News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

stupid question time :)

Started by 5speed, August 05, 2021, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5speed

How do you remove the tail light lens?
Picked up LED bulbs and for the life of me I can't figure out how it comes off.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

FJmonkey

The bulbs can be changed through the tail section with the seat off. There is a flap that either pulls up or down to access the bulbs. Did you get LEDs with built in resistors? Or add in-line resistors? If not, you may get the rapid flash with the bike thinking a bulb is burned. Not sure if this applies to the tail lights. It does apply to the turn signals.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

5speed

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 05, 2021, 05:25:07 PM
The bulbs can be changed through the tail section with the seat off. There is a flap that either pulls up or down to access the bulbs. Did you get LEDs with built in resistors? Or add in-line resistors? If not, you may get the rapid flash with the bike thinking a bulb is burned. Not sure if this applies to the tail lights. It does apply to the turn signals.
Tks. I was looking in the tail section but didn't want to start pulling on anything in there. lol
I have an electronic flasher as well.
It prevented the rapid flashing on my wing so I'm assuming it will on the fj too.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

red

Quote from: 5speed on August 05, 2021, 05:36:55 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on August 05, 2021, 05:25:07 PMThe bulbs can be changed through the tail section with the seat off. There is a flap that either pulls up or down to access the bulbs. Did you get LEDs with built in resistors? Or add in-line resistors? If not, you may get the rapid flash with the bike thinking a bulb is burned. Not sure if this applies to the tail lights. It does apply to the turn signals.
Tks. I was looking in the tail section but didn't want to start pulling on anything in there. lol  I have an electronic flasher as well.  It prevented the rapid flashing on my wing so I'm assuming it will on the fj too.
5speed,

The OEM flasher is expensive, if you find one.  Not sure how to wire in a conventional flasher, electronic or not.

The tail light assembly will not need resistors, LED or not.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Pat Conlon

5speed, remind me, did your '86 have self canceling turn signals? (my '84 does) if so, you will lose this feature if you go with an electronic flasher.
If you just want to use LED's in your turn signals (aka: flashers) and keep the self canceling feature, keep your oem flasher and use resistors with your LED flasher bulbs.

Cheers.  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

5speed

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 05, 2021, 10:33:32 PM
5speed, remind me, did your '86 have self canceling turn signals? (my '84 does) if so, you will lose this feature if you go with an electronic flasher.
If you just want to use LED's in your turn signals (aka: flashers) and keep the self canceling feature, keep your oem flasher and use resistors with your LED flasher bulbs.

Cheers.  Pat
Tks for the info Pat. Mine doesn't have self cancelling signal lights..or if it does it isn't working.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

5speed

Quote from: red on August 05, 2021, 08:50:32 PM

The OEM flasher is expensive, if you find one.  Not sure how to wire in a conventional flasher, electronic or not.

The tail light assembly will not need resistors, LED or not.
I just looked it up.  :shok:
this would be my luck to buy a bike that doesn't have a garden variety flasher unit.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

5speed

well..she doesn't like 4 LED signal light bulbs. It won't flash, the bulb just lights up. I put the 1156 bulbs back in the rear lights and they flash now.
Not sure I want to get into messing with the flasher or adding resistors..
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Quote from: 5speed on August 06, 2021, 01:14:32 PM
well..she doesn't like 4 LED signal light bulbs. It won't flash, the bulb just lights up. I put the 1156 bulbs back in the rear lights and they flash now.
Not sure I want to get into messing with the flasher or adding resistors..

You can buy resistor bulbs.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Old Rider

Does it exist resistor bulbs with  sockets that fits in the original FJ flasher bulb sockets?

5speed

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 06, 2021, 10:38:20 PM

Yes, not common but they exist
I haven't had any luck finding 1156 bulbs with resistors. For now I'm going to leave it the way it is. I wanted the LED in the front to make me hopefully a bit more visible as they are on all the time.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Quote from: 5speed on August 07, 2021, 08:09:47 AM
Quote from: FJmonkey on August 06, 2021, 10:38:20 PM

Yes, not common but they exist
I haven't had any luck finding 1156 bulbs with resistors. For now I'm going to leave it the way it is. I wanted the LED in the front to make me hopefully a bit more visible as they are on all the time.

You can get the bulbs on line but they are pricey. Maybe ask around and see if someone can fit some in line resistors for you. LED indicators are a great safety item.

I share your concern about safety and being seen and to that end I have LED brake (and tail) light globes and a brake light modulator fitted. The modulator is a beauty, it flashes rapidly when you first apply the brakes then settles into a steady light. The duration and flash rate are both adjustable and I have it set for a couple of seconds flashing at a fast rate, it is really attention grabbing. They're not very expensive and available on eBay.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

5speed

Quote from: ribbert on August 07, 2021, 09:17:36 AM

You can get the bulbs on line but they are pricey. Maybe ask around and see if someone can fit some in line resistors for you. LED indicators are a great safety item.

I share your concern about safety and being seen and to that end I have LED brake (and tail) light globes and a brake light modulator fitted. The modulator is a beauty, it flashes rapidly when you first apply the brakes then settles into a steady light. The duration and flash rate are both adjustable and I have it set for a couple of seconds flashing at a fast rate, it is really attention grabbing. They're not very expensive and available on eBay.

Noel
do you have a source for them?
I have a modulator for the brake lights, it's on my winter to do list. I put one on a friends vulcan for her along with switching out all the lights to led's. Mine isn't adjustable. It flashes 3 times rapidly then goes solid.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Quote from: 5speed on August 08, 2021, 07:24:36 PM

do you have a source for them?

Unfortunately it was a long time ago but I just googled "adjustable brake light modulator" and an entire page of them came up so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

Noel