News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2019 West Coast Rally - Hayfork Bar 717 Ranch 5/30-6/2/2019

Started by Flynt, December 30, 2018, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How committed are you to attending 2019 WCR in Hayfork (given terms below)?

Committed to attend
12 (63.2%)
Likely to attend, willing to place deposit
6 (31.6%)
Unlikely to attend, unwilling to place deposit
1 (5.3%)
Will not attend
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 13, 2019, 10:00:27 AM

ZOA NOM

Glad to know you made it home OK, Monkey...

Here's some video from the run out Hiway 36 to the coast on Saturday... Just a taste... I'm behind Monkey and The Midget on the long downhill section early in the ride.

https://youtu.be/F8e-CSClDU4
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

1tinindian

Damn it, I miss seeing my friends. Looks like a good time was had by all!
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

ZOA NOM

A longer peek... this 46 min video is only a third of the loop we did. What an unbelievable day!

https://youtu.be/6cjEQ-RD1io
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

I was disappointed you FF past Hyampom Rd.  Was curious to see your techniques riding that ummmm, "interesting" stretch.
You guys rode Hwy 36 on the best day.  It was locked in fog thru all the valleys on Sunday.  I had to stop and dry off my visor several times.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Tuned forks on June 03, 2019, 09:58:43 PM
I was disappointed you FF past Hyampom Rd.  Was curious to see your techniques riding that ummmm, "interesting" stretch.
You guys rode Hwy 36 on the best day.  It was locked in fog thru all the valleys on Sunday.  I had to stop and dry off my visor several times.

Joe

I still have the video. I think I know the section you're referencing. I recall spending half the time on the left side of the yellow line to straighten the path.  I'll post up that section tomorrow. Workin a graveyard shift tonight. Sleep well, folks.

BTW Joe, get some gloves with a built in wiper on the thumb, and the pinlock shield if you don't have them yet..

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

aviationfred

Just rolled into Wichita. I dropped Kurt off in Salt Lake City last night.
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Tuned forks

Rick, if there's any confusion, I'm referring to the road leading to the Bar 717 Ranch.  About half of it was relatively fast as it went thru the valley and next to the creek.  The other half was as crooked as a dog's hind leg and littered with gravel.  After Mother Nature's show on Sat, the road had more rocks and branches too.  Oh joy!  :biggrin:

Welcome home Fred.  Thanks for for coming West.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

ZOA NOM

Joe, Here's the 20 - minute video of Hyampum Road to Hayfork.  Gimme a timestamp if you're interested in my analysis.  In general, I'm just cruising, not really riding "angry", so there isn't much technical to say.  One thing I would highly recommend, especially in these rally situations where you are riding an unfamiliar road, is to always stay in a lower gear than you might normally, and use rpm's and engine braking to your advantage.  This, combined with judicious trail braking (link to good explanation) should keep you from having those "moments" in a turn that decreases radius faster than you anticipated.

Hyampum Road to Hayfork video
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Tuned forks on June 04, 2019, 04:55:29 PM
Thanks Rick.  You just wake up?

Joe

Yup, one more graveyard tonight and a swingshift (12-22) Thursday and I'm done for the week.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

I watched the video.  You are nine minutes faster to town than I was.

I hate working nights.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Tuned forks on June 04, 2019, 05:21:59 PM
I watched the video.  You are nine minutes faster to town than I was.

I hate working nights.

Joe

I've worked nights since I went into the Navy in 1982.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ZOA NOM on June 04, 2019, 04:22:33 PM
Joe, Here's the 20 - minute video of Hyampum Road to Hayfork.  Gimme a timestamp if you're interested in my analysis.  In general, I'm just cruising, not really riding "angry", so there isn't much technical to say.  One thing I would highly recommend, especially in these rally situations where you are riding an unfamiliar road, is to always stay in a lower gear than you might normally, and use rpm's and engine braking to your advantage.  This, combined with judicious trail braking (link to good explanation) should keep you from having those "moments" in a turn that decreases radius faster than you anticipated.

Hyampum Road to Hayfork video

Great subject!  Below is a post when the topic came up some time ago....   Following andyoutandabout at this years WCR this method proved itself several times!!!

Re: Braking Into Turns

Some time ago there was a discussion about Braking upon approaching and entering a turn. 
As with other subjects, a variety of opinions were expressed; and as with other subjects, some of those opinions were inconsequential to the actual discussion.

Of those pertinent to the discussion, some stated that all Braking should take place PRIOR to commencing the turn itself.   
Perhaps in the theoretical world of oils, hard tires & such that would be acceptable, however in the real world of unknowns, such as entering a turn too fast or dreaded decreasing radius turns, the automobile that does not see the motorcyclist, the debris on the road surface encountered unexpectedly, the animal that appears seemingly from out of nowhere et al; such comments are as inconsequential as the various unsubstantiated assertions.

Encounter any of the above scenarios (and a myriad of others!) and the compromises such as those made with the tire upon which you do not plan to exceed its' capabilities are negated by circumstances unexpectedly forced upon you; there is no allowance for not expecting the unexpected.

As with counter steering practice, braking drills & judicious application of throttle when riding in the rain or sand strewn surfaces, etcetera – correct application of both front and rear brakes while entering turns under CONTROLLED circumstances is important.  When unexpectedly, that touch of additional measure of braking is needed, there is at least a chance that the motorcyclist remains in control.

To that extent, brake indicator lights were installed in several different locations.  The blue light is the front & the red light is for the rear. 

The first part of the video is of modest speeds, the next part is of more open sweepers & then along the rim of a canyon.  It closes with less modest speeds over an exceptionally rough road meandering through a forested area.
The original footage was lost to the ether during editing – this version is less incisive & concise however I trust it shows the principle involved.

Please note:  No suggestions are given nor any advice proffered and certainly no dogma involved, just noting an option.

Ride safe,

Midget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX0OKbLyxZw

Mike Ramos

Quote from: 1tinindian on June 03, 2019, 09:28:35 AM
Damn it, I miss seeing my friends. Looks like a good time was had by all!

Howdy Leon!

You were missed too!  Also not arriving were The OZ group from the Sacramento area & LA Mike....  hope all are all well.

Thanks to ZOA NOM for making the arrangements & his generosity as well.  Special mention to Frank B. for following through with the reservation arrangements - as always things went smoothly because of his efforts.

Timely rain made for some clean & fast road surfaces - Mr. Ort and I were rained on fairly well yet by next day the roads were dry...

Much thanks to all the long distance travelers: kind Donna & Derick, Kurt & Aviation Fred not to mention elegant Diane and the fellow she brought with her (!).  Out from Colorado came Firehawk with his refurbished FJ... Lovely Tina and San Dimas Mike brought along Monkey from southern California; the Reno clan & Jeff with a FJ towed by a Volkswagen (!) along with a large number "the usual suspects" from the greater Bay Area made for a great 2019 WCR.

The riding was all top shelf and then some!  Running with andyoutandabout made getting lost (if only temporarily lost) an almost magical experience - both FJ's running very well and traffic nonexistent made for a run although not as long, almost as satisfying as our Colorado run down though the canyon. 

The following day another great ride with Rick, Frank & Diane, Monkey Mark and San Dimas Mike out to the coast via the Hwy 36 & finding a nice lace for lunch.  Then returning on the Hwy 299 and down Hwy 3. 

Great conversations around the campfires each night and even a pair of drones flying around with marker lights illuminating them.  A most spectacular thunder & lightning on the final night made for a nice ending to the Rally. 

Everyone ride safe...

Mike

Flynt

Quote from: ZOA NOM on June 02, 2019, 11:53:20 PM
Glad to know you made it home OK, Monkey...

Here's some video from the run out Hiway 36 to the coast on Saturday... Just a taste... I'm behind Monkey and The Midget on the long downhill section early in the ride.

https://youtu.be/F8e-CSClDU4

That's my beloved Diane waving at the workers as we rode out of the Ranch...  (caption says Tina I believe?).  Tina was likely waving as well...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...