News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

First day out this season with the FJ, left me high and dry......sort of.

Started by great white, May 03, 2017, 02:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

great white

First day out with the old FJ this year.

Nothing challenging, just in to work for the afternoon and back at the end of the day.

Ride in was fine, no issues.

Came out at the end of the day and hit the starter button: Nothing.

Say what? It was running fine when I shut it down and all it's done is sit for a few hours.

I pressed the horn button and a feeble little warble came out. I figured I had just the lesson I have to learn every year: when locking the bars, check the park lights to make sure you haven't turned the key too far.

So a couple buds try and give me a jump start. Nada. Press the horn, still feeble. Guess it's just gone even more feeble over the winter. We try a push start. Nothing, won't even pop.

Start poking around and fuses are good, kick stand switch is already bypassed, nothing else looks out of place or otherwise wrong.

So i call the wife to bring the truck to work so I can load up and cart it home.

While waiting I continue poking around. As teh wife pulls up, I hit the starter one last time and it fires right up.

:wacko3:

So I ride it home and the wife follows me just in case.

Figure I'll take an hour of two tonight and go over connections and whatnot cleaning and tightening. I did move the starter solenoid around, but no knocking or tapping.

I'll give it a few more days riding to see if it was something transient or if it will do it again....

red

Quote from: great white on May 03, 2017, 02:29:56 PMFirst day out with the old FJ this year. Came out at the end of the day and hit the starter button: Nothing.  Say what? It was running fine when I shut it down and all it's done is sit for a few hours. I pressed the horn button and a feeble little warble came out. I figured I had just the lesson I have to learn every year: when locking the bars, check the park lights to make sure you haven't turned the key too far. So a couple buds try and give me a jump start. Nada. Press the horn, still feeble. So i call the wife to bring the truck to work so I can load up and cart it home. While waiting I continue poking around. As teh wife pulls up, I hit the starter one last time and it fires right up.  So I ride it home and the wife follows me just in case.  Figure I'll take an hour of two tonight and go over connections and whatnot cleaning and tightening. I did move the starter solenoid around, but no knocking or tapping. I'll give it a few more days riding to see if it was something transient or if it will do it again....
Great White,

Dirty battery connections will do exactly that.  Each battery cable has two ends, and you need to clean both ends of each cable.  Also inspect each cable for damage or corrosion.  Beyond that, but less likely, check connections from the battery, ignition, starter, and starter switch.  Check the electrolyte levels in the battery.  Good hunting, there.
-
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

great white

Quote from: red on May 03, 2017, 04:26:31 PM

Shouldn't have affected push start, but I've seen weirder things......

Yes, low voltage = low spark...

Happy to know you found it and fixed it.  :good2: