News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Getting my new to me '86 ready for the road.

Started by MarkDV, March 09, 2017, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkDV

Hi, My name is Mark from Nanaimo, BC, Canada. I bought an '86 FJ1200 last year and have been cleaning it up over the winter. I have an application in for collectors plates and still have a little more work to do to it. My previous bikes were a 2003 KLR650 bored to a 688 and a 2009 KLX250s. I've also ridden a 2011 V-strom 650 a bunch though the interior of BC. I'll upload a photo once I figure out how to do it.

FJmonkey

Welcome Mark, long live the '86, ambulance riders unite.... It is still Red and White yes?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

MarkDV

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 09, 2017, 11:27:20 PM
Welcome Mark, long live the '86, ambulance riders unite.... It is still Red and White yes?

Yes it is! I am so looking forward to spring and riding this wonderful bike. I have ridden it only one day last year, when I bought it and rode it home.

MarkDV

I figured out how to attach photos. The first photo is the bike currently. The second photo is the bike when I got her last year.

FJmonkey

Other than the Corbin seat the bike looks bone stock and in good condition from the photos. Now you need to make an FJ rally near you.

aviationfred

:hi: Welcome to the forum. Great looking FJ. It cleaned up very nicely.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

big r

Welcome, I am in Barriere and have a 86 as well. Be on the lookout for Derek Young he lives in Nanaimo also.Big R

fj1289

I'll say it again - it amazes me how often these very nice stock bikes keep turning up.  Awesome

Welcome!

Derek Young

Welcome Mark! That's a great looking stock 86 you have there. I'm a former 86 owner also and that is my favorite colour scheme (like it so much that i had to paint my 91 to match). As Ray said, I'm in Nanaimo also. If the weather ever turns around, and we get our bikes on the road, I'd like to get our FJs out for a ride... and maybe work on you about changing those stock wheels... and forks... and shock... and headlight...

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

andyoutandabout

Yes I heartily agree with Derek that the 86 is the best set of colors out there and he's a man of his word with that retro paint job on his 91. Looks like the paint on your find is factory fresh and thus would help balance a rally line up. Follow Derek and Donna to a gathering this year. Hurrah for red and whites.
life without a bike is just life

MarkDV

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 10, 2017, 02:38:42 AM
Other than the Corbin seat the bike looks bone stock and in good condition from the photos. Now you need to make an FJ rally near you.

It's stock other than the seat and windshield. The bike is really coming along nicely. I still need to do a couple of other little things and I'm waiting to see if my bike gets approved for collectors plates. I'm thinking some sort of FJ get together needs to be in the works.

MarkDV

Quote from: Derek Young on March 11, 2017, 10:36:38 AM
Welcome Mark! That's a great looking stock 86 you have there. I'm a former 86 owner also and that is my favorite colour scheme (like it so much that i had to paint my 91 to match). As Ray said, I'm in Nanaimo also. If the weather ever turns around, and we get our bikes on the road, I'd like to get our FJs out for a ride... and maybe work on you about changing those stock wheels... and forks... and shock... and headlight...

Derek

I would love to get together for a ride once our bikes are on the road. I have to say that the colour scheme definitely has been growing on me, I never minded it but I'm finding myself quite liking it. I almost feel like I need some matching leathers. :biggrin: I won't be able to change too much on mine though since I want it collector plated.

FJmonkey

Quote from: MarkDV on March 11, 2017, 10:01:42 PM
I almost feel like I need some matching leathers. :biggrin:

Plenty of room for another Red Power Ranger

AKA the Red Power Ranger