Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

4th Annual RPM Fall Rally. Oct 9th - 11th, 2020

Started by racerrad8, February 07, 2020, 12:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: Capn Ron on September 06, 2020, 02:58:31 PM
I'll be missing this rally...

Dog gone it Ron, I was hoping to get a one year update of your 2019 RPM Rally mod.

Pencil in October 8-10, 2021 now...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

I'm not quite sure yet, but due to recent events I might have to cancel the RPM Rally this year.

Two things in my plate that are pending and have to get done sooner than later.

#1 Robert was injured last weekend so he is sidelined for an I determined amount of time.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=4887.msg199885#msg199885

Secondly, I had to remove the tile roof from my house for repairs and upgrades. We took the roof off over Memorial Day weekend. Well, we are to the point where I need to get the tiles re installed before the rains come. Now with Robert out of commission, I am down one to help get it done.

I'll be able to make the final after this weekend to see where I stand.

Stay tuned, Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

I'm SO done with 2020, I'm gonna put up a Christmas tree and call it a year. I wish I could come help with the roof, Randy. I definitely would. I've been on a crutch for two months following a routine arthroscopic surgery to clean up an old torn meniscus, that revealed gout. I managed to hobble out to the shop to meet Robert who was kind enough to meet me to grab the tires he ordered so I could get them mounted. Pretty gnarly finger he's got. I still have the weekend of the Rally off, so I'll wait and see what happens. Good luck on the roof.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

T Legg

Wow Randy . Re-roofing any house is a huge job but your roof is a monster. This has been a tough year for rallies. One by one people have had to drop out. I don't see Robert twisting a throttle anytime soon. I have been scrambling to get a bike ready.The slipping second and third gear of my transmission on my black fj has gotten so bad I have to fix it. I started by fixing my backup yellow fj by replacing the tires, speedometer burnt headlight connector and rear brake. I took. It for test ride and once again the  carb floats overflowed massively and the petcock failed to stop the flow. I will order more parts. Meanwhile I have engine for my black fj torn apart on the living room floor ready to split the cases. Thanks to Robert for putting together and sending all the parts to replace the transmission. I will have the bike ready in time for the rally if it still happens or I will ride my CB 750 k1.
T Legg

andyoutandabout

In England we say, 'if you want something done, ask a busy man.'
That roofing project looks pretty major to me. Just thinking about moving the weight in those tiles on a hot day has me reaching for the Gatorade.
Appears to be a quality job you're doing, so when the last tile is down, you probably won't ever have to touch one again in this lifetime.
Keep up the good work
Hydrate
hydrate
Hydrate
life without a bike is just life

fj1289

Maybe this becomes a "roofing" rally vice a "riding" rally ...

Mark Olson

Randy,  wow what a project! I am sorry to say I only know how to destroy tile roofs. I respect your pride in workmanship as there is no better feeling than a job well done.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Pat Conlon

Randy, your home has good bones. Look at the clear lumber on those rafters, that's 1st growth premium lumber used in the days when a 2 x 6 actually measured 2" x 6"
I like how you kept with the original 1 x 6 sheathing instead of taking the easy way out with OSB or plywood.
That 2 piece clay tile is a lot of work, are you going to set the ridge and hip tiles in mortar like the traditional Spanish tile roofs? Invest in top of the line flashing in the valleys and at the chimney.

See, the thing is with building a good roof, is when it's 3am and raining like a howling banshee, I'm sleeping in my bed with a smile on my face...

.....until a branch from my eucalyptus tree comes thru the living room ceiling, but that's another story.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

I have sent an email to everyone confirmed or possible this evening. I am pulling the plug on this years RPM Fall Rally.

Due to so many things out of my control. I just can't commit the time to properly host you guys. Plus, if I hosted and then got rain the next week and the roof wasn't done, that would be all bad.

Sorry guys.

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 26, 2020, 08:59:15 PM
Randy, your home has good bones. Look at the clear lumber on those rafters, that's 1st growth premium lumber used in the days when a 2 x 6 actually measured 2" x 6"
I like how you kept with the original 1 x 6 sheathing instead of taking the easy way out with OSB or plywood.
That 2 piece clay tile is a lot of work, are you going to set the ridge and hip tiles in mortar like the traditional Spanish tile roofs? Invest in top of the line flashing in the valleys and at the chimney.

Pat, I conferred with the building inspectors, a retired old school building inspector and a contractor buddy if mine. I was going to sheet, but since radiant barrier backed OSB only comes in 1/2", I would need to add a second sheet to get back to the strength of the 1x6.

The reason the roof leaked was the flashing at the hip wall and the valleys rusted out. I have invested in custom bent stainless steel valleys and flashing. I removed the hip wall so I won't have that water pooling there. I had to tear the chimney down to the course below the roof line and have it reset as the motor was just gone and the bricks were all loose.

I spent a lot of time with attic ventilation as there was basically none before. I added rafter vents to prevent the insulation from blocking airflow upward.  I left a gap in the sheeting at the bottom which will be covered with stainless steel wire mesh at the bottom acting as a eve vents. I added four gable fans at the peak vents. I used a heat barrier before I put the decking down.

I added a whole house fan as well.

I used 66 bags of blow in insulation and there is no place in the roof that the insulation is not 3' thick with it closer to 4' for the majority.

That doesn't take into the more than 1500' of wiring I replaced and/or added as well. Installed close to 20 new electrical outlets to the inside of the house through the lathe and plaster walls. I removed to overhead electrical to the garage by burying conduit to a new sub-panel in the garage. I have hubbed electrical for solar installation in the future as well. This will allow the panels to be connected to the box and ready to make power.

The final step is the installation of the roof tiles. I saved to original 1938 tiles. I have contacted probably 20 roofers and no one will touch it. The most common excuse was the tiles will be too brittle...how does a kiln fired & dried tile get anymore brittle than when the were fired...?

The short answer is, they don't.

So l, I have a my annual two week vacation I take for my wedding anniversary and the rally coming up next week. That means I'll be on the roof hanging tiles...

Oh well, I have no more fear of my house shorting out and burning to the ground, the roof will shed water for the next 100 years ore more now that the valleys and flashings will never rust out.

Hopefully my great great grand children will enjoy this house my great grand parents build back on 1938.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 24, 2020, 10:04:22 PM

#1 Robert was injured last weekend so he is sidelined for an I determined amount of time.
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=4887.msg199885#msg199885

Could've been worse Robert, I know guys who got their finger caught in one of these and lost way more than just tip of it.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

RPM - Robert

Yep. I started wearing a silicone wedding ring to help prevent those things from happening.

Losing the end was enough for me.

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on September 28, 2020, 04:39:16 AM

Could've been worse Robert, I know guys who got their finger caught in one of these and lost way more than just tip of it.

Noel
Quote from: RPM - Robert on September 28, 2020, 01:25:03 PM
Yep. I started wearing a silicone wedding ring to help prevent those things from happening.

And here I was thinking Noel meant when They got married  :crazy:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

RPM - Robert

Quote from: Sparky84 on September 28, 2020, 04:01:58 PM
Quote from: ribbert on September 28, 2020, 04:39:16 AM

Noel

Quote from: RPM - Robert on September 28, 2020, 01:25:03 PM

And here I was thinking Noel meant when They got married  :crazy:

Lol well that could be but I've been caught in that for some time now. :sarcastic: I was thinking more along the lines of slag falling on a metal ring and burning through, ring getting caught and causing a ring filet. Things of that nature.