm betting that's exactly how the rubber one works to help quiet things down.   I'm pretty certain the rubber gives way WELL before the  steel chain and the FJ's torque!!!

That's what I'm thinking but just unsure or I'll just use the standard one to be sure.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

andyoutandabout

Never seen one of those, but I can understand that might be a good idea. I'm sure that rubber gives just the right amount - its a known brand of chain and sprockets.
life without a bike is just life

gdfj12

I believe the original OEM sprocket on my '89 had the rubber. I think the intention is to dampen noise and to cushion the chain links as they wrap around the sprocket. There is probably a detectable difference in noise, in a lab environment. In the real world it might be hard to tell the difference. It may also help the chain to last a smidgen longer. Either one will get the job done & the biggest factors in chain life, after choosing one up to the task, is going to be keeping it adjusted properly as well as cleaned and lubed adequately.

George D
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project