News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

The underside of a Tesla car

Started by aviationfred, May 06, 2021, 10:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

Ever wonder what the underside of a Tesla looks like?

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

The Energizer Bunny must be pissed. Might even cancel Easter..
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Motofun

Speaking of Teslas....I was stuck in very long traffic jam yesterday, next to a guy in Tesla.  It was hot so everyone was running their AC...........except the poor guy in his electric car.  He must have been low on battery so he was stuck not running his AC, windows down and not very happy.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

red

Quote from: Motofun on May 07, 2021, 06:47:19 AMSpeaking of Teslas....I was stuck in very long traffic jam yesterday, next to a guy in Tesla.  It was hot so everyone was running their AC...........except the poor guy in his electric car.  He must have been low on battery so he was stuck not running his AC, windows down and not very happy.
Motfun,

Yeah, the electrics are not quite there, yet.  I believe that electric cars today should carry a reasonable genset (maybe like a Honda camp unit?) that they could fire up on the rare occasions when it may be needed.  Not big enough to fully recharge the car while driving, of course, but a "range extender" that could at least power the AC and other accessories if needed, or handle the needs of stop-and-go traffic.

I do want an electric car (or anything better, in terms of fossil fuel and emissions), but for now, some reasonable compromises are needed.  Now, I consider this time  to be the biplane era of car development.  Maybe we did build some decent biplanes once, but in time, they got replaced by jets.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Millietant

The whole object of electric cars is that they do away with fossil fuel power totally. There was a meme/cartoon doing the rounds a while back of a smug guy driving his electric car telling everyone how his car had "zero emissions", but towed behind the car was a fossil fuel powered power station, pumping out emissions a little way. Whine the car. That was intended to be a total joke.....................

To have an electric car, that uses a fossil fuel powered ICE to charge its battery is, to me, a complete joke (just like the meme/cartoon) - which sums up my feelings about today's crop of battery electric vehicles and especially the hybrids with "range extenders", or those now described as "self charging" - yeah, they self charge, or "range extend", by turning on a gasoline powered internal combustion engine to generate electricity to charge the batteries which run the car.

I'd LOVE a proper electric car - but they just don't make them yet. At work we tried Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered electric 90 tonne dumper trucks and they were astonishing !!!! Instant power, quiet running, reliable, cheap to run - they were just STUPENDOUSLY expensive to buy and our parent company weren't prepared to make the huge up-front capital investment in replacing our fleet with new Electric ones.

We also ran a fleet of vans for our highway inspectors. These vans ran 24/7 on a 3 shift basis. When we tried to operate with Battery electric vans, we found the down-time for charging meant that we needed more than twice as many vans in our fleet to maintain our work programme. Our client wanted us to be "environmentally friendly" and said they would pay the extra for using electric vans vs diesel powered vans- they lost their resolve after 3 months and simply decided they couldn't afford it. Our inspectors hated using them, because they spent more time driving to and from depots to swap for freshly charged vans, than they did actually working.

Once the technology has been developed properly I'll be straight in to buy one, but right now, they're about as much use to me, as a chocolate fire guard.

:Facepalm:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

red

Quote from: Millietant on May 07, 2021, 03:09:35 PMThe whole object of electric cars is that they do away with fossil fuel power totally.
Millietant,

You missed a word - "rare."  Of course nobody would run an on-board ICE power plant, unless there was a power shortfall with the regular drive system.
Once people understand that charging the batteries is NO different than filling the gas tank (meaning, essential for whatever length of trip), then the ICE power plant would rarely be used.  The few instances when it might be needed will only be covering the (operator-induced?) shortfalls.  I mean, people run out of gas often enough with ICE cars.  Are those ICE cars, out of gas, equally "defective?"  Every vehicle has its' operational limits.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ZOA NOM

Where are we supposed to get all this electricity?
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Bones

Why can't they just fit high output alternators to each wheel so as soon as the car starts moving the battery's getting charged, that way there'd be no need to plug it in every night and theoretically you'd have endless range of travel. :unknown:
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

giantkiller

I'm not a tree hugger. I have a net zero house. Not because of global warming. Personally I kinda like global warming. I have a net zero house because I want to not have any bills. When if I can retire. And I want to work less hours until then. I have a smart car. Not because it gets 48mpg. Even when I hammer on it. Because I want to stick a turbo charged sled motor in it. And freak people out when they get smoked by a smart car. 300+hp in a 1500lb car. I want to have an electric car and or motorcycle.  Because they are insanely fast. And I can charge them with my solar.

Mother nature will recover. She'll just kill us off. If she feels like it and get back to business. Growing the next things she likes.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

ZOA NOM

That's fine if you wanna drive within range of your solar, but if everybody drives one, there isn't enough real estate in the whole country for the windmills and solar panels needed to charge them all.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Millietant

Quote from: red on May 07, 2021, 03:29:48 PM
Quote from: Millietant on May 07, 2021, 03:09:35 PMThe whole object of electric cars is that they do away with fossil fuel power totally.
Millietant,

You missed a word - "rare."  Of course nobody would run an on-board ICE power plant, unless there was a power shortfall with the regular drive system.
Once people understand that charging the batteries is NO different than filling the gas tank (meaning, essential for whatever length of trip), then the ICE power plant would rarely be used.  The few instances when it might be needed will only be covering the (operator-induced?) shortfalls.  I mean, people run out of gas often enough with ICE cars.  Are those ICE cars, out of gas, equally "defective?"  Every vehicle has its' operational limits.

I didn't miss the "rare" Red, but when hybrids are only designed to run for less than 40 miles (and many less than 20 miles) on battery power, then the ICE engine runs a LOT of the time.

My issue with battery electric vehicles isn't necessarily the range, it's the time it takes to achieve enough of a recharge to go the same distance again. What use is a car with a 200 mile range that takes upwards of 4 hours to get up to another 200 miles range or for that matter, one that takes 90 minutes to recharge - the recharging time means potentially half of your journey time on a 300 mile journey will be spent sitting stationary at a charging point.

For 5 years I was frequently making the 900 mile drive from CT to IN and back in my mother-in-laws Subaru economy car. That journey (with multiple drivers) usually took 14-15 hrs, including refuelling stops. How long would that journey take in a battery electric vehicle??? - and how much would it cost for 4 people to make that journey by plane, with a 90 hire car mile journey from the airport in IN and parking fees at the airport in CT.

My final issues with Battery Electric Carsat the moment are 1) the proposals (licences already applied for) for mass deep ocean floor dredging (and the utter devastation to marine habitat) to mine enough cobalt to meet the demand for batteries and 2) where the heck is all of this electricity going come from and what happens in power cuts?

In the U.K., we're already at breaking point with our power generation capacity, even before we all switch to charging our BEV cars overnight.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

giantkiller

Quote from: ZOA NOM on May 07, 2021, 05:42:17 PM
That's fine if you wanna drive within range of your solar, but if everybody drives one, there isn't enough real estate in the whole country for the windmills and solar panels needed to charge them all.
You kinda missed my point.  I really don't care where the electricity comes from. Or their range. Although I have 10+kilowatts and have enough room on my roof for 18 total. But they are/can be insanely fast.

I'm just a little power hungry.

Okay you guys can continue arguing about their practicality.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1