News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Horn upgrade

Started by Yamahammer1200, October 05, 2015, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamahammer1200

Stock horn sounds like the Roadrunner (meemeep!).  A search suggests the Steibel Compact, but looked like a mighty tight fit.  I do want to mount up front, as I am trying to alert those texters ahead, not the ones I am passing.  Looking for a workable upgrade.
Chrome don't get you home.
1989 FJ1200

FJmonkey

I like my Hella Tone dual frequency horns. One lower and one higher to cover a better range of noise. Easy to install and comes with a relay so power comes directly from the battery. Ignore the black electrical tape holding my front fender on. I will get the tabs welded back on this weekend. And the Fraken-Bolt pegs are changing as well, too high up and too far forward.

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

They do make a lot of noise.. Especially every time my tank bag hits the bloody horn !

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Yamahammer1200

That looks workable, trying to keep it as stock looking as I can. Loud? Hands free phones in CA means every real estate agent  and lawyer can't hear you. 
1989 FJ1200

Bones

I originally had my air horn mounted horizontally at the front,  but made another bracket so it's sitting vertical because their really meant to be mounted that way. Easy enough to do, bit of flat steel bent at the end to get it sitting inside the forks a bit.

Mounted the horn and fairing loosely and adjusted the bracket till there were no clearance issues when turning lock to lock

With the fairing mounted you can't see the horn or bracket unless you look under or from the top.

93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

giantkiller

I mounted my airhorn under the arch that the front tab for the seat goes into. Lots of room with no airbox.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

CutterBill

If you ride so that you actually NEED a horn, you're doing it wrong.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: CutterBill on October 06, 2015, 09:06:19 AM
If you ride so that you actually NEED a horn, you're doing it wrong.
Bill

Please explain. The way I read your statement is, that if no horn is required, if it is never needed. Correct/incorrect?
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

CutterBill

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  No, what I meant was... if you put yourself in a position where you need to use your horn, to let cagers know you are there, then you are not riding defensively.  I don't mean to turn this into a riding tutorial; far better riders than I can help you with that.  But basically, don't ride in a cager's blind spot.  Use the inherent strengths of the bike (acceleration, braking, turning) to stay out of harm's way.  Relying on a horn to do that will only lead, someday, to disappointment.   No worries...   :drinks:
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Yamahammer1200

I doubt the High Desert has as much congestion as a commute into San Francisco.
I get your point, but I have actually needed my horn more in parking lots and stop lights than on the freeway.
1989 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Having a loud horn and not needing it, is better needing it and not having it. We are not in complete control out there, the best riding tool sits between our ears. Having other tools can be a big help from time to time... Ride like you don't have loud horn, use it when you need it... So sayeth the Monkey.

fj1289

Quote from: FJmonkey on October 05, 2015, 08:48:54 PM
I like my Hella Tone dual frequency horns. One lower and one higher to cover a better range of noise. Easy to install and comes with a relay so power comes directly from the battery. Ignore the black electrical tape holding my front fender on. I will get the tabs welded back on this weekend. And the Fraken-Bolt pegs are changing as well, too high up and too far forward.

Add some "stirrups" to those pegs and you can start offering "exams"!

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj1289 on October 07, 2015, 12:33:12 PM

A bit Frankenstein eh? It was a last minute attempt before the renegade rally. They sit too high and forward. I am working on a bolt on solution using the rear pegs. I will post up when I have a good solution.

jscgdunn

Quote from: FJmonkey on October 07, 2015, 12:50:39 PM

A bit Frankenstein eh? It was a last minute attempt before the renegade rally. They sit too high and forward. I am working on a bolt on solution using the rear pegs. I will post up when I have a good solution.

I guess it would be somewhat like this but it may require some fine tuning :rofl:
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

jscgdunn

Quote from: jscgdunn on October 07, 2015, 03:30:10 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on October 07, 2015, 12:50:39 PM

I guess it would be somewhat like this but it may require some fine tuning :rofl:

Forgot the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mal3ns1WxCs
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots