News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

GIVI bags and exhaust clearance

Started by aviationfred, September 18, 2018, 10:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I was asked by another member about aftermarket exhaust muffler clearance with GIVI saddle bags. I have photos of 2 bikes with different exhaust. A Vance & Hines SS2r and a SuperTrapp Stainless internal disc 4-1. The first set will be with the GIVI E36 bags and the second set will be with the E41 bags.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

racerrad8

I'll snap a photo or two of the RPM exhaust system and clearance to my givi hard bag.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Tuned forks

Wow, looks like the clearance it tight Fred.  This is mine with the new bags from Cutter Bill.  Randy, as your exhaust is a future mod, clearance would be an important consideration.

Oh and Fred, thank you for taking the time to snap those pics and post them.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

aviationfred

Joe,

The Vance & Hines exhaust is adjustable for the muffler position. With the springs disconnected, You can rotate the mid pipe and the muffler and get the muffler to be in a high or low position.

Here are a few photos that show the Vance & Hines SS2r in different positions on the same bike.

The third photo is with a set of Hepco & Becker bags.

The last photo is the Hepco & Becker bags with the RPM exhaust. I don't believe that you would have any issue with clearances using GIVI bags and the RPM exhaust.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Tuned forks

Thanks for the tip Fred.  Every since changing my oil, which required removing the exhaust, my muffler bracket bolt hit the swingarm.  I removed the midpipe springs and was able to rotate the pipe and therefore the muffler away from the swingarm.  The stuff you learn in unrelated threads...
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

racerrad8

Here is my FJ with the RPM exhaust and Givi bags.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

balky1

You need to stop scraping those side cases in the curbs, otherwise you'll start losing stuff.  :biggrin:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Tuned forks

So I received the brackets back from Champion Powdercoating today.  This evening I dove into trying to assemble the mounting brackets.  First a shout out to Cutter Bill from whom the whole shebang was purchased from.  If Bill hadn't reinstalled all bolts into their respective holes and had not supplied me with two pages of illustrated assembly instructions, I would have been lost.  Nice man to buy stuff from.  On to the assembly.  I had to guess at a few things, first was which side the tubular supports went on.  The pic shows how far I got this evening which is to say, not very far.  Tomorrow, me and the bike are hoping for greater progress.  If anyone sees that I am installing stuff improperly, please give a shout.  Thanks for everyone's input.

BTW, those are huge side bags Randy.  The rear pic looks like you are using a different mounting system than mine as well.  No clearance issues with that round RPM muffler either.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher