News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Decided to strip her down!

Started by Lofty1990, March 06, 2022, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lofty1990

:wacko3:
Hello again everyone, so just got back from a lovely ride out today and decided to get my tool box out and let loose on the fj1200,
I've stripped all the faring off the sides and front (what a pain to get the front off!!) I don't suppose any of you would know where I can get new bushes for the dash/clocks ect as when I took them off they were buggered- much like all the other bushes to me fair.also I really can't stand the "rattling" as I'm riding
If it ain't an FJ it ain't worth riding!!

red

Quote from: Lofty1990 on March 06, 2022, 05:04:46 PMHello again everyone, so just got back from a lovely ride out today and decided to get my tool box out and let loose on the fj1200,  I've stripped all the faring off the sides and front (what a pain to get the front off!!)
I don't suppose any of you would know where I can get new bushes for the dash/clocks ect as when I took them off they were buggered- much like all the other bushes to me fair.also I really can't stand the "rattling" as I'm riding
Lofty,

Without pix, I'm not sure what you need there.  If you can't get OEM parts from the fiches, the auto parts stores will have assorted grommets and O-rings that may do the job.  For larger, more solid rubber, the home improvement stores will have "rubber feet" for cabinetry in all sizes, which you can either pierce with the mounting screw, or stick in place with double-sided tape (clear tape or white foam tape) or adhesives like Shoe-Goo (running shoe repair glue).

2wheelpros, Ron Ayers and others will have parts fiches for your year FJ.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Millietant

Quote from: Lofty1990 on March 06, 2022, 05:04:46 PM
Hello again everyone, so just got back from a lovely ride out today and decided to get my tool box out and let loose on the fj1200,
I've stripped all the faring off the sides and front (what a pain to get the front off!!) I don't suppose any of you would know where I can get new bushes for the dash/clocks ect as when I took them off they were buggered- much like all the other bushes to me fair.also I really can't stand the "rattling" as I'm riding

Not really sure why getting the front off was a pain Lofty, the fairing comes off nice and easily once all the fastenings are undone.

As Red says, there are plenty of options using non-bike parts etc. I managed to get rid of most of the vibes and resonance using an A4 sheet of self adhesive foam cut to shapes that I got from our local Hobbycraft store (Hobby Lobby type shop).
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ribbert

Quote from: Lofty1990 on March 06, 2022, 05:04:46 PM

Carl, if you remove the front fairing with the subframe it comes off more easily and doesn't put the aged plastic mounting points at risk.

I can't find what model bike you have but if it's a late model one with the rubber engine mounts, service those and the engine will be turbine smooth and there will be no rattles or vibrations.

It's possible the "buggered" instrument housing grommets are normal, they are loose by design to protect the instruments from vibration and shock. I have read of owners replacing these with more rigid ones only to see the instruments destroy themselves.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

red

Quote from: Lofty1990 on March 06, 2022, 05:04:46 PMHello again everyone, so just got back from a lovely ride out today and decided to get my tool box out and let loose on the fj1200,  I've stripped all the faring off the sides and front (what a pain to get the front off!!)
Lofty,

On my 1985, you can detach the fairing where it mounts to a small subframe.  That subframe holds the entire fairing.  It's only four bolts, with no bushings or grommets.  There are some minor fasteners to remove along each side, but no big deal there.  Then the fairing slides out going forward, just undo the connectors as you go.  Check the fiche for your bike, and you may have something similar.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ribbert

Quote from: red on March 06, 2022, 09:42:16 PM

....  It's only four bolts, with no bushings or grommets. 

Red, I think he was referring, as I was, to the bushings/grommets that the instrument cluster mount on, not the fairing.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Lofty1990

Seems I went the long way in taking off the front fairing then  :flag_of_truce:
I took the fairing off leaving the sub frame on the bike

ribbert

Quote from: Lofty1990 on March 07, 2022, 03:14:04 AM
Seems I went the long way in taking off the front fairing then  :flag_of_truce:
I took the fairing off leaving the sub frame on the bike

Haha, don't sweat it, I believe how you did it is the way the manual tells you to and how just about everyone here does it because the manual says so, but removing it with subframe attached is the way to go.

Noel

Lofty1990

Hey Noel, well got a few things sorted On her now so front end all back together, what a pain in the ass it is to get the clocks screwed down with front fairing mounted