News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

R.I.P. Randy Thompson 10/23/16 (rktmanfj)

Started by FJscott, October 23, 2016, 04:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Ramos

Quote from: giantkiller on October 23, 2016, 08:33:50 PM
Going to miss you Randy. He was a great guy. Took the newbie under his wing so to speak. My first rally (east coast fall rally). Led me around some of the good back roads. And gave me a quart of rotella t-6 for My ride home.(cam cover gasket was leaking,) Sunday morning he snuck out of the restaurant and paid my bill.

Yep, Randy T did much the same for me at my first ECFR...

Randy, Carey, Henry and I rode the "Devil's Triangle" and that is when Randy "almost" jumped the rather wide and deep ditch as we wound through a rather mild turn - he landed on the opposite side on an expansive lawn bordered by apple trees unscathed.  However the landing was somewhat hard and he buckled the rear dog bones...!  Carey and I returned to Tellico Plains for a truck and trailer, returning to load Randy's FJ the we all returned to the campsite.

In appreciation for Randy's hospitality, I sent him a pair riding gloves that he was still wearing at the last WCR.

I went to last years ECFR to visit with him & he said that he would see everyone at this years WCR.

And amazingly he did...!

FJscott

Randy was a died in the wool motorcycle rider/ enthusiast. this year he made all 4 FJ rallys and I was able to ride with him at 2 of them. Understand that Randy was in extreme pain however, the joy he received from riding his FJ with his FJ Brothers was greater than the pain from cancer. He spent this last year, knowing it would be his last year riding with us instead of wasting his time in clinics or Hospice.  Even in the end Randy was thinking of others, he knew of a guy in my hometown that wanted to buy a bike in his own town and coordinated with me to get this guy his bike from Indianapolis to Vero Beach Florida. When at the end of the ECFR saying our goodbyes after transferring the bike from his trailer to mine, instead of a hearty handshake he came in and gave me a bearhug and that kind of caught me off guard, we said goodbye and we both knew that would be the last time we saw each other on this earth.

Randy was quick with a poke, a jab, a sarcastic sense of humor and an enormous heart of gold. Ill miss him.

God Speed Buddy

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

markmartin

Sorry to hear the sad news.  I never met Randy but always enjoyed and respected his advice and his contribution to the forum.  I was humbled by his courage and positivity in a time of such an imminent fate and I'm sure he will be greatly missed by all who were fortunate enough to have known him.

andyoutandabout

Randy went out on a rally high. Way to go.
Ride In Peace
life without a bike is just life

yamaha fj rider

I am sad to hear about Randy but, glad he is no longer suffering. The thing I will remember most about him, is him bringing up the recovery crew for Mike's bike. Randy was having a hard time with the elevation in Colorado but, still came to help a FJ brother. This was not easy for him and in his condition but, he still wanted to help.

I guess now the chair has been officially handed off to me.

God speed Randy.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

All,

Yesterday I attended our dear and very beloved friend Randys memorial service representing all of us in the group.

I was asked by Susan to be one of the speakers and was last to speak. The speakers were part of Randy's batting "Line up" as the Pastor put it. One "at the plate", another "on Deck" and the rest in the "Dug Out".

Susan (Randy told her she was his permanent Fiance) It would have been wife had it not been for the potential bills, Tom (his father), Elizabeth (his mother) and Kim (his sister) did an incredible job presenting his life with three displays, His "Sporting" love of the Royals and Raiders, His Masonic and Professional love, his Motorcycling life, and the Front table with his Portrait, early life photos and URN.

The speakers were almost all motorcyclists with great stories of Randy, a few were cousins and there was Randy with the Honda that FJ Scott spoke of. All did him justice.

As typical, the gathering had a lunch afterwards executed by his parents church.

The incredible man we all knew and loved was a direct result of his parents and sisters. He had a sister Cara who preceded him passing away at 18 in her sleep without a discernable cause. He also has an incredible son Daniel in California who he was recently reacquainting with. A bad ex-wife story with a happy ending.

Kim his sister was incredible, before she spoke a single word, her presence and smile displayed what Randy felt in his love for her and inspiration or admiration for her dealing with her own cancer. Her skin is so young and glowing, her energy so strong and his love for her explained. He told her and us all many times he wished he could take her place. After meeting her and knowing him, I believe God may have granted them that miracle. Her strength let her smile, speak with great feeling, emotion and clarity so unlike one who has battled for 8 years herself, and be happy for his peaceful passing and short suffering.

Randy had a Masonic Service the night before, I am glad to say the ~200 person room was beyond capacity for this alone.

As a community, FJ Owners, It should be said, Randy loved us all and will be missing us until we join him for eternity. He also knew clearly how much we all cared for him.

Dave Skipper
901-496-3545
david_l_skipper@yahoo.com

What haven't I owned, 201 different motorcycles in my life and never a Harley.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
(4) 1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer
(2) 1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

Pat Conlon

Thank you Dave! Well done.

Remember that 1am dinner at Denny's?

We were all exhausted from a full day of riding and then pulling Mike's FJ out of the canyon. We were disappointed about missing the Saturday evening Rally fire.

I remember Randy smiling and saying, "Hey guys, we did good. We are here together tired and sore, but we did good, that's what is important."

We sure enjoyed our time with Randy.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

I chose to separate my personal post from my reporting on his service. His service post was all about him. This is my expression and similar to my words at his service.

My service words:

Randy was my friend. We met 5 and a half years ago in the motorcycling group FJ Owners and the East Coast Fall Rally. Randy and I bonded having similar riding styles, thoughts on Second amendment rights and more. Recently during the 2016 fall rally on a day randy took off from riding he rode with my wife and I to my fathers home in Ellijay Ga. My father laughed and said he never thought he would meet someone who liked to talk as much as I did but here was Randy enjoying his time with us with a smile and appreciation for the fellowship. He liked Randy right off. After the Rally ended, Randy and I had been talking about him spending a week with me at my home in Mississippi visiting so he diverted west to Olive Branch Ms.. (side notes, FJScott and FJMonkey and I recall 2 others, he intended to take up your hospitality offers very soon, and to honor you all, I will be longer winded here).

During the visit he prompted me to expand my cooking skills to include fried oysters. He had great oysters in Bryson City and they were a diversion from the Biscuits and Gravy that went down well but were growing old. He loved the oysters and said they were as good as Brysons. He also loved my Venison meat loaf. Now those who saw his funny reaction face, think it now, he made that face when he tasted the Smoked Paprika Potato soup I made him, I accidentally picked up the Cajun pepper spices I got from a local mom and pop restraunt, before getting the paprika. It had a fire that rolled in and he loved it.

The last morning he spent with me, I walked into the bedroom to bring down his oxygen machine and asked him what he was thinking. His response, "Funny what you think of where your sitting alone, Do I want to die while I am awake or asleep?" In my "outside the box brain" I responded with, "I don't know how I would answer that, on one hand, if my passing state affected my realization of what followed, it would be AWAKE, but if not, escaping the fear of what was next might be nice." I then went on to say, "In our discussions of Masons and interviewing for new persons, does one believe in a higher power is a key question, and you believe and as a believer in god and eternity, I think cancer has given you one blessing albeit most would say this is wrong, but you and your soul can rest for eternity knowing you have let us know how much we mean to you and you to us. Your time here was a drop in the bucket in comparison to what is next." He smiled and agreed.

Our last phone call was fun, you see he had spent his week with me working riding right seat in my Auto Hauling 9 car Semi truck helping deliver cars. Out each day and home for dinner and movies, somehow his no longer padded backside was comfortable in that seat. He took only 2 pills all week in the truck and climbed my stairs each night while walking everywhere we went. Our last call was while I was working with my 16 year old stepson as right seat. He asked in the stepson was sexually active and I cringed, we all know he was not timid with his words. Well he asked me not to forget the lesson he learned in his diagnosis. Human Pamplona virus that caused his cancer has a vaccine and did Dawson have it? Well, in honoring his request I have undertaken printing decals of his riding the dragon with the upper left quarter containing the words "Randy Thompson : days before passing from HPV.... There is a vaccine and he hopes you will consider getting it." RPM Randy has agreed to forward these with parts sales and asking the recipients to find a place on their trailers for its display. Our friend Randy Thompson is not done yet helping his fellow men. The virus is easy to prevent infection and as such, changing the world is not to difficult for him. The picture of our friend is to bring persons close, see what the picture is of, and the words are his continuation of good deeds and Masonic principles.

I ended with "In this life Randy is my friend' leaving all to fill in what he was to each of them.

I passed out 24 copies of the decal, one for each parent telling how he was their son. Susan, his partner. A version went to Masons with their symbol in the upper right. Several with just "My Friend" and I have a version for us here with the FJ symbol being done in the upper right saying our friend. It would be an honor if you all would display them on your trailers or wherever appropriate. A version is attached as a photo.

My memories of Randy:

Upon his diagnosis, a discussion of Funerals, he thought his would be small. I said mine will be smaller. He said he will attend mine. I reciprocated the promise. I am holding him to his words....  

After diagnosis, He wanted to do the 2015 Central Rally. I wanted to share more time with this friend so I said I would go. That man was unstoppable, Fall 2015 ECR, Spring 2016 ECR, Spring 2015 WCR, Spring 2015 Central Rally and Dammit man, he made the Fall 2016 ECR. 5 consecutive in 12 months covering coast to coast. Unstoppable I say. We both made the Central Rally, The crew I met there, Leon and son I saw for the second time, your part of the best humanity has to offer. Randy was feeling the altitude, I as it turned out had a broken tooth infecting the upper and lower jaw infecting the sinus and ear. Randy was dying, but I wimped out on that Rally's first ride with him. 14 miles out with Marty and Randy and I had to turn back, I wanted to .....  Randy rode back and as he had all week, kept an eye on me. The last day of the rally, we rode toward Gunnison and the Black Rock Canyon. We got to the Reservoir and again, I stopped. He pulled up and we rested on the picnic tables. I was afraid it was our last rally together but said nothing, simply honored to be with him here. We spoke, are we half way or 1/4..., There is rain behind us and another 200 miles ahead. He said his heart says 1/4, but his body, halfway. We turned around and raced the rain, twisting roads and only a mist for a few miles our company. Another ride down safe. That evening others in their RIP messages recall Randy going out to Recover McMasters wreckage. It was not an FJ, but wreckage. Our friend Mike was going to be fine after scoring his field goal. Randy helped recover the bike and we returned safe at 1:30 am. Unstoppable I say. Thanks again to Pat for the meal after the recovery and all the others who helped.

Now for a great memory, In the 2016 ECR Fall rally, We shared a cabin with Rockoff and Cavin (Kevin actually),The man knew no limits.

I nearly forgot and had to MODIFY my post, Randy had a sense of humor, Thanks to Clavdy and T-Roy, when T-Roy saw Randy, he announced he had left a gift at the cabin. It was , Randy's words, "That Damned Drum". Well, I helped Randy come up with a solution to our dilemma. Housekeeping for the cabins was behind us fixing Dan's cabin, so I paid her a few bucks to let us in Deans Cabin which was closer. That drum fit through the cabin door by 1/4" and not a mm more. It then fit into the bathroom again, not a mm more, well we finished it off with placing the drum in Deans shower, 1/8" clearance, maybe a mm less. See photo.

An hour later Randy asks about the noise on our porch, Maintenance removed the drum and placed it on our porch, further claiming we broke the shower faucet handle. Now wait, Dean had not checked in and housekeeping was done, so who reported the broke handle? Housekeeping reported it before we put the drum in.... Well, we put the drum in their bedroom this time and left, no one the wiser. T-roy and Dean to the best of my knowledge will learn how this happened when they read this or one of us calls them to spill the beans. Yet another way, Randy is not done yet.

We rode a few days chasing Randy, eating diners and such, so fast forward to, We crossed the Dragon that last time, me leading, waving him past to uncork the RKT then chasing him, sliding the Porsche and hammering the throttle to find him undressed and relaxing when we got the the Dragons nest, rktmanfj is a moniker he lived. He had a clean run. The next leg was returning to Bryson across 28, his declared favorite road. Wife and I in the Porsche and he on the FJ. Well, I got the jump and passed a car while he was held up, I am now running away for 10 minutes while he was not. Well, I missed a right turn at the state park and entered the park. Meanwhile, RKTMANFJ was living up to his moniker. He thought I had turned the Porches wick up to blast off and Randy laid chase, he could not catch me, lol. I was not 20 seconds delayed by my error, out of sight of the intersection, and I correctly surmised, he would have passed us. Well, now I did blast off, chasing THE "RKTMANFJ", I think over 40 miles remained, the Porsche is drifting some corners and the throttle is hammered in the straights. You all know how this ends, Rockoff and Cavin heard it in person that evening. Randy beat us back by 5 minutes by his measure and was sitting comfortably on the Farmhouse (cabins name) drinking a beer when we got back. UNSTOPPABLE I SCREAM......

He spent the next week with me in Ms., We talked Life, Masonry, the next round of CHEMO (6th), accepting Death, friends, family, attending the 2017 WCR and his plans to visit other members in person soon. This group was one of his loves.

Randy Thompson was my friend.........

Love Dave

We met thanks to Bill Rockoff inviting me to the 2012 ECR. I was a new co-worker where Bill worked and a former FJ owner so Bill thought..... bring this heathen along, he will fit right in.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

DR.GTS.DUCATI.FAZER Dave

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 30, 2016, 01:45:02 PM
Thank you Dave! Well done.

Remember that 1am dinner at Denny's?

We were all exhausted from a full day of riding and then pulling Mike's FJ out of the canyon. We were disappointed about missing the Saturday evening Rally fire.

I remember Randy smiling and saying, "Hey guys, we did good. We are here together tired and sore, but we did good, that's what is important."

We sure enjoyed our time with Randy.

Pat, I do happily recall our meal and his comments. I will not forget our camaraderie in this life or the next.

Currently
(2) FJ1200
(2) XT500
(4) 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1970's Husquavarna WR250
1974 Ossa 250 Phantom
1976 Ossa 250 Phantom
1998 Kawasaki KX250
1995 Du

ddlewis

1tinindian

Thanks Dave for sharing this, and thanks for your kind words regarding me and my son,Cory.
I will miss Randy in more ways than one.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on October 30, 2016, 09:07:37 AM
I guess now the chair has been officially handed off to me.

Fred asked me to explain this.

As I understand it, the story goes. Pat, has only not ridden to one rally. This was a East Coast Rally, spring or fall, I don't know. I believe it was 2009. When Pat left the rally, he forgot his chair, Randy kept Pat's chair. Spring of 2016, Randy comes to the West Coast Rally and what does he bring, Pat's chair. A good laugh was had by all. He had kept Pat's chair for the last seven years. It looks like it had not been used. The chair was used by Pat at WCR, talked and laughed about during the rally. At the end of the rally, there sits Pat's chair. Pat having ridden to the rally was unable to take the chair, this may have been a good thing. The way his bike was loaded the only things that were missing was a chair and Granny. His next stop was the Colorado rally in a few days. Pat asked me if I had room in the back of my truck as we also were going to Colorado. At the end of the of the Colorado rally, after Pat and many had left, saying my final goodbyes, what do I see sitting there all by it's self? Pat's chair. I could not just leave it sitting there, so I put it in the back of my truck and brought it to my home. I think that Pat's chair is going to take on a life of it's own. Attending future rallies, maybe moving to another state after some time in Utah. Anyone that has some more details about Pat's chair please add them. I hope you enjoyed this. Thanks again Randy.

Kurt   
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Steve_in_Florida

We should come up with a token sticker for each rally, so it'll look like one of those steamer trunks from ages past.

Randy was instrumental in my purchase of a 1990 FJ from his friend Paul Dodge in Indiana. He picked me up from the airport, I took him to lunch, and he delivered me to the seller's house. What a guy!

He was very much one of the hearts of this forum.   :hi:

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

1tinindian

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on November 01, 2016, 08:36:34 AM
He was very much one of the hearts of this forum.   :hi:

Steve

No better words could be said!
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200