News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

front brake light sender/switch

Started by bigbore2, April 24, 2016, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie-brm

No problem. It's good to share knowledge. Like next time I have a voltage drop, I'll try your method of dropping the part on the floor and see if that helps. Why didn't I see the connection before now.  :good2:

I still would have taken it apart while I had it out but maybe that's just me. I love getting into the guts of things electric, going on 50 years with a soldering iron. The corrosion is not from humid air, it's the microscopic breakdown that goes on anytime surfaces are passing electricity. The contact area is darkened and rough and needs a wipe. I even spin AA batteries in place in their receptacles as my first resort if things go dim or wonky, like my computer mouse acting up.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

aviationfred

Here is an example of a heat shrink butt splice. As mentioned above. You crimp the metal feral to your wires the same as a regular butt spice, then use a heat gun to shrink the plastic.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fj1289

Quote from: bigbore2 on April 27, 2016, 09:32:47 PM
heat shrink crimp connectors-never heard of them.  Will sort out locally here, I hope.
that site in Canada looks tasty-thanx

All the normal car parts places carry her shrink style as- Autozone, NAPA, O'Reillys, etc

OxGuard I've found at RadioShack and Home Depot.

aviationfred

Oh..... Something to remember. Use the lowest heat setting on heat gun that will shrink the heat shrink. The material that is used for insulation for Motorcycle/Automotive wiring has a relatively low melting point.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

indyblue

Hate replying to a necro-thread but it seems I will have to replace the front brake switch for a second time in two years.  I replaced with an OEM one about two years ago and it's already failed.

Is this common?
Indianapolis, IN `O=o-
1984 FJ1100, 39K mi., custom blue paint, K&N's, jetted, Supertrapps
2005 Pontiac GTO Impulse Blue M6 - gone
2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible M6 Crystal Red Tintcoat
1967 Firebird H-O Conv

racerrad8

Quote from: indyblue on June 24, 2023, 01:19:04 PM
Hate replying to a necro-thread but it seems I will have to replace the front brake switch for a second time in two years.  I replaced with an OEM one about two years ago and it's already failed.

Is this common?

Not normal. The usual culprit is moisture corroding the contacts inside..

There is the occasional broken contact as it is a pivot, those are pretty rare.

Pop the cover off and have a look, you might identify the problem. If you find it corroded and replace it again, pop the cover off the new one and put a.little dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent future issues.

We don't not stock the front switch because they don't usually gove trouble, but I can supply both Yamaha or aftermarket. The only front brake light switch we stock os the conversion switch for those who are changing over to thr FJR master cylinder.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3ABrakeLightSwitch

Let us know what you find.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

indyblue

My genuine OEM Yamaha replacement switch indeed went bad. Still don't know what failed, wiggling one of the connector tabs produced intermittent brake lighting.  I think the plastic housing either failed or was marginally defective, it only lasted one season.  Bike is always garaged and has not seen rain in over a decade so I can't imagine it's due to corrosion.  I replaced with a new OEM part and all is well.

If this one fails, I may need to try to add a capacitor for arc prevention along with dielectric grease.
Indianapolis, IN `O=o-
1984 FJ1100, 39K mi., custom blue paint, K&N's, jetted, Supertrapps
2005 Pontiac GTO Impulse Blue M6 - gone
2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible M6 Crystal Red Tintcoat
1967 Firebird H-O Conv