News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Clutch Replacement / Upgrade Time

Started by FJ1200W, February 14, 2017, 06:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: X-Ray on February 28, 2021, 04:27:38 AM
Thanks Noel. I have bled the system I thought properly when I put a new seal kit in the slave last year, but the fluid level is right, may still be a touch of air in the system. But definatley no slipping, might just do a full brake and clutch fluid change and recheck the results.  :good2:

Fair enough, as long as you covered the basic stuff first.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on February 28, 2021, 04:43:00 AM
   G'day Ray, I know this suggestion may not be appreciated by everyone (Noel) ...
   Regards, Pete. :good2:

Haha, I've been beaten into submission, my lips are sealed  :lol:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on February 28, 2021, 05:02:43 AM
   G'day Ray, I know this suggestion may not be appreciated by everyone (Noel) ...

Haha, I've been beaten into submission, my lips are sealed  :lol:

Noel
I don't believe that for a second. Hope to catch up soon for a beer and a chat mate.  :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

T Legg

G'day Ray, I know this suggestion may not be appreciated by everyone (Noel) but try tying your clutch lever back to the bar with a cable tie overnight.
Report back with your findings. Your might get a pleasant surprise. I know it has worked well for me on numerous occasions.

I've used that method many times except I let the bike idle for a few minutes (not long enough to overheat ) with the handle bars positioned to have the master cylinder at its highest point and let the vibration move the air up and out. I replaced my clutch fibers last month . I got suited up for a test ride and found my clutch lever was completely limp. I put it in neutral and let it idle for two minutes with the clutch lever held in and I was on my way with plenty of clutch lever pressure. I often hold my brake and clutch levers in while waiting at stop lights to keep them firm.
T Legg

racerrad8

Quote from: X-Ray on February 27, 2021, 07:06:12 PM
Sorry for adding to an older thread, but.... my '93 1200s clutch is not slipping, but I have noticed that the lever action is getting very "soft", clutch still disengages fine, but then the take up when releasing the lever is virtually straight away if you get what I am describing. This believe it or not is still the original clutch pack (up to 138000kms), and I'm thinking maybe the clutch spring plate may be getting a bit tired?

With our rally coming up in May, I might treat the '93 to a new RPM clutch pack with new spring. It certainly feels very different to the original clutch on the '94 which has only done 61000 kms.  :good2:

Ray, have a good look at the clutch lever and brass pivot bushing. The are notorious for excessive wear and result in your instant engagement from the grip.

See this post from Zwartie a while back: Worn out clutch...lever

Those parts are also in stock and can be include with the new RPM clutch pack.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

X-Ray

Awesome info, thanks all. Will be removing the lever and checking those components tomorrow.(Especially that brass pivot).
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

X-Ray

well ok, on my '93 I did forget I have aftermarket alloy levers on it which *may* have something to do with the feel of the clutch. Will put the std lever back on and see if there is any difference, might be as simple as that.  :unknown:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

gumby302ho

My clutch has been slipping for a while but here is my deal. I have the parts to fix it but if I can keep my throttle under restraint for 25 to 30 mins of riding while the J gets hot and then hammer on the throttle there is no slip so now I am just more patient which is hard if you have a need for speed or somebody in your way. I will fix it when it gets beyond this state. I have felt the Blackbird slip as well and just wait a while into my ride before its time to jump to light speed, hit it chewy!!

Millietant

Quote from: gumby302ho on May 20, 2021, 10:33:46 AM
My clutch has been slipping for a while but here is my deal. I have the parts to fix it but if I can keep my throttle under restraint for 25 to 30 mins of riding while the J gets hot and then hammer on the throttle there is no slip so now I am just more patient which is hard if you have a need for speed or somebody in your way. I will fix it when it gets beyond this state. I have felt the Blackbird slip as well and just wait a while into my ride before its time to jump to light speed, hit it chewy!!

I've never had a bike clutch slip on me in 45 years of riding (with many thousands of track miles). How do you get to wear them like that....presumably more of a drag race addict than me  :sarcastic:

(Although I really only use my clutch for pulling away, going between First and Second gears, both ways, or in heavy traffic - rest of the time, clutchless changes are the norm).
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

My GN400 slips badly when it is cold.  That must be a whopping 20 HP or so.  I didn't always slip, but started as it aged.  It is very hard to get up to 55mph until it warms up.  I've replaced the clutch from the low mileage parts bike, but it still slips.  Otherwise I've never had clutch slip problems either.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

FJ1200W

Quote from: Waiex191 on May 20, 2021, 01:48:43 PM
My GN400 slips badly when it is cold.  That must be a whopping 20 HP or so.  I didn't always slip, but started as it aged.  It is very hard to get up to 55mph until it warms up.  I've replaced the clutch from the low mileage parts bike, but it still slips.  Otherwise I've never had clutch slip problems either.

I've owned a couple of GN400's and found them to be a total blast!

Starting mine was truly a ritual. Cold, I can't remember, choke just right, throttle just right, piston in exactly the right spot, earth and moon in proper alignment, it would start 1st kick. Do anything out of sync, it became a nightmare to start.

Warm or hot, each jard their own routines.

The powerband was delightful, it reminded me of a old big block hot rod.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA