News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Putting in new riser bars and right 8mm hex barend is seized

Started by mtc, July 17, 2019, 07:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOA NOM

Yeah, you'd have to disconnect the throttle cables and the brake master.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

T Legg

I see bar end sets for twenty bucks all over e-bay.or up grade to weighted ends from rpm.just get out the pipe wrench and do it.
T Legg

mtc

Quote from: T Legg on July 17, 2019, 09:54:14 PM
I see bar end sets for twenty bucks all over e-bay.or up grade to weighted ends from rpm.just get out the pipe wrench and do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Motorcycle-Anti-Vibration-Handle-for-Kawasaki-KTM-Bar-End-Plug-Grip-End-Caps/192168289614?fits=Model%3AFJ1100&hash=item2cbe1f654e:m:m44gwNSS2hOjh1fVEGWZHPA

so are these supported by a rubber hose and the weighted portion can bounce slightly to oscillate counter to the vibrations?, should i try them they are cheap,

RPM has a little counter weight inside i noticed and i think that jiggles counter to the vibrations, someone told me they help , but only a little
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

Pat Conlon

Weigh your FJ's oem bar ends...
If you get an aftermarket bar end, at least get one that has the same weight as your oem bar end..
There is a reason the engineers at Yamaha designed the bar ends the way they did..

Yes, the RPM Vibranators work to reduce the high frequency vibes and they are designed to include the oem FJ bar end.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ryanschoebel

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 17, 2019, 10:31:39 PM
Weigh your FJ's oem bar ends...
If you get an aftermarket bar end, at least get one that has the same weight as your oem bar end..
There is a reason the engineers at Yamaha designed the bar ends the way they did..

Yes, the RPM Vibranators work to reduce the high frequency vibes and they are designed to include the oem FJ bar end.

+1. Those are 60 grams, which is like 2.1 ounces. Ive weighed the bar ends before, and OEM is like 13 ounces.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

CutterBill

How to remove seized bar ends:
Unfortunately, that little internal hex isn't big enough to get any real torque on the bar end. All you will do is round-out the internal hex. Absolutely do not use an Easy-Out or similar device. As mentioned they are very brittle and will snap with any amount of torque applied to them.

So when I was faced with the same problem, I just used a large pipe wrench and broke it loose. Try to do it in "one-shot"; don't let the pipe wrench slip and chew up the bar end any more than is necessary. Then I chucked the bar ends into my lathe and smoothed off the wrench marks with a file. While I had it in the lathe, I drilled out the buggered internal hex to a convenient size that would get down to clean, non-rusty metal. With that done, I removed the bar-ends, welded up the hole I just made, reinstalled into the lathe and turned the welds smooth. So at this point the bar ends are smooth and have no internal hex at all...

Then I moved the bar ends to my vertical mill, and milled an external hex on the very end (of the bar end.) I don't remember right now what size it was; probably either a 17 or 19mm hex.  The surface of the hex wasn't very deep, about 1/4" or so. Then I painted the ends gloss black. When finished, it was barely noticeable and looked stock. I'll try to take a photo in a few days.

Make sure you clean all of the rust from the threads (inside and outside) and reinstall the bar ends with anti-seize on the threads.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

mtc

Quote from: CutterBill on July 17, 2019, 11:12:12 PM
How to remove seized bar ends:
Unfortunately, that little internal hex isn't big enough to get any real torque on the bar end. All you will do is round-out the internal hex. Absolutely do not use an Easy-Out or similar device. As mentioned they are very brittle and will snap with any amount of torque applied to them.

So when I was faced with the same problem, I just used a large pipe wrench and broke it loose. Try to do it in "one-shot"; don't let the pipe wrench slip and chew up the bar end any more than is necessary. Then I chucked the bar ends into my lathe and smoothed off the wrench marks with a file. While I had it in the lathe, I drilled out the buggered internal hex to a convenient size that would get down to clean, non-rusty metal. With that done, I removed the bar-ends, welded up the hole I just made, reinstalled into the lathe and turned the welds smooth. So at this point the bar ends are smooth and have no internal hex at all...

Then I moved the bar ends to my vertical mill, and milled an external hex on the very end (of the bar end.) I don't remember right now what size it was; probably either a 17 or 19mm hex.  The surface of the hex wasn't very deep, about 1/4" or so. Then I painted the ends gloss black. When finished, it was barely noticeable and looked stock. I'll try to take a photo in a few days.

Make sure you clean all of the rust from the threads (inside and outside) and reinstall the bar ends with anti-seize on the threads.
Bill

i can't even find my pipe wrench and you are talking about lathes and welding ha ha ha ha, those skills i do not have at all

i am going to harbor freight buy me a $6.99 wrench with a 20% off coupon, file the teeth marks, and grease the thread after i clean them and use the wrench every time to get them off or leave 'em on hand tight and maybe they will jiggle a little so the vibrations will lessen

and

hope they don't fall out and kill someone behind me...oops

when i had my xs1100 no vibrations whatsoever... and it must be my imagination but i think the XS have more low end grunt, but on paper the FJ rules, i miss my XS
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

ribbert

As has been said, using those spiral, fluted, tapered extractors is usually the last thing you do before taking it to someone else to now remove both the screw and the extractor. It has been my great misfortune, in this regard, to spend much of my working life as that guy. At least in this instance it is only a handle bar, not an engine block etc.

Those style easy outs should only be used to gain purchase where a bolt or screw head has sheared off when tightening or where a butchered head won't allow a spanner or screwdriver to grab, not when it has sheared off trying to loosen it because it is seized.

Anyway, to the job at hand. Heat and percussion are not suitable for this application, that leaves leverage and purchase.

Believe it or not, this technique was formally taught to us in trade school, leather. If the surface is clean (not oily or greasy) and the leather is dry and the right thickness and texture, it is amazing how much force you can apply without slipping and without damaging the finish.

This was on Doug's (The General) XS outfit, being the last one I did that wanted to be ornery.

A handle bar in situ is a bit springy for belting it with something "sharp" to work but if all else fails, remove it from the bike and put in a vice, then whack it!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

.....I should have added, if that doesn't work for you, go with Cutter Bills plan, pipe wrench directly onto the bar end and clean it up afterwards (or buy a new one). Under no circumstances drill it and use a screw extractor.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Motofun

Dump those reverse spiral screw extractors.  If you must use a screw extractor try the ones that are square in cross section that have 4 sharp flutes.  Drill the appropriate size hole, lightly tap in the extractor and CAREFULLY try torquing it out.  Not perfect but 3 times better than the spiral types.
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

CutterBill

Quote from: mtc on July 17, 2019, 11:21:02 PM
i can't even find my pipe wrench and you are talking about lathes and welding ha ha ha ha, those skills i do not have at all...
MTC... I understand that not everyone has a machine shop in their back yard.  You don't give your location (a pox on you who do not...) but if you send me your bar ends, I will modify them for you.
Bill

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Dieselman7.3

Maybe a dumb question but what exactly do the weights do?  Do you need them? My last Fj didn't have any (I bought it with bar end mirrors) I don't remember it having any vibrations so to speak
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

CutterBill

Dieselman... technically speaking, the bar end weights change the resonant frequency of the handlebars... 

To explain... the handlebars are like a tuning fork; if you excite them with the proper frequency, they will vibrate at that frequency. That is the resonant frequency of the bars. Let's just make up a number and say the resonant frequency of the handlebars is 2000Hz. That means when the engine hits some RPM that produces a vibration at 2000/second, the bars will vibrate like a tuning fork. We feel that as a "buzz."

Adding weights to the end of a vibrating bar drives that resonant frequency lower. So now instead of vibrating at 2000Hz, the bars might vibrate at 100Hz. And ideally, the engine doesn't produce a vibration that low, so the bars would not vibrate. It's all about smoothness.   :good2:

You say that your FJ doesn't have bar end weights and you don't feel any vibration. I suspect if you made back-to-back runs, with and without bar ends, you would notice a difference.
Bill

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

ZOA NOM

My bad regarding the easy-out. I was confused by the first pic posted by OP. I thought he was trying to remove the master. I switched my advice once I figured it out.  :Facepalm:

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Dieselman7.3

Quote from: CutterBill on July 18, 2019, 09:15:44 AM
Dieselman... technically speaking, the bar end weights change the resonant frequency of the handlebars... 

To explain... the handlebars are like a tuning fork; if you excite them with the proper frequency, they will vibrate at that frequency. That is the resonant frequency of the bars. Let's just make up a number and say the resonant frequency of the handlebars is 2000Hz. That means when the engine hits some RPM that produces a vibration at 2000/second, the bars will vibrate like a tuning fork. We feel that as a "buzz."

Adding weights to the end of a vibrating bar drives that resonant frequency lower. So now instead of vibrating at 2000Hz, the bars might vibrate at 100Hz. And ideally, the engine doesn't produce a vibration that low, so the bars would not vibrate. It's all about smoothness.   :good2:

You say that your FJ doesn't have bar end weights and you don't feel any vibration. I suspect if you made back-to-back runs, with and without bar ends, you would notice a difference.
Bill

No my old Fj I had had came with bar end mirrors... my new one has stock weights /mirrors  I don't remember thinking it vibrated but with your explanation I would assume I'd notice it on back to back runs. Thanks for the education... I knew that had something to do along those lines.. I don't want to risk having dearth wobble at all and I'm planning on going to a single piece handlebar (ie the superbike bar style) should I have weights for them?
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750