News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

more surprises coming from my 86

Started by Hemi Bob, July 30, 2021, 12:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Bob

Thank Noel,
I had the same though about starting. when the chain broke the owner was riding. So the bike was running.
He told me the chain broke pulling away from a light. Then  spooled up inside the sprocket cover until it broke the cover.

I did not see any hole in the case as the chain never hit anything other then the slave and shifter shaft.

It bent the shaft to the rear enough the I couldn't pull the shaft out. It had to be cut off inside the clutch housing and pushed out through the hole.
Its to bad the guy didn't have anyone take a look at the bike as its was not  a big repair. It has cost me more in shipping then the parts were worth.

I have put some oil down the spark plug holes and turned the  engine over by hand a couple time every couple days.
I hope to have time this weekend to play with it some more.

Bob
Robert
1985 FJ1100  Original Owner
1986 FJ1200  X Drag Bike
1981 Suzuki GS 1100ex
1981 Suzuki GS 750ex

Hemi Bob

Have not updated this post in a while, August was super hot here in this part of Canada.

Spent more time in the pool than in the hot sticky garage. I have been working on and off the  X race bike on and off.

Today we closed the pool and did some clean-up. Then pushed the bike out onto the driveway, still on the work table to see what will happen

when I hit the starter.

With a couple of fire extinguishers ready. It only took a couple of hits of the starter and it came to life.

After 15 years of sitting in an old garage with what the previous owner told me was a cracked case, this bike will have some more stories to tell.

For $200. and lots of TLC and gaskets seals and o-rings.  Paint stripper to remove all the matte black on everything. lots of polishing compound  on the SS exhaust

I still have more work to do. The rear brake work 2 times then nothing I won't try riding it until a can go through all the brakes.

I still have to clean out 15 years of gas that is still in the tank 1/2 full.

Bob
Check out the links below, to see the start-up video and walk around.

https://youtu.be/aJif9H9B8Ek

https://youtu.be/t9B6X0jm8YY

https://youtu.be/sFE5mJtqBMc
Robert
1986 FJ1200  X Drag Bike
1981 Suzuki GS 1100ex
1981 Suzuki GS 750ex

ribbert

Quote from: Hemi Bob on October 03, 2021, 07:23:18 PM

I have been working on and off the  X race bike on and off.........It only took a couple of hits of the starter and it came to life.

After 15 years of sitting in an old garage with what the previous owner told me was a cracked case, this bike will have some more stories to tell.

For $200. and lots of TLC and gaskets seals and o-rings. 

Well done Bob, it looks great and not even smoky (other than running rich) or noisy and the clean up job is a credit to you.

Of course you realise you've failed miserably in your original quest to buy a parts a bike - you still don't have one! :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Hemi Bob

Thanks Noel
I guess I'm back looking for a parts bike LOL.
When i first came here in 2010 I saw many guy here had multiple FJ's.
I've read many time this is how it all starts.
I bought a few parts just to have a few spares

I truly bought this bike because I wanted the cylinder head for my 85 (dropped a valve seat )
When i saw the 86 sitting in the garage with a bucket of oil under it and the chain stuck inside it.
I figured i could sell some parts and keep the cylinder head.
The more I got into it I found it may not be scrap after all.
Now it runs again , I'll rebuild the calipers and scrap the anti dive.
Once i know it will stop , we'll see how it rides. 
I'm  still looking for that  cylinder head, maybe its still attached to another bike  :wacko3: 

Bob
my 85

Robert
1986 FJ1200  X Drag Bike
1981 Suzuki GS 1100ex
1981 Suzuki GS 750ex

ribbert

Quote from: Hemi Bob on October 04, 2021, 09:40:47 PM

Bob
my 85

Haha, that's not how it starts, that's how you get another bike past "security" and into the garage - "...Just a few spares... what? a whole bike?.... yeah I guess is does sort of look like that from there.... I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it...."

You heard about the guy whose greatest fear of dying was that his wife would find out how much he'd really spent on his bike.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj1289

Quote from: ribbert on October 05, 2021, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Hemi Bob on October 04, 2021, 09:40:47 PM

Bob
my 85

Haha, that's not how it starts, that's how you get another bike past "security" and into the garage - "...Just a few spares... what? a whole bike?.... yeah I guess is does sort of look like that from there.... I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it...."

You heard about the guy whose greatest fear of dying was that his wife would find out how much he'd really spent on his bike.
Noel

Worse yet - she sells it for what you've told her you have in it!!!

giantkiller

I have no wife. I guess that's why I have 12 motorcycles.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

ribbert

Quote from: fj1289 on October 05, 2021, 09:10:30 AM

Worse yet - she sells it for what you've told her you have in it!!!

Haha, thanks Chris, that is indeed the punch line, I didn't think it looked right. :good:

Noel