News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Oil Filter Adapter from RPM

Started by timleslie1957, October 13, 2017, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timleslie1957

Good day guys.  I just ordered the spin-on filter adapter from RPM.  I know it will serve me well.  So question is ... filter type possibilities.  The Purolator PL10193 referenced for use by RPM has an oversized filter from Purolator listed on oildata.com as an option.  Caught my eye due to displacement spec.  It displaces 40.32 cubic inches compared to 34.3 cubic inches displaced by the PL10193.  Its dimensions are the same with exception of height.  It is 3.75 inches in height.  The PL10193 is 3.19.  I am hoping this will fit.  I am intending to expose as much filter as possible to aid in cooling.  I plan to fit a heat synch on the filter (reusable).  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Will it work?  Randy?  Others?  You just gotta love the FJ!!!
Tim Leslie
"A bike and curvy roads ... priceless."

FJmonkey

If you don't have case savers/bars then look at the filter after it is installed. Then ask if the filter could get hit/scraped off during a low side. My first filter stuck out enough that I was concerned. Could mean the difference between your FJ giving you a ride home, or the other way around.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

Even with engine bars, if the filter is too long it will contact the ground. I used to use a longer Wix filter (51347 maybe) on my bikes. I had the same thought, more oil exposed to the air to aid in cooling with the bigger filter.

That all changed when my wife dropped her bike at a stop sign. The filter hit the ground and a rock poked a hole in the can.  I was unaware of the leak until she stopped again a couple of blocks later and her left foot slid out due to the oil on her boot.

Needless to say, the trip home to get the trailer seemed to take forever when she is standing on the side of the road...

Now, I run the Wix Spin-On Black Oil Filter that cannot contact the ground. The cooling is greater than the stock housing due to the fact air can circulate all around the filter. The canister housing is squared off against the slave cylinder and blocks any air flow around it.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fjbiker84

I just installed the RPM oil filter adapter on my 84.  Someone at the WCR gave me the WIX model 51334 as the best filter so that's what I bought.  After installing the adapter and filter it certainly looks right.

Old Rider

a little tip: I once was on a long trip into sweden with my 1100 .tired after riding several hours i dropped the bike over on right side when i stopped for a hamburger.
It resulted in a hole in the clutchcover as the brakepedal goes thru the cover and a big oil leak.What i did then was drove on my friends bike to a hardwarestore and buyed epoxy glue and some thinner and sandpaper.I managed to risne up around the hole and glued a swedish coin over the hole with the epoxy=). Amasingly this held fore about 2 mounts before i replaced the cover.So remember to bring some epoxy thinner and a swedish coin on the long trips.

dobols

Can the oil filter adapter also be fitted to the car? I care about connectors for connecting additional sensors.

RPM - Robert

These are what you want for a car. This will allow you to run a remote oil filter and add a larger cooler for the car directly into the main oil galley as well as add oil pressure and/or oil temp. Sensors.

Remote oil filter adapter engine side

Remote oil filter adapter filter side

RPM - Robert

The oil galleys look entirely too small. Also, 2 out of 5 star review. Go for it.

The previous post shows what you need, that is proven to work. What you do with that information is now up to you.

The ole, "Lead a horse to water but can't make it drink"

dobols

Jaka jest średnica zewnętrza adaptera?

racerrad8

The diameter is the same as the Yamaha oil filter housing.

We are doubtful that adapter you presented will work due to a wide range of reason. The engine center bolt boss is raised, the adapter will have to fit the engine and oil filter housing to ensure seal. You will have to ensure you incorporate the oil filter bypass found the the stock housing bolt.

On the other hand, you can purchase the oil galley fitting and install the sensors there.

http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Engine%3ARPMMGP

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj1289

Quote from: RPM - Robert on January 29, 2023, 11:16:44 PM
The oil galleys look entirely too small. Also, 2 out of 5 star review. Go for it.

The previous post shows what you need, that is proven to work. What you do with that information is now up to you.

The ole, "Lead a horse to water but can't make it drink"

Or said the Army way - "You can lead a horse to water, but you might not be willing to suck on his ass hard enough to make him internalize it!"

RPM - Robert