News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Give a man a fish

Started by T Legg, September 12, 2021, 06:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

Quote I heard from my son in law " give a man a fish and he will eat for a day give a man a motorcycle and he will eat fish and chips two hundred miles away " .
T Legg

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Pat Conlon

That's going on my FB page...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Firehawk068

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Millietant

Your son-in-law must be a Brit (or heard the joke from a Brit), Travis  :sarcastic: - "Chips" in the US are entirely different to the real things we eat with fish here.

But, coincidentally, it was just a few weeks ago that my pal Jim and i were discussing this very statement and we decided that the closest seaside town to 200 miles from home, was Aberystwyth - hence our recent "fish and chips" ride  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

T Legg

What you are referring to Dean are our potato chips so good that you can't just eat one.We call your "chips" steak fries. While I can't say our average fish and chips compare to the fish and chips found in England when you order them here they are not served with a bag of potato chips.
Still as over there we would happily ride two hundred miles for a good lunch or even a mediocre lunch.
T Legg

fj1289

That's a funny thing - few Americans understand the US / GB differences of chips and crisps - but everyone knows what fish and chips are!  

My favorite in the local area:

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on September 14, 2021, 12:29:03 PM
That's a funny thing - few Americans understand the US / GB differences of chips and crisps - but everyone knows what fish and chips are!  

My favorite in the local area:

This is my "Go-To" also for Fish and Chips if i want to ride there.

Lately I've been fond of the "On The Hook" Fish and Chips Food-Truck.  It pops up near my house every so often.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Millietant

Quote from: T Legg on September 14, 2021, 12:23:44 PM
What you are referring to Dean are our potato chips so good that you can't just eat one.We call your "chips" steak fries. While I can't say our average fish and chips compare to the fish and chips found in England when you order them here they are not served with a bag of potato chips.
Still as over there we would happily ride two hundred miles for a good lunch or even a mediocre lunch.

Ha Ha - guess what Travis, at Rocco's restaurant in Manchester CT, where all the locals were telling me they have the best fish and chips in the state..........then, when we ordered them, we got fish and crisps...... :sarcastic: :sarcastic:...........they told us they didn't do British "chips. We did get some at Long John Silver's, but they were tasteless "fast-food" fare, not the proper stuff.

Any reason to ride 200 miles to get somewhere is a great one  :good2:
Dean

Millietant

My pal Jim here with our small, fish and chip lunch at Aberystwyth - I saw the "large fish and chips" which was basically double what we had ordered on a single plate, and felt relieved that we had the small.
Dean

T Legg

Dean where is the malt vinegar? I'm glad you guys eat your "chips" with catsup too.
T Legg

ZOA NOM

It's all fun and games until an American puts a torch in your boot...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

T Legg

That would be a proctologist.
T Legg

ribbert

While British style Fish & Chips have found their way into most parts of the world.....

.....the appeal of this quintessential British delicacy has never travelled beyond it's own shores. Something that screams England more than warm beer, Lucas electrics or the Queen herself, the "Chip Butty!"

I know there are expats here who will be salivating at the thought of sinking their choppers into one of these, perhaps even experiencing a pang of home sickness at the sight of one.  :biggrin: But let's not forget those other classic British dishes, Spotted Dick, Toad in the Hole and Bubble & Squeak.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

Quote from: ribbert on September 15, 2021, 03:00:44 AM
While British style Fish & Chips have found their way into most parts of the world.....

.....the appeal of this quintessential British delicacy has never travelled beyond it's own shores. Something that screams England more than warm beer, Lucas electrics or the Queen herself, the "Chip Butty!"

I know there are expats here who will be salivating at the thought of sinking their choppers into one of these, perhaps even experiencing a pang of home sickness at the sight of one.  :biggrin: But let's not forget those other classic British dishes, Spotted Dick, Toad in the Hole and Bubble & Squeak.

Noel

Oh My..... A French Fry Sandwich  :Facepalm:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor