News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Give a man a fish

Started by T Legg, September 12, 2021, 06:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

A bit of an "island hopper" journey !!!

What's the range of your chariot ?

I wouldn't have picked this time of year to travel low and slow from Canada. A proper adventure  :good2:

Best of luck for the entire trip - and glad you got some proper fish and chips - I just hope you put plenty of malt vinegar on them and had mushy peas with them too  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Here's a photo taken today (not by me though) of our friends and ex next-door neighbours with a proper plate of fish and chips, up on the coat in Northumberland  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

fj1289

Excellent!  Ours didn't look quire so nice after the long trek back with our food wrapped in paper - but delicious!

It is an M-28 Skytruck.  This one came out of the "bone yard" in Arizona after the US Air Force Special Operations Command trimmed their fleet of these way down several years ago.   We can go 680nm with up to a 30 knot headwind and still land with minimum fuel reserves.   Pretty much exactly what you need to get across the North Atlantic with minimal margins to spare.  Pretty cool little plane - Russian designed, Polish built with P&W PT-6 engines, fixed gear and unpressurized.  We can typically land in 800' or less and takeoff max weight in 1000-1200' - a total hoot to fly once you become accustomed to her peculiarities!  I compare it to driving a hot rodded Jeep - both in where you can go!  And how it feels to take long trips in one!

With luck we'll be in Spain tomorrow night, Nigeria the next night (three fuel stops to get there), Uganda the following night (three more fuel stops e route), and into Nairobi, Kenya for delivery on Monday.  Then three days of training with the Kenyan Air Force pilots and then back home. 

Not bad for a "retirement" job!

fj1289

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 13, 2021, 11:35:49 AM
This Is The Way............

I just started watching that series - NOW I get it!   :Facepalm:

ribbert

Quote from: fj1289 on February 10, 2022, 04:25:46 PM

Excellent!  Ours didn't look quire so nice after the long trek back with our food wrapped in paper - but delicious!

Ah, yes, the moment they're wrapped the steam starts making them soggy. Despite the plethora of fast food chains that have invaded the country, fish and chips remains a national Friday night favourite. Aficionados know the first thing you do is rip open the top of the paper to let the steam escape, or in my case, my local shop knows to not even wrap them so they stay crisp and crunchy, the steam otherwise makes everything limp and soggy almost immediately, and that's just plain wrong.
OMG, chips deep fried in such a way they "snap" in half and the potato inside light and fluffy and fish with crunchy batter, salt, vinegar/ freshly squeezed lemon....I'm salivating at the thought of it.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

T Legg

Quote from: Millietant on September 14, 2021, 09:20:21 AM
- "Chips" in the US are entirely different to the real things we eat with fish here.

Dean , it's getting more difficult to defend American fish and chips all the time .
T Legg