News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ2400 - Bonneville Land Speed Racer

Started by freakhousecustoms, January 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Fuel class?  I missed that.....what fuel are you planning to run?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 28, 2021, 01:31:16 PM
Fuel class?  I missed that.....what fuel are you planning to run?

Haha!  So now you're going to get some small insight on The Cheapness of Fran.

At the sanctioned events, a GAS class means you have to run the gasoline provided at the event.  At The Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials, the lowest octane rating you can get is 100 and it's about $17/gallon!  :shok:

If I go through 10 gallons in an event, I don't want my fuel bill to be almost $200... so in FUEL class you can run anything.  I run 87 Octane that I get out of the pump at the Sinclair on the corner, right before I hit the Salt.  Unless I remember to fill a jug with 85 Octane from California.  Unlike most, I race in Fuel class not so I can run some exotic, power adding fuel, but because I want to run pump gas.  Cuz I'm cheap.
:sarcastic:
The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

giantkiller

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

racerrad8

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on February 28, 2021, 10:33:15 AM
The complete stock wiring harness will be used - even though I could definitely cut out half of it...

Please, please rewire the bike, please.

You can use the factory shut off switch and starter button, but the rest needs to go away. If there is one weak link of the FJ it is the wiring system.

If you wire the engines by the diagram I sent, you can have it running on separate systems.

If you need head and tail lights, then you can wire those into a different switch and eliminate a bunch of problems and weight by wiring it yourself. If you don't want to have problems out on the salt, you best bet is for you to completely require the bike.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 28, 2021, 08:49:13 PM

Oh damn...  see!  Now you're scaring me!

I've ridden the one bike for the last year with zero problems... like at all.  No electrical problems, nor mechanical problems.  Thru rain/sleet and snow.  I think 101ºF was the hottest I've ridden her and -3ºF was the lowest.  I would hope any issues would have popped up when she was my daily rider... but now I'm scared.

Not sure if a total rewire will work it's way into the schedule, but (now) what I will do is build the beginnings of a back-up harness and bring my box-o-spare-harnesses with me to The Salt along with a bunch of electrical tape.  I'm scared, but right now I'm not worried...   write this down, cuz I hope I won't be eating my words come August!

:wacko3:

freakhousecustoms

Top Tube Bent Up! :)
She's all starting to come together now!

Click pic to watch the video:

fj1289

Just found this while trying to drain my well tank (don't ask ...  :dash2:) - amazing how long it takes to empty when the stem of the shutoff valve breaks in the nearly closed position.  :unknown:

Single tube or dual tube back bone?  Dual I assume.  What's the secret to making them the same with a bender?  Measure and make each bend and then bend to the same angles — assuming the spring back will be the same for both?  Didn't see you writing any of it down - magic of editing or eidetic memory for stuff like that?

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: fj1289 on February 28, 2021, 11:56:28 PM
Just found this while trying to drain my well tank (don't ask ...  :dash2:) - amazing how long it takes to empty when the stem of the shutoff valve breaks in the nearly closed position.  :unknown:

When I removed the tank on the black bike, it didn't have any gas in it.  When I removed the tank on the blue bike, I dumped gas everywhere until I found that there WAS a shutoff valve on the petcock! 
I just assumed vacuum operated.  Nice to see a manual shutoff.

I'm sorry - my original drawings are confusing because, honestly, I was confused when I drew them.  I bought the steel months prior and I forgot that I had bought the 1.5" OD for the SINGLE top tube and the 1"OD for everything else.  When I started drawing I drew it as a double top tube (1"), but then when I broke out the steel I "found" the 1.5"... pretty easy to find since I bought them in 10-foot-long pieces. LOL!

racerrad8

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on February 28, 2021, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: racerrad8 on February 28, 2021, 08:49:13 PM
Oh damn...  see!  Now you're scaring me
You're building a race bike. If you want the best performance possible then the bike should be properly wired to ensure the coils have the required power supply, the fuel pump is the proper power supply and no "safety device" causes you issues while your on the salt.

It would suck to have a kick stand or neutral switch fail and have the bike shit off every time you drop it into gear.

Send me those carbs as soon as you can so we can get them ready. Pull the pick-up coils too and send them along so I can add some timing too.

I know this is a budget build, but spending money wisely (like properly wiring the bike) will ensure you are successful in your endeavor.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

freakhousecustoms

And, for my next trick... I saw the neck out of this frame! LOL!!!

Click Pic To Watch Video:

fj1289

My first thought was "how do you use a cut-off wheel with the handle or safety shield still on it?!

Second question - which frame is this double registered under?!   :lol:

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: fj1289 on March 08, 2021, 02:19:30 AM
My first thought was "how do you use a cut-off wheel with the handle or safety shield still on it?!
Ha!  I was unlucky enough to witness a horrible accident with one and I'm still terrified of the tool to this day.
I only remove the handle when I can't physically fit the grinder in the spot where I want to cut and that gives me the willies.
:bomb:
For someone who CHOOSES to metal-shape for fun, I'm quite timid with all the tools required.

Second question - which frame is this double registered under?!   :lol:

I haven't decided yet.  The Blue bike was an 89 and the Black bike was a 90.  Both frames are already hacked up now, but both will live on to be registered as FJ1200's.  I already have a plan for a single engine "Funny Bike" to test if the sound ordinances up in Denver are still in place... ;)

:wacko2:

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 01, 2021, 07:32:34 PM
You're building a race bike.

I don't want to mislead anyone.  I'm building a Street bike that I'm going to race.

I don't consider myself a "racer", only a guy who races.  To call me a racer would be insulting to the actual folks that are much more dedicated, focused and more talented than me in that arena.  I actually don't subscribe to the "-ers".  I don't consider myself a buildER either, just a guy who like to tinker and build stuff in his garage.  I've stood in the garages of true builders, who - after seeing them work - make me want to go home and break my own fingers so I have an excuse to never pick up a wrench and embarrass myself further. 

I'm DIY to a fault, if only to inspire others to Try It Yourself.  I'm, honestly, the least qualified guy to be building a(nother) dual-engine motorcycle, but for me it's equally about the Journey (the build) as it is the Destination (record-attempt).   I mean, isn't that why we ride motorcycles in the first place?

:good2:

fj1289

The funny bike idea looks outrageous!  And good!   Supercharger or turbo?  I'm assuming conventional ignition vice the dual magnetos driven off the right side of the crank?  Car tire or a 240 or 300 on the rear?  Lots of possibilities....

freakhousecustoms

Have you seen these "AMR 500" superchargers?  Tiny little things that come off some 1.3L truck in Japan.  Tons of moto-guys are using them, they're stupid cheap with like 4 moving parts in total.
Eventually I'd go turbo, but an LSR buddy of mine ran an AMR 300 on his 350cc Moto Guzzi and he was going as fast as I was (he might have even gone faster) on my stock motor'd GS1100E land speed bike!

I think a 265 is a 10" tire, right?  I'd probably go with something like that... it's really more about how tall a sidewall I can find to get "The Look".
:rofl2:

#soManyIdeasSoLittleTime