News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2022 West Coast Rally

Started by roortcloud, October 26, 2021, 06:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motofun

A lot of those incidents have to do with how the organization runs the event.  Some orgs just throw everybody out there to have at it.  Also, I've noticed that where you race has a lot to do with it, local attitudes can affect how riders relate to each other.  There's one track I don't coach at anymore because it just seems the guys who show up think they're the second coming of Rossi.  No matter how much I try to calm them down they just can't seem to understand why we have rules.  In the novice group you can only pass when the bikes are straight up and down or after the apex as the bikes are moving away from each other.  They get frustrated having to wait 5 seconds for a slower rider to clear the apex and stuff it up the inside.  I really hate to do it but I've had to sit them down for a session to think about their riding.  They get mad, I get defensive and it sucks so I don't go there anymore.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

RPM - Robert

Quote from: Motofun on October 31, 2021, 07:18:31 AM
A lot of those incidents have to do with how the organization runs the event.  Some orgs just throw everybody out there to have at it.  Also, I've noticed that where you race has a lot to do with it, local attitudes can affect how riders relate to each other.  There's one track I don't coach at anymore because it just seems the guys who show up think they're the second coming of Rossi.  No matter how much I try to calm them down they just can't seem to understand why we have rules.  In the novice group you can only pass when the bikes are straight up and down or after the apex as the bikes are moving away from each other.  They get frustrated having to wait 5 seconds for a slower rider to clear the apex and stuff it up the inside.  I really hate to do it but I've had to sit them down for a session to think about their riding.  They get mad, I get defensive and it sucks so I don't go there anymore.

I'm sure most groups, cars or bikes, are similar. The race group for our cars is more restrictive than that. To earn your competition or time trials license you have to complete 4 levels of on track "driving education" . Level one has a instructor in the car and you can only pass on usually two straightaways. It is basically a lead and follow with an instructor pointing out the apex, good braking points, acceleration points, some race craft, etc. Level two loses the in car instructor and picks up a couple corners for passing, 3 even more and 4 is wide open passing. While running off the track on a bike can usually be tragic for unseasoned riders, and sometimes for seasoned riders, in the cars we use up a bit of dirt on corner exit. In the driving education classes, touching the dirt, making an unsafe pass, spinning out, or, the most obvious, body contact with another car. Will result in a black flag for the first offense. You are to pull down pit lane and have a discussion with an instructor, second offense will earn you another black flag, a park job for that session and a meeting up in the tower with the group leader. The third offense is a black flag and load it on up, you are headed home. No refund, no ands if slow or buts about it. They are two day weekends and your offenses do not reset after day one. You can also be demoted to a lower group, obviously not from group one, but if you are two or above they can bump you down and you have to start over.

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Millietant

Quote from: RPM - Robert on October 30, 2021, 12:35:53 PM
Quote from: ribbert on October 30, 2021, 09:05:55 AM
Having said all that, they are definitely a lot of fun and a great place to learn, if only the sessions could be idiot proofed.

Noel

You can. Just rent the track for yourself.

At least that would mean there was only one idiot on the track  :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

You have bonzo riders on the track, but they should be easy to spot and correct. At a WCR I had a knuckle head pass me on the right, in a corner. He's not around here anymore, other folks got tired of his shenanigans so he moved on.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyoutandabout

Yet more reasons as to why the FJowners posse are the best; they parked their biking egos decades ago, realizing they have other things to live for. Besides, it strikes me that racers have to be akin to disciplined martial artists to keep a cool head about themselves when the pace builds. Listening to post race interviews, the top runners sound like they just drove down to the supermarket on a Sunday for a pack of sausages.
Start practicing those pole position deep breathing exercises and let the fun begin.
life without a bike is just life

Millietant

Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 31, 2021, 11:02:41 PM
Yet more reasons as to why the FJowners posse are the best; they parked their biking egos decades ago, realizing they have other things to live for. Besides, it strikes me that racers have to be akin to disciplined martial artists to keep a cool head about themselves when the pace builds. Listening to post race interviews, the top runners sound like they just drove down to the supermarket on a Sunday for a pack of sausages.
Start practicing those pole position deep breathing exercises and let the fun begin.

Not the same skill levels, but a long time ago on one the most famous "bike roads" in the UK, my wife was riding with me on the pillion of the FJ and we were with a group mostly on much sportier bikes and riding solo (in the late 1990's). Riding from Penrith, up to Hartside Cafe, we were behind a rider on a GSXR 750 who was holding us up on every corner, despite riding quite slowly - so, I passed him coming out of a corner onto a short straight and we continued up to the cafe at our "normal" pace (the pace we normally rode at with our 2 best friends who usually rode with us, on a ST 1100 and a XS 1100).

Now, I'm no MotoGP rider, but when we stopped at the Cafe, he pulled over beside us, took off his helmet and his hands were visibly shaking as he tried to light a cigarette and said to us "I can't believe we just came up there that quickly" in a very shaky voice....he didn't stop shaking until he'd had his 3rd cigarette and a cup of coffee. Liz couldn't understand why he was so visibly shaken - He'd been pushing "himself" so hard (but not pushing his bike) to stay with us, that he was wayyy out of his comfort zone - but well within our comfort zone and that of most of the other people who rode with us that day. His ego had put in a very dangerous place !!

I can honestly say that no matter how stupid I think I've been (in my youth  :sarcastic:), I've never gotten to that stage on the roads, but I've learned to steer well clear of riding with groups of people I don't really know who are riding supersports bikes - they always seem to have a point to make when they're riding with someone on a "fat old tourer" and their ego's come into play.

I think that's why I love riding around with others on "fat (old) tourers" - no one has a point to make, or an ego to bruise. We're much more likely to be trying to get 200 miles between fill-ups than hit 200 mph and we're much more interested in experiencing the scenery and the "road" than scaring ourselves silly by out braking ourselves on a blind corner trying to be the next Joey Dunlop.

FJ owners rule  :good2: :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

Reminds me of a joke....There was an old bull and a young bull at the top of a hill looking down on a herd of heifers in a field below. The young bull said to the old bull.....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

roortcloud

Greetings & Happy New Year
Some California track day providers recently published their 2022 schedules. If there is any interest including a track day in the West Coast Rally I can say with certainty that Pacific Track Time has scheduled an event on June 4th & 5th at Thunderhill raceway. My idea for this rally is as follows and clearly open to suggestions & change.
Friday/  Ride to Lake Almanor via hwy 32 & back hwy 70. Lunch & meet up at Lake Almanor at a place TBD.
Saturday/ Check PTT for track day schedule or ride to Lake Almanor in opposite direction.
Camping at Thunderhill raceway or at Stony Gorge.
5 or more hotels in nearby town of Willows approximately 2hr 30min to Lake Almanor or 10min to Thunderhill.

krusty

Quote from: ribbert on October 30, 2021, 09:05:55 AM
Quote from: Motofun on October 29, 2021, 07:59:24 AM
It may appear as if I'm encouraging folks to try a trackday...well...because I am.  I don't ride fast on the street anymore, no real need.  The track is so much safer, and faster.  It teaches skills that come in handy when street riding too.  It's probably I stop at this point before I get too preachy.... :flag_of_truce:

Track days are a great idea for a whole host of reasons, you can eliminate just about every hazard encountered on the road - except one, the moron with the rush of blood to the head who goes nuts because he's on a race track.

Phillip Island is one of the fastest tracks on the MotoGP circuit which allows amateurs to swipe out in spectacular fashion. My last (and final) track event saw 7 accidents and the day started with a rider trying to overtake me on the inside of a corner with too much speed and the wrong line and coming within a whisker of clipping my front wheel as he went wide. The next one was almost comical in the scale of his poor judgement, just as I was about to lean into turn 1 (a very fast corner) a guy passed me (on the inside) at warp speed, still on the throttle, still in a straight line and in the centre of the track! He made some attempt to brake just after passing me and a nano second before he ran out of bitumen, he must have left the track at 200kph+. How could he not even make an attempt at such a fast corner? It was not a close call but it could have been, it was only a second or two that separated us and only pure luck that placed us apart. I could not get my head around just how someone's judgement could be bad by such a huge margin.

However, the doozy, the incident that more than any other time in my motorcycling life had me convinced I was about to die, was on the last lap of the day. Three quarters of the way down the front straight a rider had come to a complete stop a bit left of the track centre having decided to exit through a gate that had had been opened just beyond the pits ( I doubt it should have been open ) rather than ride half way round the track to the exit.
Coming up on his left at probably 245K's I did not notice him until I saw his wheel turn full lock and his bike start to turn on it's own length, which you can do when you're stopped! I had no time for anything other than to tuck my elbow in, push my knee hard against the tank and wince. I may have even closed my eyes momentarily, I know I consciously braced expecting impact. I do not know how I missed him, I swear his bike looked to be right in my path, it must have been a hair's breadth.
To put that in perspective, it was probably only a second or so from realising he'd stopped to passing him.

Speaking with one of the operators shortly after, he said the 7 prangs was a record and he'd never seen so much chaos and stupidity on one day. He attributed it to the fact that much of the field had come for the MotoGP two days earlier and and were perhaps still pumped from the racing (or perhaps the booze).

I decided dicing with road hazards had treated me better over the years and I would stick with that.  :biggrin:

The photo below is one I took just 2 mins before the flag dropped for the start of the 2015 MotoGP at Phillip Island, inside turn 2. If I was on the grid and was aware of it's presence, I'd want it removed before I started, as would any motorcyclist that knew about kangaroos.

Having said all that, they are definitely a lot of fun and a great place to learn, if only the sessions could be idiot proofed.

Noel
It's probably a good thing that bikes no longer race at Bathurst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwQC-32R2k
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Flynt

Quote from: roortcloud on January 05, 2022, 09:16:49 PM
Pacific Track Time has scheduled an event on June 4th & 5th at Thunderhill raceway...

Do you know if they'll let me take Diane on the back... :biggrin:

Kidding.  I'm not interested in track days on a bike, but I might come watch.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Flynt

Kind of a discussion restart/refresh...

Is there a plan for 2022 WCR?  I was scheduled to be in Europe on vacation, but the Vlad variant has caused us to postpone...  Where's the party?

Frank

There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

T Legg

Quote from: Flynt on March 10, 2022, 10:21:23 AM
Kind of a discussion restart/refresh...

Is there a plan for 2022 WCR?  I was scheduled to be in Europe on vacation, but the Vlad variant has caused us to postpone...  Where's the party?

Frank

I would attend . I'm not interested in riding on the track but I like the area . A good ride would be over to Oroville to La Porte road up to 70 to Quincy then up to Bucks lake and back down to the Oroville dam.  There are many other good roads up there as well.
       I just finished fixing up my 86 FJ  and its rally worthy . I have a new xjr 1250 engine to replace the one I broke on my yellow 84 but I doubt I'll have it ready in time.
T Legg

andyoutandabout

Frank and Travis, good thread bump.
The 2022 WCR is open to suggestion, as the absence of fireside discussions from previous rallies obviously resulted in no future plans.
Ron has taken the bull by the horns in terms of track days, but since no other parties are interested in that (except for myself. I fancy at least one day of track focused mayhem), then negotiations have stalled.
1) There are some good roads to ride near the Thunder Hill raceway, so there's possibilities in that area. Ron and I rode a curvaceous route when returning from Frank's WCR last year.
2) I could host a Napa valley get together if favored. Some rooms available, camping in back yard also free folks. Some tasty roads here.
3) We turn up at Randy's shop and refuse to leave until he hands out free cakes

life without a bike is just life

roortcloud

Gentlemen,
I researched alternative accommodations for anyone interested in staying at Thunderhill raceway as part of my proposal for the 2022 WCR.
There is a company in Chico that rents travel trailers & can be delivered and picked up for a fee.
I'm sure there're companies that do the same in other nearby cities.
An estimate for a 35' trailer that sleeps 4 is $711. This includes $280 delivery fee, $100 for a 3500w generator, $54 fee that can be deleted if you have the needed insurance.
Trailer would be delivered Friday & returned Sunday.
If anyone is interested in a trailer for their accommodations & don't want to pay the delivery fee, I may be able to help with pick up & return.
Additionally, Pacific Track Time limits the number of riders in each of 3 groups, as most if not all do. So if you're interested reserve your spot ASAP.