2021 WCR, Cove Palisades State Park, June 4-6, 2021

Started by racerrad8, January 15, 2021, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Calling all FJer's

The 2021 WCR is being hosted at Cove Palisades State Park, Oregon.

Dates:
June 4th - 6th
Many arrive on Thursday (June 4th) and depart Sunday Morning (June 6th). The rides this year are being coordinated for all three days for those who can stay and ride Sunday. Campfire sessions are held Thur-Sat night to talk everything FJ and so much more.

Culver, OR 97734
Phone: 800-452-5687 or 541-546-3412
Website: https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=24

This years host, Frank (Flynt) has posted several accommodations below and in this prior topic: 2021 Rally

Quote from: Flynt on January 12, 2021, 11:33:34 AM
Accommodation options I know of are:

1.  Cove Palisades State Park...  they have a few cabins, but I suspect they are booked already.  They also have lots of camping and RV camping spots and we're pretty much surrounded by Federal land where camping is OK and free.  If camping or RV is your plan, take a look and see if you can lock something down.

2.  Hotel/Motel in Redmond or Madras, 20-30 miles from Cove Palisades...  Even Bend could be an option, but that's 45 minutes from the Park.  We can arrange morning meet ups and group lunches during the rides, then maybe have a group dinner/get together.  Not ideal, but no hotels out this way.

3.  Air BnB...  we live on what's called the Grandview Peninsula and I know there are some private home rentals in areas called 3 Rivers, Airport Park, Forrest Park, and Rim Park (where we live).  Something out here would be ok, but services out this way are very limited...  plan to go to the Cove Palisades Marina or there are a few places in Culver to get any prepared food.  Culver has a Dollar General, but real groceries require a trip to Madras or Terrebonne.  

So my suggestion is somebody (Travis?) take the plunge, set the date, and make some reservations...  then start an attendee list with name and your plans so others can make their plans.  I'd encourage people to stay in the area longer if you can...  Crater Lake, Newberry Caldera, Sisters/Camp Sherman, Mt Hood/Hood River, etc...  lots of things around us that could make a very nice trip...  (Maybe Derek and Donna can weigh in, they are familiar with the area).

Once we have a list of folks that will make the trek up here, I'll take up the task of planning rides, lunch stops, and a group dinner location.  Please feel free to ask questions as you're working through your plans, but I'm not going to do any planning around the lodging...  that'll be on you.

Frank

PS - Palisades has several camping options...  you'll want Crooked River for the best location, other than the cabins which are right at the Marina.  Avoid Perry South and Monte...  they're another 20minutes past our place and, although very nice, are really off the beaten path and require extended travel on gravel roads to get to.

With this announcement, we already have FJer's ready to get 2021 rolling. If you are attending or are a possible attendee, please add your name to the list so the planning may commence for this annual pilgrimage for all the FJ has to offer.
If you are open to sharing an accommodation, put that next to your name.

Attending:

Frank (Flynt) and Diane
Travis (T Legg)
Ian (I Legg)
Kurt (yamaha fj rider)

Possible:
Andyoutandabout
FJmonkey

Randy - RPM

yamaha fj rider

Count me in. Reservation made.

Hope to see everyone there.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

andyoutandabout

Shout out to Frank for cowboying up and making a rally a reality.

Attending:

Frank (Flynt) and Diane
Travis (T Legg)
Ian (I Legg)
Kurt (yamaha fj rider)

Possible:
Andyoutandabout
life without a bike is just life

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ZOA NOM

Attending:

Frank (Flynt) and Diane
Travis (T Legg)
Ian (I Legg)
Kurt (yamaha fj rider)

Possible:
Andyoutandabout
FJmonkey
ZOANOM
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

racerrad8

All covid and/or political content deleted.

Any future content with anything other than rally related will be deleted.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Flynt

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 17, 2021, 05:59:31 PM

Randy - RPM

Thank you Randy...

To be clear the Rally will of course be dependent on the situation with the Pandemic...  For now we could have the Rally and be compliant with the restrictions here...  I'm hopeful it will only get better.  I tend to be very optimistic and hope to see you guys (even Rick) this year.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

FJ1200W

Randy - RPM

Thank you!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1200W on January 18, 2021, 06:34:15 PM

Randy - RPM

Thank you!

You beat me to it, thankyou for thanking Randy.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Zari

I would certainly like to make this Oregon trip.  

Frank (Flynt) and Diane
Travis (T Legg)
Ian (I Legg)
Kurt (yamaha fj rider)

Possible:
Andyoutandabout
FJmonkey
ZOANOM
Zari

Flynt

Quote from: Zari on March 04, 2021, 11:06:39 AM

Hope to see you Craig!  You should book an RV site near Travis and tow up, maybe even stay for a bit longer to check out the area...  You guys will be across the road from the lake, about 3 miles from the marina cafe and the cabins, and a couple miles from my house.  

All - I'm happy to see some interest and I'll invest some time to make sure the rides are worthwhile.  Hopefully most of the accommodation requirements can be met.  Camp and RV sites are filling quickly and I'm getting nowhere trying to reserve the local cabins, so might be time to pursue other options for those that aren't campers (and campers should get something reserved!).  So far only two I know of would need a cabin...  let's add lodging status to the list so I can help folks find a place to lay down.

Frank

Zari

Quote from: Flynt on March 04, 2021, 09:16:23 PM
Quote from: Zari on March 04, 2021, 11:06:39 AM

Hope to see you Craig!  You should book an RV site near Travis and tow up, maybe even stay for a bit longer to check out the area...  You guys will be across the road from the lake, about 3 miles from the marina cafe and the cabins, and a couple miles from my house.  

All - I'm happy to see some interest and I'll invest some time to make sure the rides are worthwhile.  Hopefully most of the accommodation requirements can be met.  Camp and RV sites are filling quickly and I'm getting nowhere trying to reserve the local cabins, so might be time to pursue other options for those that aren't campers (and campers should get something reserved!).  So far only two I know of would need a cabin...  let's add lodging status to the list so I can help folks find a place to lay down.

Frank

Looking forward to the trip Frank, still debating on taking the camper

Flynt

I got my first jab last week...  and the way the shots are going it's looking like we can pull this off safely.

I know Travis has a camping spot and Ramos a cabin, but not sure if any others have reserved space already?  If not, you should jump on it...  might already be late.  Cabins were and are full, we got lucky during a glitch in reservations and got one...  but that's it.

Going out for a scouting ride tomorrow...  and to try a lunch stop I've had my eye on.  75 and sunny all day so Spring is definitely here.

Frank

T Legg

A couple of weeks ago while on a stop during a ride up Geiger grade I made a stupid mistake. I forgot to put my side stand up and apparently the safety switch wasn't working so off I went. I was doing fifty to sixty mph when I leaned into my first left hand corner. The kickstand dug in to the pavement I realized what was happening and tried to straighten up but had to  make the tight corner. The bike hooked left and high sided tossing me onto my shoulder and chest. The bike flipped over me and landed seatside down next to me. Surprisingly it only received moderate damage. It broke the rear grab rail,smashed the windscreen and mirrors,bent the brake handle and left foot peg tore off the ignition side cover and put a dent in the tank and a few small cracks in the fairing. All of that of that is repairable in fact my son rode the bike back down to the house. I received four broken ribs and a grade three clavicle seperation. I was hoping I would heal up in time for the rally and I think I will be riding again by then but just before I took the ride I finished taking my black fj engine out to reverse the first gear I had installed backwards when I put an undercut gear set in last October. I have been able to go back to limited work after the first week but I don't think I'll be healed up enough in time to finish the repair and reinstall the motor. I have a campsite reserved that can be used by anybody who wants to attend the rally. If anyone is interested just let me know. I was really looking forward to going I think it going to be a great time for those who make it. If somehow I do get the bike back together in time we could share the campsite ( I have been vaccinated) they allow up to six per campsite.
            Travis Legg
T Legg