Fuel Starvation and Electronic Fuel Switch Question

Started by scottstx, August 16, 2016, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottstx

Hello,  I have a 1987 FJ1200. This is my second FJ and I really like these bikes! Bought this one a few months ago. Ran great for two one hundred mile trips. With the exception of putting a new starter and replacing some leaky valve grommet that is. After I reassembled the bike from the starter replacement I drove another hundred miles and felt all was good'. Decided to take a ride around lake Michigan and about 60 miles into the trip the bike died. Lifted up tank and saw filter was empty(I have since done away with filter) After sitting for awhile it would start back up and run anywhere from 10 miles to a hundred miles before starving for fuel. I'm ready to purchase a new fuel petcock but want to make sure its bad or if there are other areas to explore. I did disconnect the two prong wire connector and tried to see if there was any voltage to the petcock. Negative on that. I tried with the key on and switching from reserve to regular on the switch read 00.0 all the time. Any suggestions and thanks for reading so far!

big r

Sounds like you need to do a flapectomy. Check the files section for this procedure. Also do get a whooshing of air when you open the fuel cap? Check the tank vent as well. Big R

FJmonkey

Quote from: scottstx on August 16, 2016, 06:02:39 PM
Hello,  I have a 1987 FJ1200. This is my second FJ and I really like these bikes! Bought this one a few months ago. Ran great for two one hundred mile trips. With the exception of putting a new starter and replacing some leaky valve grommet that is. After I reassembled the bike from the starter replacement I drove another hundred miles and felt all was good'. Decided to take a ride around lake Michigan and about 60 miles into the trip the bike died. Lifted up tank and saw filter was empty(I have since done away with filter) After sitting for awhile it would start back up and run anywhere from 10 miles to a hundred miles before starving for fuel. I'm ready to purchase a new fuel petcock but want to make sure its bad or if there are other areas to explore. I did disconnect the two prong wire connector and tried to see if there was any voltage to the petcock. Negative on that. I tried with the key on and switching from reserve to regular on the switch read 00.0 all the time. Any suggestions and thanks for reading so far!
Scott, having owned a gravity feed '86 for many years with similar issues I hope to get you back on the road for more than 10 miles at a time. First, a fuel filter is not stock and it will likely add a restriction to fuel flow that may not be noticed till the tank is low. Second, the fuel line routing is critical and not intuitive. The line to the petcock goes under the loop (around carb #3) before it it connects to the petcock. Not routing properly can can pinch the line and restrict flow. Lets get these two most common issues sorted before going after the other less common issues. It can be fixed, welcome to the best place you can find for you and your FJ.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Just what Mark said ^^^ with a slight clarification.

The single line to the petcock should run *under both branch lines*  (not just under the #3/4 branch)
If you run the petcock single fuel line over the #1/2 branch lines, you will pinch the line.
So run the single fuel line under both the #1/2 and #3/4 branch lines.

Reason: When the tank is lowered into position, the angle of the fuel output port on the petcock puts the fuel line slightly lower than the branch lines. The oem thin flexable fuel line gets soft as the bike heats up and can easily pinch, starving the carbs of fuel.

Cheers. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

big r

Thanks gentlemen. I am still a bit of a rookie at fixing things. That said, there is a wealth of knowledge here and I am still learning even after 5 years of owning a FJ. Big R

FJ_Hooligan

DavidR.

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on August 17, 2016, 11:55:17 AM
And don't forget to safety wire the petcock!
Spot on Hooligan!!! I just got off the phone with Scott. One detail he mentioned was the fitting on his petcock could come out...  :shok: He said his FJ has only 7K miles on it. Way too young to die in a ball of flame.

Safety wire your petcock!!

JOMPPA10

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 16, 2016, 06:40:24 PM
Quote from: scottstx on August 16, 2016, 06:02:39 PM
Hello,  I have a 1987 FJ1200. This is my second FJ and I really like these bikes! Bought this one a few months ago. Ran great for two one hundred mile trips. With the exception of putting a new starter and replacing some leaky valve grommet that is. After I reassembled the bike from the starter replacement I drove another hundred miles and felt all was good'. Decided to take a ride around lake Michigan and about 60 miles into the trip the bike died. Lifted up tank and saw filter was empty(I have since done away with filter) After sitting for awhile it would start back up and run anywhere from 10 miles to a hundred miles before starving for fuel. I'm ready to purchase a new fuel petcock but want to make sure its bad or if there are other areas to explore. I did disconnect the two prong wire connector and tried to see if there was any voltage to the petcock. Negative on that. I tried with the key on and switching from reserve to regular on the switch read 00.0 all the time. Any suggestions and thanks for reading so far!
Scott, having owned a gravity feed '86 for many years with similar issues I hope to get you back on the road for more than 10 miles at a time. First, a fuel filter is not stock and it will likely add a restriction to fuel flow that may not be noticed till the tank is low. Second, the fuel line routing is critical and not intuitive. The line to the petcock goes under the loop (around carb #3) before it it connects to the petcock. Not routing properly can can pinch the line and restrict flow. Lets get these two most common issues sorted before going after the other less common issues. It can be fixed, welcome to the best place you can find for you and your FJ.

hi monkey was i right that gravity feeders dont have fuelfilter under tank?, as ihave my 90 3cv ? with fuelpump.

FJmonkey

Quote from: JOMPPA10 on August 19, 2016, 02:58:13 PM
Hi monkey was i right that gravity feeders don't have a fuel filter under tank?, as I have my 90 3cv ? with fuel pump.
Yes, the fuel filter under the tank came with the fuel pump. The filter on the petcock in the tank was the only filter on '84 to '87 years.

scottstx

Update. Bike running good again. I didn't have the fuel line routed properly. Thanks FJ Monkey for taking the time to walk me through it! Very cool. On another note I am selling my bike. The opportunity has come up for me to take an extended cruise on my sailboat and I don't want the bike to sit in storage for a year or more. There is a few minor dents and dings from previous owner but nothing bad. Just updated bike with new Mitsubishi 4 brush starter, spin on oil filter, new clutch slave, new choke cable, spark plugs, battery, carb rebuild, valve grommets, etc. Newer tires and runs great. Only 7000 miles. I'm offering it for a no haggle price of $2000. Would like to see it go to a good home. Please call if interested. Thanks! Scott. 414-254-4521

Pat Conlon

Scott, snap some pictures and post down in the "Bikes for Sale" section

You will get better exposure. Also mention where you are located.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Scott, we have a Bikes for Sale section, remember to include your location. pictures also really help potential buyers. Happy sailing.

Pat beat me to it by 2 min....