News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1350 electrical problems, revisited

Started by giantkiller, July 25, 2016, 10:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

My 1350 stranded me on the way to work last summer. On the highway cruising along at about 75mph. It cuts out a couple of times and totally dies. I put it in neutral and it starts right up. Put it in gear It dies.( So kickstand switch). Or so I thought. Jumped the kickstand switch. Put it in gear kills it. Swapped out every single component in the electrical system. With the components from the 87 parts bike.(865 miles on it. Before it was crashed) Still the same thing. I jumped the clutch switch. Still the same thing. But I ground the blue wire from the clutch direct. Everything works. What is the difference between a direct ground. And jumping the 2 wires for the clutch switch. Would just grounding the clutch switch hurt anything. In the long run. I just don't understand.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJmonkey

I don't think so. I am currently with out a clutch switch ('89) and that requires the neutral switch to start the engine. I hope to have a switch on order soon to put it back to normal.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

I will try too explain the circuit.

Starting at the clutch switch.

The Black/Yellow wire goes to the Diode and the Main Relay. The Blue/Yellow wire goes to the same Diode, the Sidestand Relay AND the Sidestand Switch.

The Diode does not have a chassis ground going to it. I am going to say the Diode is not the issue.

The Blue/Yellow wire that you ground allows everything to work properly, indicates to me that the problem lies with a ground problem.

The Sidestand Relay has a ground wire going to it. Also the Sidestand switch has a ground wire going to it. I am going to say.....the problem lies with one of 3 components 1: Clutch switch, 2: Sidestand Relay, 3: Sidestand Switch. Or.....you have a ground wire from either the Sidestand Switch or the Sidestand Relay that has been cut or not connected properly.

I hope this helps. If this is clear as mud, I apologize. I am an electrician by trade and I can see the circuit clear as a bell.
According to Partzilla, all of the parts, (Clutch switch, Sidestand switch, Sidestand Relay and the Diode) are available from Yamaha

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

giantkiller

Thanks I have 4 of the diodes And have tried them all. And switched relays. Changed everything. Except the side stand switch. But I  jumped the wires together. Still dies when you put it into gear. Have nothing if I pull the jumper. won't even light up the dash.

Jumped the wires on the clutch switch. Still dies. When you put it in gear kickstand up.. But when I ground the blue and yellow wire from the clutch switch. to a direct ground. Everything works as it should.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

aviationfred

This is what I would do.

If your '89 is having no issues concerning the safety circuit. The Clutch Switch and the Sidestand Switch are the same part number as the 1350's.

I would start with the Sidestand switch. Install the switch from the '89 and connect it like you are ready to ride. If it works, problem solved. If it does not. Leave the '89 Sidestand switch in place and install the '89 Clutch Switch, connect the wires and see if it works.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

Firehawk068

Trace the wires from the sidestand switch. Follow them the whole way. Sounds like one of these wires may have rubbed/broken somewhere. Make sure any connectors are in good order.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

JOMPPA10

Quote from: aviationfred on July 25, 2016, 11:35:22 PM
I will try too explain the circuit.

Starting at the clutch switch.

The Black/Yellow wire goes to the Diode and the Main Relay. The Blue/Yellow wire goes to the same Diode, the Sidestand Relay AND the Sidestand Switch.

The Diode does not have a chassis ground going to it. I am going to say the Diode is not the issue.

The Blue/Yellow wire that you ground allows everything to work properly, indicates to me that the problem lies with a ground problem.

The Sidestand Relay has a ground wire going to it. Also the Sidestand switch has a ground wire going to it. I am going to say.....the problem lies with one of 3 components 1: Clutch switch, 2: Sidestand Relay, 3: Sidestand Switch. Or.....you have a ground wire from either the Sidestand Switch or the Sidestand Relay that has been cut or not connected properly.

I hope this helps. If this is clear as mud, I apologize. I am an electrician by trade and I can see the circuit clear as a bell.
According to Partzilla, all of the parts, (Clutch switch, Sidestand switch, Sidestand Relay and the Diode) are available from Yamaha

Fred

Allso oil level switch do problems to start

giantkiller

Well it is a ground issue. Could not figure out where the problem is. But grounding the wire from the side stand safety switch to the frame. Everything works as it should..still don't quite understand why.  But it works.  :dash2:
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

FJmonkey

Quote from: giantkiller on August 06, 2016, 11:53:46 AM
Well it is a ground issue. Could not figure out where the problem is. But grounding the wire from the side stand safety switch to the frame. Everything works as it should..still don't quite understand why.  But it works.  :dash2:
Time to party Kookaloo style....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Dan, when you "jumped" the sidestand switch wires, did you do so at the connector plug under your left side panel?

The switch is normally closed. When the sidestand is extended and the switch plunger is depressed, the circuit opens interrupting power to the igniter box.
By grounding the wire, you have just closed the circuit (same as jumping)

If the switch checks out with a continuity test, then the problem is the wire between the switch and igniter box. It's open somewhere along the path.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

giantkiller

It is a ground wire to the plug on the side stand switch. Directly to ground on the frame. Side stand switch works kills engine when down. Everything now works as it should clutch switch, neutral light. Somewhere in wiring for the safety circuit it's not getting to ground.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Just jumping it didn't work. I don't know where the brake In ground is. But everything works now. Is there anything to worry about just going to ground on the frame?
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

aviationfred

Quote from: giantkiller on August 06, 2016, 02:59:04 PM
Just jumping it didn't work. I don't know where the brake In ground is. But everything works now. Is there anything to worry about just going to ground on the frame?

Grounding to the frame should not cause a problem. I know you probably have plenty of spare parts, Randy does have new side stand switches.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

giantkiller

That's what had me stumped I replaced all removable parts from the system.with spares. And always did the same thing. Put it in gear dies. I didn't swap out the wiring harness it's self but every thing else. I could have done the whole thing. But that would be such a pain. I guess If the ground to the frame doesn't continue to work. That's what I'll have to do.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

ribbert

Dan, have you considered what role the neutral switch might play in this? When you put it in gear, that's the only electrical thing that's changing.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"