News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Returning member....

Started by Phil_jb, May 22, 2021, 04:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_jb

Hello to all

It's been a very long time (10 yrs at least) since I've posted here and I'm glad this site still exists. I recently pulled my FJ out of storage with the intent of getting her running again since it's been sitting for far too long.  I haven't gone thru the entire site here yet but I'm sure there are resources available to help me along. I've attached a list of stuff I need to do and I'm looking for tips and suggestions just in case I missed something. I'm really quite familiar with working on it but in no way am I an expert.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being here.

FJmonkey

Welcome Phil, your list is hard to read but seems full. Nothing has changed in the last ten years except all the new good items from RPM and added content to the forum. Read up and find a rally near you.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ajacstern

Hi Phil, looks like a good list. If it has been sitting for 10 years I would replace both the back and front tires, not sure if your list is indicating that. If you suspect something might have gotten in the cylinders, cranking it over with the spark plugs out first may be a good idea. If the carbs have been sitting with gas an ultrasonic clean may be best, soda blasting can help in getting solidified gas off. I also highly recommend the foam filters from RPM. I think they are little quieter and a little more restrictive than the K&N ones, but they certainly protect the engine better and actually fit on the bike without 30 minutes of finagling!

Phil_jb

Quote from: ajacstern on May 22, 2021, 10:57:54 PM
Hi Phil, looks like a good list. If it has been sitting for 10 years I would replace both the back and front tires, not sure if your list is indicating that. If you suspect something might have gotten in the cylinders, cranking it over with the spark plugs out first may be a good idea. If the carbs have been sitting with gas an ultrasonic clean may be best, soda blasting can help in getting solidified gas off. I also highly recommend the foam filters from RPM. I think they are little quieter and a little more restrictive than the K&N ones, but they certainly protect the engine better and actually fit on the bike without 30 minutes of finagling!

I added replacing the tires since they have sidewall cracks and all the brake lines too. Pretty much all the mechanical stuff I'll be able to get done easily from what I've seen here on the site. My biggest worry is repairing the cracks at the mount points on the upper fairing. It's in pretty bad shape so I'm considering using fiberglass to rebuild and reinforce from the backside so I don't have to worry about paint. Same for the lower fairing too unfortunately. I'm doing the research as to the best method of using fiberglass so it won't be some kit off the shelf at your local auto parts store.

giantkiller

Best way to fix plastic is plastex or plastifix. Been discussed many times here. Can be reinforce with fiberglass cloth. But actually is part of the piece.  I have several pieces to fix that had fiberglass with resin. That someone previously put on. That have  let loose..
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Ted Schefelbein

When I got into the upper fairing on my FJ, two of the tabs to hold the turn signal assemblies were broken off. Thankfully, the previous owner put them in the latched compartment. I super glued them to get them in the original location, and overlaid them with Kevlar cloth saturated with 3M 2216 structural adhesive. I ground the excess off when it dried, and drilled new holes. I would advise you to use a very sharp drill bit.

They haven't broken off.

Good luck on your project.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

Millietant

Also, think about using a hot staple gun to hold plastics together over any repaired cracks (on the insides where they're not visible.

Aviationfred has gotten fantastic results using these staples on a fairing with serious damage after a failed theft attempt.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.