News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1989 not running, possibly seized

Started by msgtwright, September 20, 2015, 04:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msgtwright

Hi. Just picked up my first FJ. Been wanting one for years.  This 89 1200 is not running.  PO said ran to/from work daily (60 miles) until this month.  Lost power on interstate and had to be trucked home.  Now engine seems to be seized.  My first question is how can I be for sure the engine is seized?  I do not have much background working on engines but I am fairly knowledgeable and will finish whatever I start.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Tom

charleygofast

Take off the gas tank and remove all 4 spark plugs. With the bike on the center stand put the bike in gear and try to turn the motor over by spinning the rear wheel. You might try to rock the wheel forewards and reverse to see if it is free. If yours doesn't have a center stand  try to push it with the plugs out and in gear. You can also remove the engine covers and try to turn the engine over with a wrench or proper size socket on breaker bar. Good luck...and welcome!                     Charley.
1984 Yamaha FJ 1100
1981 Yamaha XS 650
1985 Suzuki SP 600F
1979 Yamaha XS 1100                                                                      2015 Kawasaki KLR 650

racerrad8

Remove the left side ignition cover and use a 14mm wrench or socket to turn the crankshaft.

The engine rotates counter clockwise as you look at the ignition rotor.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

msgtwright

Thanks for the information. I will give that a try this afternoon.
Tom

msgtwright

Well, looks like it is seized.  Couldn't budge the engine with the plugs out and in gear from the nut on the end of the crank or by the back wheel.  Think i'm gonna start removing the engine for a rebuild unless there are any other suggestions.  Thanks
Tom.

Arnie

You probably do need a rebuild, but if the seizure is being caused by rusted rings to cylinder liner you could try spraying or injecting via a hypodermic syringe some "penetrating oil", leave it a day or so and then try turning the engine over.
IF it can be turned over from this, then try riding it for a week or so.  Then take a compression check.
That will tell you if you NEED to do a full rebuild.
You may get lucky, or you may just have wasted a week before starting the project.

NOTE: The best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone (try to not breathe the fumes, and be careful its very flamable)

FJmonkey

I love the smell of Acetone in the morning... :yahoo:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Bones

Check the sight glass on the engine case and see if there's any oil in it. The PO might've been oblivious to details like that and it's seized from lack of.  Might be cheaper and easier sourcing another engine compared to a full rebuild, depending on the damage done.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

SkyFive

FWIW - I rebuilt an FJ engine once, I could have bought a brand new XJR1250 engine for what I ended up spending, I learned after the fact. Mine was in pretty bad shape though.

racerrad8

Quote from: SkyFive on September 20, 2015, 08:47:06 PM
FWIW - I rebuilt an FJ engine once, I could have bought a brand new XJR1250 engine for what I ended up spending, I learned after the fact. Mine was in pretty bad shape though.

Those must have been the good ol' days...

The current price of the XJR1250/1300 engine, without carbs is $6,435.00

Rebuilding is probably more economical again; depending on the rebuild that is...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

msgtwright

This forum cracks me up.  Thanks for the oil tip.  I will definitely give it a try first.  Not necessarily looking forward to doing a rebuild, but then again I can think of worse things to do. Only two drawbacks I see are 1.)  I won't be able to ride it during the process (unless I put a temporary set of bike pedals on it) and 2.) if it really does wind up costing 6K+.  Don't really see that happening though, but only because I don't have 6K to spend on it right now.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again.
Tom

Mark Olson

Just curious ,,how many miles on the fj?
What does an FJ with a seized engine cost?
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

msgtwright

It's been down at least once on the left side so it needs fairings.  Frame is straight & suspension is a little limp but other than that it's a bone stock CA model with 50K on it.  I got it delivered to my door for $300.  For that price even my wife didn't want me to pass it up.

Bill_Rockoff

Someone was advertising a complete / rebuilt engine on our Classifieds section.  I decided to wait / go a different route, but you might look into that.  You could have a running bike with a tested / broken-in engine for a decent price that way.

Good luck.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

Mark Olson

Quote from: msgtwright on September 21, 2015, 08:20:52 AM
It's been down at least once on the left side so it needs fairings.  Frame is straight & suspension is a little limp but other than that it's a bone stock CA model with 50K on it.  I got it delivered to my door for $300.  For that price even my wife didn't want me to pass it up.

Wow, good price Tom.
If you want ride now , get a used engine and then you can take your time with a rebuild. Lots of options for a rebuild ....like a big bore kit .
Since yours will not break loose try the soaking recommend already but it sounds like it melted down and will have scored cylinders.
What area are you located ? There may be a local member to assist.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"