News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Pulling the shift shaft seal

Started by JPaganel, August 15, 2019, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

I need to get that replaced soon. I'm pretty sure I can get by with my normal bag of tricks, but is there something specific that makes it easier? That seal is pretty tiny, not that easy to hook onto.

Who uses what?
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

ryanschoebel

I think when I replaced it, I just used a flathead screwdriver, and levered it out. Super simple!
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

ribbert

Quote from: ryanschoebel on August 16, 2019, 11:10:36 AM
I think when I replaced it, I just used a flathead screwdriver, and levered it out. Super simple!

That's exactly how the pro's do it. Yet another example of having the job done by the time you've even found the special tool.

This has been my seal remover for 50 years, sharpened to easily penetrate the steel outer, solid shaft so it's not springy.

There's a bit of knack to it but not much of one.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

I personally remove the shift shaft when I replace the shift shaft seal. Once the shaft is out of the way a screwdriver can be inserted and easily pop it out.

I remove the shaft for one single reason, the bur/edge on the shift shaft that is left by the e-clip that is holding it in the case. The edge left behind easily cuts the seal lip and you can still have a leak even after replacement. I have tried to use a file to knock down the edge, but in the bike and so close to the case, you cannot get it all.

If you do replace the seal with the shaft in, please use a significant amount of care. Attached are some photos of a shift shift I just replaced after the owner damaged the shaft by gouging the shafts seal surface.

Also you need to be very careful of the outer seal surface too. This is out of the same engine when he tried to replace the crank and transmission seals: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=18759.0

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

JPaganel

Got it replaced, it went pretty easy.

I screwed a drywall screw into the old seal and yanked it with visegrips, it came out no problem. I was careful where I put it, and did not go outside the rubber on either side. No scratches on shaft or block.

Drove it in with a tube made from a broken paint roller handle where bearing surface was a plastic ring of exactly correct size. New one popped right in place.

Couple of rides, no leaks so far.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle