News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Tank Bags!

Started by CutterBill, March 15, 2017, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CutterBill

I'm a huge fan of the SW-MOTECH tank bags sold by Twisted Throttle (twistedthrottle.com).  They are very well made and use a very clever adapter that fits over the gas cap mounting ring.  The adapter installs with no modifications to the bike, and they make a large number of tank bag models designed to fit specific bikes.  I have been using one on my V-Strom 650 for the last 2 years and I love it.  I simply pull a hidden cord under the bag and it pops right off.  When I'm done filling the gas tank, the bag just snaps back on.  Or... since I store my wallet, camera, phone, and other high-dollar items in the bag, I can just carry it inside the diner with me.  The problem is, Twisted Throttle doesn't show any adapters that will fit an FJ....

Knowing that Yamaha is quite a parts-bin company (they don't change anything) I suspected that one of the adapters for a new Yamaha would fit an FJ.  A little research and a little guessing, and I discovered that the Type 115 adapter is a perfect fit for the flush-cap FJ.  The whole part number is: TRT.00.640.11500/B but if you call and just ask for the 115 adapter, you will get the right one.  It mounts using 4 of the gas cap mounting screws; they even supply the longer screws.  And there is no interference with the gas cap.

They make 3 different tank bags that will work on an FJ: the Micro at 2.5 liters, the Daypack at 5 liters, and the Sport at 14 liters.  All 3 are expandable.  I have the Daypack and for reference, it will just barely hold 3 soda cans.  I use it for wallet, camera, phone, sunglasses, visor cleaning kit, house keys and a few other small bits.  For me, the Micro would be hopelessly small, and the Sport looks like it could double as a small suitcase.

I think the adapter was about $40 and the bag was $130.  Plus shipping.  A little pricey, I suppose, but top quality.  I'm really happy.  No magnets, no straps, no worries about scratching the paint... the bag just snaps on and away you go.
Bill

Edit: After posting this, I realized that it looks like the tank bag is sitting on the tank.  It's not. There is about 1/2-inch of clearance there, and the bag is VERY stiff.
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Country Joe

Bill,
Thanks for doing the research on which adaptor fits the FJ. I hate having a tank bag sitting on the paint.

Joe
1993 FJ 1200

Firehawk068

Quote from: Country Joe on March 15, 2017, 10:13:31 PM
Bill,
Thanks for doing the research on which adaptor fits the FJ. I hate having a tank bag sitting on the paint.

Joe

I echo this too.
Thank you Bill.
My tank-bag has slightly ruined the paint on the top of my tank as well.
I plan on getting something like this.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Dads_FJ

Excellent write up.  Givi also offers a similar solution if anyone is shopping.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14468.0

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

Sparky84

What is there to protect paintwork on the 1100's, cannot fit the adaptor,
I used to have a bit of lambswool under the tankbag but you still get a mild scuff on paint finish, not real good when riding in the rain for a week either.
I've heard of a film that you can stick to the tank then put bag on top of and after you have finished you can peel it back off?

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on March 18, 2017, 02:33:03 AM
What is there to protect paintwork on the 1100's, cannot fit the adaptor,
I used to have a bit of lambswool under the tankbag but you still get a mild scuff on paint finish, not real good when riding in the rain for a week either.
I've heard of a film that you can stick to the tank then put bag on top of and after you have finished you can peel it back off?

Cheers Alan

Alan, the film on the tank indent below comes pre cut for the FJ and is sold under the name "Tankslapper" but it's just a generic product from someone like 3M.

It's like thick cling wrap. I have had that film on and off at least 50 times (I only use it for trips). Just a mist of water from a spray bottle then squeegee it on (I don't worry about the bubbles anymore) then peel it off when you get home. No adhesive, it is a cling, static etc whatever you want to call it film, like the stickers on a new TV screen.

You can do thousands of km's of this....

....and when you peel it off the finish underneath is pristine. Just remember where you store it though, it's very hard to find by itself being a small piece of clear plastic.

Find a supplier and you could buy this stuff by the metre off a roll for next to nothing. I only bought it through "Tankslapper" to support them because they had gone to the trouble of cutting out sets for the FJ, tank sides, tank back, tank top, duck tail, side covers etc. I only ordered the tank sides but they sent me whole set as I was their first customer.

I do not like permanent protection other than the back of the tank where my jacket always rubs.

If you have trouble finding the product, let me know and I will hunt it out for you.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

I too have the tank slapped products. All precut for the FJ great stuff.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

ribbert

Quote from: CutterBill on March 15, 2017, 10:07:38 PM

I'm a huge fan of the SW-MOTECH tank bags sold by Twisted Throttle (twistedthrottle.com).

... since I store my wallet, camera, phone, and other high-dollar items in the bag, I can just carry it inside the diner with me.

I agree wholeheartedly Bill, I have the Givi versions ("Tanklock") and love them, a brilliant concept. I've had them since they first came out and have done many miles with them, knocked them off a few times dropping the bike and the fastening mechanism remains as good as the day I bought them. It takes less than a second to detach it for re fueling and the same to refit it.

I recently bought a third one to accommodate a bigger camera. I also like the semi hard shells.

Last weekend I was doing exactly as you described, at the rally, walking around with it like a hand bag with camera, wallet, keys, glasses, drugs etc, I hate stuff in my pockets.

IMIO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on March 18, 2017, 06:41:30 AM

Alan, the film on the tank indent below comes pre cut for the FJ and is sold under the name "Tankslapper" but it's just a generic product from someone like 3M

....and when you peel it off the finish underneath is pristine. Just remember where you store it though, it's very hard to find by itself being a small piece of clear plastic.

Thanks Noel

Where do you store it so it won't be contaminated underneath for next time?

I've never seen you bike that dirty, looks like there's a weekend getting it clean again!

I do like your high back chair in your workshop ( I'd put my head back and nod off, IMHO)

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on March 18, 2017, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: ribbert on March 18, 2017, 06:41:30 AM

Alan, the film on the tank indent below comes pre cut for the FJ and is sold under the name "Tankslapper" but it's just a generic product from someone like 3M

Where do you store it so it won't be contaminated underneath for next time?

Cheers Alan

Alan, it's not sticky so nothing sticks to it but I do give a rinse under a hot tap to clean it just prior to fitting. This has the added benefit of softening it and making it easier to conform to the shape of the tank, especially when it's cold.

I used to stick them to a mirror or window in garage, but that was more a case of being able to find them.

Noel