News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

GSXR Rear Wheel mod spacers

Started by chocker, October 28, 2015, 12:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocker

Hi Guys,

I did the rear wheel mod and everything seemed to be good. I realize now that I used spacers that were approximately 2.5mm each thinking that the 4mm width was the total for both spacers. Is it 4mm for each spacer? If so, I am not able to find a spacer with a 20mm inner diameter and approximately 4mm wide. Would anyone be able to tell me where to find one if that is the case. I live in Montreal Quebec Canada.

Thanks,

Mark

aviationfred

This is the file that lists the 4mm washers as spacers. http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=3380.0

0ne 4mm washer installed on each side, next to the swing arm.

I found my washers at an ACE Hardware store.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

chocker

That's great, thanks. I just need to find a place closer to me in Montreal. I went yesterday to a hardware store and I got two spacers but they are a little thinner at about 3mm. Hard to tell the exact width with a tape measure because it is small.

Mark

FJmonkey

Quote from: chocker on October 29, 2015, 02:21:35 PM
That's great, thanks. I just need to find a place closer to me in Montreal. I went yesterday to a hardware store and I got two spacers but they are a little thinner at about 3mm. Hard to tell the exact width with a tape measure because it is small.

Mark

Mark, use a couple of Toonies to measure thickness, each one is about 1.8MM so two will get you 3.6MM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_the_Canadian_dollar
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

chocker

Hi,

that's a great idea and I happen to have two toonies in my pocket as I read your reply. One seems a little thinner though. Either way, the spacer is the same thickness as the coins. When I think about it, the spacers I used initially were exactly the same size as the two I just bought. I know because luckily the spacers are stamped with part numbers and they are the only size that would fit that I found in the hardware store. The whole reason that I thought they were too thin is that when I tightened the axle nut, the cotter pin slot came out slightly more then with the stock wheel.

Mark

FJmonkey

Now make sure the rear wheel is properly aligned, a little pinch of the swing arm is not bad, poor alignment is bad.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

chocker

Other than that, it all seems good with the alignment. I do see that the links on the chain are getting a little harder to bend than before. I have been lubing on a regular basis but I haven't changed the chain so that could be another issue altogether. I think during the winter, I'll get a new chain. The sprockets were changed when I did the wheel mod so they are still good.

Mark

scotiafj

:hi: Mark thats exactly what I found with my spindle ..thought the spacers might be too thin but Ive done over 1000 miles since doing the mod about 3 weeks ago and every things ok ..  :good: