News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RPM Rear Shock & Fork Valves with standard tyres

Started by biggo, October 30, 2015, 01:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggo

Hi Guys.

I have been reading all the good feedback on the RPM shocks and fork valves on the site.

I am seriously looking at these modifications but still keeping the standard wheels and bias tyres at least for the time being. My bike is a 93 FJ1200.

Does anyone know if the improvements you guys are all raving about have been reported by people who haven't also fitted different wheels radial tyres etc.

It is obviously a reasonable investment so just want to do my homework first

Cheers  Phil
FJ1200 1994
XJ900F 1986

http://biggsbiking.blogspot.co.nz/

FJmonkey

Phil, since the suspension system resides between the tires/wheels and the bike, any improvements will benefit the bike. Then when you upgrade the tires and wheels you get that benefit as well. Maybe a member here has done the valves on a stock front and can comment. I did the wheel, forks and valves in one shot. Wow what an improvement.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

Phil,

Randy at RPM has a fj that is set up just like that and is running bias tires .. So yes the valves and shock will improve your ride lots.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

racerrad8

Quote from: Mark Olson on October 30, 2015, 04:41:13 PM
Randy at RPM has a fj that is set up just like that and is running bias tires .. So yes the valves and shock will improve your ride lots.

Mark, I am running my 93 with the standard 17 F & 16R wheels, but I am currently testing the Shinko radials for possible FJ production sizes in the future. That was my mount for the Renegade Rally.

I also am running an 86 with stock 16" on Avon radials, which is the bike Robert rode at the rally.

Phil, if there are any questions I can answer for you please let me know either here or by email.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

biggo

Hi Randy.

I do not consider myself a fast rider but what I really want to address is the wallowing that I get on fast sweeping bends that have less than an ideal surface.
My choices are to upgrade to a newer bike or do some suspension work on my FJ to get it as close as I can to a modern bike.
My bike has done 125000 km and suspension has not been serviced repaired other than fork seals and strip and grease rear linkages.
I am looking at replacing the rear shock with your one plus fork valves new springs and maybe a fork brace?
Do you think I will get the results I am looking for ?
Living in little New Zealand we do not have great access to replacement 17 inch wheels that you guys in more populated country's do but I guess that would be next on the list.
Any other thoughts or opinions welcomed

Cheers  Phil
FJ1200 1994
XJ900F 1986

FJ1100mjk

Though known to go many more kilometers than what you have on our FJ, the FJ is old technology when it comes to its suspension, braking system components, electrical system, tires, fuel system, and to some extent, its mass. Your bike is old, and in need of some money thrown at it. How much you want to sink into it is your choice. That said, if you did buy a new bike, you'd have many more choices available when it comes to modern day technologies and rider ergonomics, but your costs are going to be much greater than refurbishing your FJ. It depends on what you really want, finances, and your long-term vision of motorcycle ownership. Do you think that even with putting a fair amount of money into your FJ and making it better, that you may find yourself in the next two or three years still wanting the new bike?

To cure your FJ's wallowing woes, you could do it on the cheap. Relatively speaking. Heavier, straight-rate springs, and new internal bushings up front with fresh oil at the correct level, and a new (whatever price point that you have in mind) aftermarket shock out back with the correct spring rate, will take care of the problem. New, or a good cleaning and lube with correct adjustment of the steering head bearings would be on the list too. You mentioned the linkages out back were stripped and greased, but did you remove the swingarm and go through it's pivot point and bearings? If not, that could be needed, and would help your handling and suspension action too.

I still ride on 16" rims, and have gone through my suspension and done what I highlighted above. The money that I put into it was well spent, and cured what you're experiencing with your FJ. Does it have a "magic carpet ride"? No, and I knew it wouldn't. I just wanted an improvement, and it was good enough for my riding style (not slow, but not fast either), and long-term vision of my motorcycling future.

You'll get opinions for heavy mods, mods described above, those noted earlier, and everything in between. Good luck on whatever path you take. I think you'll be happy with any path you take. It's only money.  :good2:

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

fjfool

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on October 31, 2015, 06:44:07 AM
Though known to go many more kilometers than what you have on our FJ, the FJ is old technology when it comes to its suspension, braking system components, electrical system, tires, fuel system, and to some extent, its mass. Your bike is old, and in need of some money thrown at it. How much you want to sink into it is your choice. That said, if you did buy a new bike, you'd have many more choices available when it comes to modern day technologies and rider ergonomics, but your costs are going to be much greater than refurbishing your FJ. It depends on what you really want, finances, and your long-term vision of motorcycle ownership. Do you think that even with putting a fair amount of money into your FJ and making it better, that you may find yourself in the next two or three years still wanting the new bike?

To cure your FJ's wallowing woes, you could do it on the cheap. Relatively speaking. Heavier, straight-rate springs, and new internal bushings up front with fresh oil at the correct level, and a new (whatever price point that you have in mind) aftermarket shock out back with the correct spring rate, will take care of the problem. New, or a good cleaning and lube with correct adjustment of the steering head bearings would be on the list too. You mentioned the linkages out back were stripped and greased, but did you remove the swingarm and go through it's pivot point and bearings? If not, that could be needed, and would help your handling and suspension action too.

I still ride on 16" rims, and have gone through my suspension and done what I highlighted above. The money that I put into it was well spent, and cured what you're experiencing with your FJ. Does it have a "magic carpet ride"? No, and I knew it wouldn't. I just wanted an improvement, and it was good enough for my riding style (not slow, but not fast either), and long-term vision of my motorcycling future.

You'll get opinions for heavy mods, mods described above, those noted earlier, and everything in between. Good luck on whatever path you take. I think you'll be happy with any path you take. It's only money.  :good2:

very well spoken
imho? go for it, valves and shock first- it will put a big smile on your face
then, if you ever get a chance to do the wheel conversion, it will put a smile on your face again!
there is a good reason why these mods are so popular with the riders on this forum
dont forget, a set of HH pads will even improve the performance of the wooden calipers and crap brake lines
cheers

racerrad8

Quote from: biggo on October 31, 2015, 02:11:05 AM
Hi Randy.

I do not consider myself a fast rider but what I really want to address is the wallowing that I get on fast sweeping bends that have less than an ideal surface.
My choices are to upgrade to a newer bike or do some suspension work on my FJ to get it as close as I can to a modern bike.
My bike has done 125000 km and suspension has not been serviced repaired other than fork seals and strip and grease rear linkages.
I am looking at replacing the rear shock with your one plus fork valves new springs and maybe a fork brace?
Do you think I will get the results I am looking for ?

Cheers  Phil

Phil, the short answer is, yes.

I understand it is a substantial investment into a "older bike" but how many guys are still spending money on VW bugs, or 65 Mustangs or Corvettes? It is because you can improve on what you have, enjoy what you have even more and not have to continue to replace to obtain improvement.

On another note, I had a customer here at the shop today to install the shift detent kit. We have already installed the fork valves last year and he is trying to figure out if the rear shock is required or if he can keep tuning on the front end to get it better. He rides this bike everyday as his commuter through a twistie canyon road.

When I got done installing the shift kit, he asked me to ride his bike to see what I thought of the front end and if it can be tuned better. This is a 90, it has stock wheels, Conti radials and the suspension upgrades are RPM fork valves & springs and a fork brace.

So, I told him I would ride his FJ and he could ride my 93 with stock wheels & ABS, Shinko radials and the same front suspension set-up but combined with a RPM rear shock.

When we got to our stop for lunch after a 15 minute twistie ride, the first thing out his mouth was, "Where do I start"...

He then said, "I will definitely have a rear shock under my Christmas tree at the latest".

He was impressed by so many things about the complete suspension package he could not really explain it, other than using the word "smooth" over & over again.

Now, me riding his bike, the front end is solid and right where I expected it to be.

The rear on the other hand is a wallowing beast. We hit a merge lane at about 45mph and the back of that bike started to compress then bottomed out onto the rubber bump stop of the shock. It then shot up and when the tire gained traction again, it again compressed to the bump stop and did this several time. I actually unloaded the weight from the seat to the pegs to stop the wallowing.

When we got back to the shop I asked him if he noticed the wallowing at the merge and he said, "nope, it was smooth".

I know people who have installed RPM suspension components have exuded of the improvement of the handling of the FJ and use terms, like...

"magic carpet ride"

"I then purchased the RPM shock, crap WHAT a difference, it was chalk and cheese..."

"As I emailed to Randy I think his emulators are totally "crap", because the acceptable rear end has now turned into a Mack truck while the front end feels fantastic

and

I have the race-tech springs and emulators on the front and the penske 3-way adjustable rear on My 86 . I have spent a bazillion hours and thousands of miles getting my fj just the way I like it; With RPM Randy offering a one size fits all Rear shock I am thrilled"

Here are a couple of reads if you have not read them yet
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=8658.0
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=8800.0

Phil, I can only tell you I have built the best suspension components for the FJ that are specifically built for the FJ. These are not universal products that with a change of a spring or adjustment will fit other brands & types of motorcycles. I know sometimes the reviews are just "too good" and/or seem "over the top", but in all seriousness that is the true reaction after installing the RPM suspension components and getting them dialed in.

Again, if I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

biggo

Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies and sharing your own experiences.
You have made my mind up of course I have to spend the money on the FJ and bring her up to date.

Randy :::  Interested in what Shinko tyres you are trying out??
I will create a wish list and be in touch very soon. I assume you can arrange shipping to NZ ?
FJ1200 1994
XJ900F 1986

racerrad8

Quote from: biggo on November 01, 2015, 01:51:40 AM
Randy :::  Interested in what Shinko tyres you are trying out??
I will create a wish list and be in touch very soon. I assume you can arrange shipping to NZ ?

I am not sure, I am at home and it is at the shop. We are testing tires, albeit the wrong sizes, just to see how the compound & tires works on the heavy FJ. I have about 6k miles on the tires to date and I am very happy with them.

Now, we have to work with Shinko to have the tire made in the standard FJ 16 & 17" tire sizes.

Yes, no problem shipping to NZ.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

dayta

Hi Phil,
         being a fellow kiwi and AB supporter living over the ditch - I have front and rear upgrades from RPM.
While it does seem expensive and our dollars do not compare with the USA mob -if you can afford it - spend the money and do your self a favour. Personally - I am very critical of these sorts of things but this stuff does work quite well.
Only real criticism I have is the front springs recommended are still to hard. I weigh 100kg and run .8 springs and they are still to hard to react as I think they should. On the softest setting and with my daughter on the back (about and extra 50kg) they transform into what they should be and smooth out pretty much everything... When I ride alone - the front takes the initial shock well but still seems to pop up and over bumps at normal speeds rather than completely soaking them up.

Anyway - wollow you mention is gone and the bike will out perform anything I can throw at it...so to me worth the money.

As for rubber - see if you can find a set of avon radials locally. I currently have these after running pirelli sport demons and they are alot better - particually with the average roads in NZ and wetter conditions you wont regret it.

As for the fork brace - can not say i notice any difference but they do look cool and are well made.!

Dayta
People who don't ride....just don't get it

Mark Olson

The fork brace will keep the fender tabs from breaking and cracking.
As expensive as fenders are , it is worth the price.

Once upon a time I did a ride test with brace on and brace off over the same stretch off road. I found you get used to it being on really quick ,but when you remove it and go over the same road it seems like the road has somehow become worse . The bike now twitches and wanders like tires lost psi...put the brace back on and magically the road is better and the ride is smoother.
This was confirmed with another FJ rider as we switched the brace from bike to bike during the test.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mark Olson on November 02, 2015, 01:48:58 PM
The fork brace will keep the fender tabs from breaking and cracking.
As expensive as fenders are , it is worth the price.

I have also recently discovered that over tightening at the fender tabs is bad as well. When I welded the one broken tab back on I could see the indent from the flanged head of the bolt and the additional cracks in the ABS caused by it being forced to extrude out and away from the bolt. The other side also had cracks and if not fixed would later result in a complete break. Now I put a dab of blue thread lock and finger tight the bolts, knowing the fork brace will keep the forks from going bow legged in the turns and thread lock to keep the bolts in place.

Pat Conlon

Put 2 washers on each side between the fender tabs and the fork.
This is needed when you remove the oem brake line bracket, the one with the reflector on it.

The fork brace absolutely works, no question. Those oem 41mm stanchion tubes are rather spindley by today's standards. Our FJ's are heavy. Those tubes bow outward when the front end loads up.
Next time you have your fender off, look at the 4 holes in the aluminum strap.
Not quite round are they? They were round at one time...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

This is not an FJ part but the one I took off my '86 looked similar. This came off a Suzuki Bandit, not sure what year or size but all years have 41MM forks. I don't think I need to zoom in for you all.

If a metal part is distorted this much, what chance does a plastic fender have?