News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Won't pull over 6G

Started by N Z FJ1200, June 05, 2016, 08:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Z FJ1200

Ok here goes I purchased and jap domestic 93 FJ1200
These things are all restricted to hell so I started to derestrict it first up I got new carb kits from randy and fitted them up and set them up. Second I purchased some new manifolds the mappers only come with 28mm throats so I got the 32mm ones at this stage I put them together and balanced the carbs with my new Morgan carbtune kit
I then replaced the jap 180km/per hour speedo with 260km/perhour one I also replaced the igniter with one from the Australian market
Now have the bike all together and in neutral the bike will rev out past the red line with ease when I am riding it I struggle to get to 6 grand
FYI  I live in a climate which ranges from -10 deg Celsius to +35 deg Celsius  also I ride from sea level to aprox 750metres
I am at my wits end with this so any help would be most great-fully appreciated :dash1:
1993 fj1200
If you ain't riding you ain't living

red

Quote from: N Z FJ1200 on June 05, 2016, 08:32:37 PM
Ok here goes I purchased and jap domestic 93 FJ1200 Now have the bike all together and in neutral the bike will rev out past the red line with ease when I am riding it I struggle to get to 6 grand
NZ,

Is the airbox still from the "restricted" engine design?  What about the exhaust system?  Can you try it (briefly) on a test run with no mufflers?
You might want to count the teeth on the front and rear sprockets, if the problem shows up only in higher gears. 
How many RPM can you get in 1st gear?

Best,
Red

Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

N Z FJ1200

Airbox all good std FJ with k&n filter mufflers been derestricted
I have a feeling this is electrical as jap speedo had a speed limiter built in I just unplugged it when I swapped out speedos
1993 fj1200

N Z FJ1200

Won't pull over 6g in any gear but netural
1993 fj1200

Harvy

The limiter is on the odometer, not the tacho, so I doubt its that.
I had a similar issue with my '91 a good few years back now and it turned out to be the igniter box - however, you have replaced that also.
In my case a switch to a Dyna 2000 system cured my bikes lack of revs.
I wounder if you can swap back to your original igniter box - maybe the replacement is crook.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

N Z FJ1200

The original igniter has a built in rev limiter built in for if you try and ditch the speed limiter
1993 fj1200

N Z FJ1200

Oh yeah by the way on my old speedo there was a circuit board hanging off the side with 2 wires going to it I wonder if these wires link into something to hold the revs back when the speed limiter has been disconnected   Any ideas?
1993 fj1200

Harvy

The original may have a built in rev limiter, but it would be set to quite a bit higher than 6K - mine did also (same Jap import pink striper as yours)...... give it a try to at least eliminate the new one as the problem.
I also changed inlet manifolds to 32mm units - not the cause.
That unit on the side of the speedo cuts the ignition when the speedo needle reaches 180..... it would not be the cause either as far as I know.
Harvy

N Z FJ1200

Will pull fairing off tomorrow night and change out CDI  will let you all know
1993 fj1200

N Z FJ1200

No change swapping out igniters I think this has to do with the 4 wires comming off the circuit board that was attached to the old speedometer
1993 fj1200

Harvy

Unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment so i can't look at the wiring diag.
I recall mention of those 2 wires from back in the old Yahoo group days - something about cutting the black ground wire to disable the ignition cut out - but don't quote me on that.

I no longer run stock speedo or igniter so I'm afraid I can't point  you to any other possibilities...... however, you are probably right in thinking its that little circuit board. I will be home some time after 25th of this month so if you don't have any luck by then I can take a look at the diag and maybe see where those wires run to (if they are even on the non-Jap diags).

Cheers and best of luck with it
Harvy

N Z FJ1200

Cheers mate but can tell you now those wires not on non jap diagrams and having serious trouble finding jap diagrams
1993 fj1200

N Z FJ1200

Ok so unwrapped front wiring loom traced speed limiter wires and eradicated them put bike back together and went for quick ride .  Verdict no damn difference so time to go find another non jdm wiring loom and put it in 
This is proving to be a real head banger as current wiring loom way different to both US and UK wiring diagrams seams like more wires different colours so new loom here we come
1993 fj1200

a.graham52

I don't understand how the speed limiters operate and what sensors or functions it uses to operate. But when your at cruising speed, would pulling the clutch in and revving it get you over 6k rpms? Mayne you have fuel starvation while under load? Are you running a fuel filter? Are your fuel lines routed to spec?