News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Confusing stand switch problem

Started by jseaman, July 24, 2017, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jseaman

I have a weird one!

The bike decided to stall when put into gear all of a sudden yesterday so I went for the obvious, side stand switch. I took the blue connector off, buzzed it through and it all checked out, put it together and tried again, everything was fine. Weird.

Today it has done it again, utterly repeatable - if I plug in the blue connector it won't run in gear. If I unplug it and short the two wires together it is perfect every time.

OK so a knackered switch you would think ... buzzes through perfectly and works exactly as it should. I measured the resistance at 0.02 Ohms when the switch is up and open circuit when down. Any thoughts??

aviationfred

Buzzes through? I am assuming you are doing a continuity check?

I have had experience with the sidestand switch showing similar issues to what you explain. I found that there was a short in the wires as they exit the switch. Hook up your multimeter and move the wires in different directions.... you may get an intermittent ring.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ct7088

My side stand switch is intermittent, when it doesn't make connection putting the side stand down then allowing the spring to raise the side stand has always caused the switch to operate. Probably needs cleaning and lubrication. I have a problem also with the neutral switch, occasionally(about once a month) the shifter needs  a little movement for the switch to make contact. A few times this spring the nuetral light would fliker in first gear the first time moving in the morning. Hasn't happened since March. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the cure.
Chris
85 FJ1100
Chris

jseaman

Sorry for the delay didn't see these replies -

Yes buzzes through/continuity, I'll give them a wriggle, thanks Fred

That's the weird thing Chris, it's not intermittent at all, it 'works' perfectly every time