News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Shinko Tourmaster tyre- Praise

Started by mr blackstock, September 08, 2016, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

After the brief discussion concerning tyre choices a few months back, and after I put my 5 cents into the debate praising the Bridgestone BT45's, I considered that I should perhaps try another brand, just to see if an alternative to the "tried and tested" route I had followed could be improved.

I did a little research and Shinko Tourmaster seemed to offer riders a good degree of grip and longevity of tread.  So i sourced a pair from a local Ebay supplier for $250 including freight: for example- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shinko-Tourmaster-230-Pair-130-90-16-170-80-15-Motorcycle-Tyre-SUZUKI-C50-/152230813420?hash=item2371a9deec:g:KrQAAMXQwKdRfHOv

During yesterday's ride of around 600 kms I reckon I put both tyres through a good work out, I scrubbed the BT45 front almost to the edge, and actually felt her give way a little.  The Shinko rear did miss a beat, nor did I get "skipping" that I occasionally got from the BT45 in certain corners.  So suffice to say, I will be installing the Shinko front shortly, and see how many kms I get from each.

I realise many people will swear black and blue in support of the more expensive brands, but often we overlook brands developed in Asia.  After all they have been making tyres for almost a century and almost everyone rides bikes there, and in monsoon rains and over some crappy roads... might be worth a look..

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

turbocamino

I just tried a pair of Shinko's  "Verge" model.  They where very good.
89 FJ1200 saphire.blu owned 8-9 years.  By far the most satisfying of them all. Constant tinkering got me the best bike you could ever want.

aviationfred

I have a set of the Shinko Tourmaster tires for my Vmax. Once I get the Vmax project ramped up into full gear, I will see how they work.

I have considered trying the Shinko Verge II tires on the FJ.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Urban_Legend

Is it Shinko that bought out Yokohama. If so, then they would have some street cred. Might looks at some if my "new" FJ ever turns up. It missed the last load with the bike transporter.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

bikemad

Yep Shinko bought out Yokohama, I understand they are the largest motorcycle tyre mfg in the World. :good2:
FJ1100
FJ1200 3cv

rktmanfj

I'm on at least my 4th set of Shinko Ravens.

I love them, and the bonus is they're about $175/set at my doorstep :)
Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

mr blackstock

Well,

The Shinko rear has become quite bald after 10,000kms.  I think that is pretty good mileage considering I normally get around 12,000kms from the Bridgestone BT45 rear.  With the Shinko I did notice that in a straight line the bike tended to manage uneven surfaces poorly compared to the BT45, similar to tar snakes.  However, I found that when going through some twisties the bike felt more "planted" on the road, seemingly confident whereas sometimes the BT45 would feel "vague" and overly susceptible to minor bumps, skipping almost when pushed.

In all other circumstances the Shinko felt pretty good, but as I do mostly straight road riding, the tendency to gently weave whenever the road became uneven was an annoyance.  And the centre groove wore quickly as it was not very deep.  Good tyre for twisties, not so much straight line or around tram tracks I reckon.

I am going to try the Bridgestone G702 Exedra next.

cheers, Gareth

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

aviationfred

I just put a set of Shinko 016 Verge 2x tires on. This is a new design by Shinko, not a carry over Yokahama design. I know that the Raven has a good following for use on the FJ. The Verge 2x is a true dual compound tire and I will definitely monitor mileage and durability.
At $206.00USD a set, they are at a good price. I will see how they compare to the Continental Conti-Motions at $170.00USD that I have been using for a few years.
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

mr blackstock

G'day,

I just did a local search in Australia for the Verge tyres, and a pair is being sold locally from an importer for $420.  For me that puts them in the top range of tyre price, I would be interested in the longevity...

Where did you find a set for $206USD?  It might be cheaper for Aussies to buy direct from the US.

cheers, Gareth

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

FJ1200W

I'm looking at options for tires, and this came up.

Truly made me feel old, as I remember when Cheng Shin was the only "cheap" brand.

I'm leaning towards Avon Storm 3D's - I really liked the Avon Spirit but I'd like a little longer life.

Same for my tyres.

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Bit the bullet and ordered up a set of the Avon's
Can't ever remember hearing much bad about them.
How did those Shinko's work out?
I almost went with the 011 Verge tires.....
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

mopic_camera_guy

I have been running the Shinko 011 Verge tires on my 1989 with great success!

I like the radial handling and the are rather good in the rain.

I was worried about treadlife but for me at least, they have been very good.

I chew through a set about every 14 months.  I ride a hard 15K-20K miles/year.

Partzilla has them at a good price with free shipping.

Your mileage may vary...
Jerry

The entire plan hinged on the natural curiosity of potatoes.

1989 FJ1200 that I somehow managed to own twice...  Fast approaching 73K miles.