News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

losing my bearings

Started by andyoutandabout, March 07, 2021, 07:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

Peeps, a quick comparison if you please.
putting my rear wheel back on after getting some lovely new shoes fitted.
Started to re-grease axles and spacers, but came to the bearings, which are sealed, when I think what used to happen doesn't happen anymore.
I'm pretty sure I would stick a rubber gloved finger in the hole and this would provide enough grip to turn the inner bearing surface.
This occasion, it didn't turn. there's no sideways slack and using a taped up extension bar I got the inner ring to move but both sides aren't what you would call smooth.
sprayed it with WD silicon spray, but I guess, since they are sealed, it doesn't get in there.
this didn't seem to make much difference anyway.
so I guess my real question is -
What is the life span of rear wheel bearings?
I figure these have about 100,000 miles on them.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

T Legg

I would say about 90,000 on yours. They definitely should roll easily and smoothly. I replaced a set on my black 84' at 70,000 because they rolled roughly.
T Legg

ribbert

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 07, 2021, 07:06:38 PM
Peeps, a quick comparison if you please.
putting my rear wheel back on after getting some lovely new shoes fitted.
Started to re-grease axles and spacers, but came to the bearings, which are sealed, when I think what used to happen doesn't happen anymore.
I'm pretty sure I would stick a rubber gloved finger in the hole and this would provide enough grip to turn the inner bearing surface.
This occasion, it didn't turn. there's no sideways slack and using a taped up extension bar I got the inner ring to move but both sides aren't what you would call smooth.
sprayed it with WD silicon spray, but I guess, since they are sealed, it doesn't get in there.
this didn't seem to make much difference anyway.
so I guess my real question is -
What is the life span of rear wheel bearings?
I figure these have about 100,000 miles on them.
Andy

Chuck 'em!

Wheel bearings are shot long before you can feel the roughness turning them by hand (when there's no load on them).
Don't forget to replace the carrier bearing while you're at it and only use brand name bearings, it doesn't matter whose brand, just as long as it's known, it won't cost you any more.
Don't pick the seal out and add more grease to the replacements, the manufacturers have already figured that out for you.

Local bearing services have those sizes and they cost not much more than a cup of coffee per item.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Yes, on new bearings....don't forget you have 3 in the back...include the sprocket hub.

Might as well also do the front.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyoutandabout

Yeses all round then for renewal.
I found a video of how to pop off the seal and repack, which I managed easily enough.
Still far from smooth though.
They looked clean enough, no rust, still a bit of original grease, so I gather they are just out of tolerance.
At least they'll get me to the RPM shop.
One doesn't mess with seals and bearings; there's a knack that one doesn't have when it comes to seating them right (ref, my fork seal attempts)

Mark Olson

Hey Andy, change your bearings and you will go faster.

Also , how is your chain and sprockets?
It's spring so go thru the fluids as well.
like clutch and the brakes.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

How is that chain slider holding up?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyoutandabout

Tires on, wheels back in.
Ready to bug up helmet Mark.
Soon as rain moves on.
Note, RPM is temporarily out of bearings front and rear, so that'll have to wait.
As for the chain slider Monkey, I guess it's good, I didn't really look at it.
Note, check chain slider tomorrow

Mark Olson

Alright Andy,

sounds like you are getting ready for action.  :good:

Now i gotta few things to do myself.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"