News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

500 mile trip question

Started by Firecop119, May 11, 2010, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firecop119

hello all, i love fj1200's but have really never takin a long trip on one before and have been thinking about taking a 500 mile one way trip to wisconsin. 1000 miles round trip. the 1000 will be 500 there and 500 back and have a couple days visiting inbetween. my question is what to expect for fatigue from 500 miles in a day or should i reconcider. i have done long trips on cruisers like this but not on a fj. i just dont want to get 300 miles away and regret it. any input would be great.  thanks scott

racerman_27410

depends on what kind of riding shape you are in and what kind of route you will be taking.

back roads or highway ?

500 mile days are not hard as long as you stay properly hydrated ( i suggest a camelbak ) and take a few minutes to walk around at fuel stops.

i think the FJ is a fine mount for long distance riding... expecially the later models with the larger fairing.

Kookaloo!

Frank

Yamifj1200

No worries mate, Go for it just get on yer horse and ride... Hell Im looking at a 1,000 mile ride this weekend.... Drink plenty of water and take breaks when you need to. Gas up the FJ and roll on.... I hope you have a great ride.....

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

FJmonkey

I bought my 86 just to commute from SoCal to NorCal (about 400 one way) every two weeks. I also took an epic ride (epic for me). Los Angeles to Phoenix, Phoenix to Tombstone AZ and then Sedona AZ, Sedona to San Jose CA, Then back home. Total mileage was about 1700 miles in 10 days. I was a seasoned rider taking this trip and had no major comfort issues. Keep hydrated, bathroom every stop (even if you don't feel the need), Stretch your legs every stop and enjoy the ride.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj1289

Depending on when and where you are riding, make sure you stay warm too.  In 60 degree temps at 60 mph, your body loses heat like it is in 30 degrees.  During 8 - 10 hours of riding, you can lose a lot more body heat than you'd imagine. 

Have fun!  The FJ is great for these type trips!

andyb

Earplugs will increase your ability to ride a distance with less fatigue also.

The FJ has a pretty ideal riding position for going big distances, but it's still wearing compared to a drive.  Assume an average of 50mph because you'll need to stop regularly, and you're looking at a 10 hour day--a bit on the long side for fun, but doable.

rktmanfj

+1 on the hydration and wind chill issues...

My longest trip on the FJ was Indy to St. Louis...  via Bozeman.

3800 mi - 8 days, including a day and a half break in Denver

863 mi on the last day.

500 miles on an FJ is nothing...     :good:

Randy T
Indy

simi_ed

I did about 550 returning from the 2008 WCR, in about 8 hours.  It was wearing, to put it mildly.  Ear plugs & hydration were a must.  1 stop for fuel, 1 stop for fuel + food.  That was it.  Ran indicated ~85 (70?) most of the way down 101/5 from Willits to LA. 
It can be done, but I don't recommend it.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

weymouth399

I must be a girly rider, I start getting stiff after 200 mi. with a stock seat. (soon to change) Back road riding, I don't like the highway unless it's spring and it's the only clear & dry road. I am just getting back into it. 1100 mi. this spring trying to prep myself for the NE rally. So I would build up to it.
20 plus years w/out a street bike and many dirt bike injuries later, I'm a little stiffer than most 46 year olds.
Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Fred

That's a tough question to answer without knowing you, it really depends on the shape you are in.  +1 on the hydration and ear plugs. If you've done that kind of milage on a cruiser I wouldn't think you would  have a problem. Unless you have bad knees or something, in which case some thoughtful mods would be a big help.
I've ridden to the ECFR a couple times and its a minimum of 500 miles for me. If go all Interstate (the shortest route) I just need to stretch my right leg every now and again... before my knee gets stiff, that and fight the boredom. If I take the Blue Ridge Parkway I have neither of those problems even though it takes a lot longer. Oh, I've found it helpful to have some Ibuprofen handy just in case I forget to stretch my bum knee.

Travis398

i would recommend taking an after noon to go for a 200 mile ride and see how you feel after the ride, and the next day, if all is well you should be good to go.
for me it was the elbows that hurt, i had to learn to keep my arms bent more.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Mark Olson

Just get on  your bad motor scooter and ride.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

pdxfj

For me the ride to the WCR sucks because I am not accustomed to riding that far.  Although the ride back is great since I'm more in shape.

If you have good weather were you're at take a couple of good day rides before your 500 run.  Pay attention to your gear and such.  Something as simple as a flap being blown around by the wind may not be a big deal, but becomes very annoying after several hours.  Small things like that can be very draining.

Get a camel pack, and some ear plugs.  If you can get some music into your helmet.. it really helps pass the time.

Willits is about 550 miles from my place which isn't bad.  For the times we are in Petaluma I split the ride down into two days, but do the 700 mile ride back in one day.  By the time I get back from Petaluma I feel like someone has beat me with a 2x4.