News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1989 not running, possibly seized

Started by msgtwright, September 20, 2015, 04:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dads_FJ

It would be interesting to see what went south on this engine.   (popcorn)  Low/no oil - that's my guess. 
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

msgtwright

Hey.  Sorry for posting so late... had to work today.  First, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the support and enthusiasm.  In my eyes part of what makes this bike so great are the owners.  I'm located in Southern California (Moreno Valley).  I have been toying with the idea of finding a running engine for a swap (really want to get riding again soon).  Not sure I trust ebay though.  Knowing there might be one available here, I will definitely keep my eyes open.  I'm sure I will have many, many questions as I proceed.  I will start by ordering a shop manual this week.  I'll keep everyone posted as I go along and learn more.  Thanks again for everyone's support.
Tom 

FJmonkey

Tom, good to know that we have one more SoCal FJowner. I am not too far away and may have some time to pay you a visit and possibly help you out. I am near the 210 FWY and the 2 (the awesome Angels Crest). I will be watching for your updates.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

msgtwright

Nice to hear there is someone close by.  We will have to get together as this progresses.
Tom

msgtwright

Hi all,
Well it took a while but I finally have the engine in pieces on the garage floor.  Looks like the oil level switch got disconnected from the instrument cluster and the bike ran low of oil.  I found a small hole in one of the exhaust valves on #1 cylinder. One exhaust valve on #2 cylinder was mushroomed.  Has a fair amount of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.  Cylinder walls look in pretty good condition.  No scoring that I can see.  The #1 & #2 big end bearings were in the process of disintegrating and the #1 was the one that seized.  Those two bearing surfaces are scored.  The mains looked to be in good condition.  All of the shrapnel seems to have stayed in the pan and didn't get circulated around.  I also noticed some discoloration on the #1 connecting rod and on the crankshaft counterweight by the #1 connecting rod bearing journal.  I haven't had time to check the engine to see if it is warped yet.  I will try to get to that on Monday evening.  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  I'm most concerned about the discoloration on the crank.  I understand that the bearing surfaces can be ground if the crank is still straight and the scoring isn't too bad.  But if the crank was overheated does it require replacement instead?  Would love to hear everyone's opinions.  Thanks Tom.

msgtwright

I'm most concerned about the discoloration on the crank from overheating at the #1 rod big end bearing.  I understand that the bearing surfaces can be ground if the crank is still straight and the scoring isn't too bad.  But if the crank was overheated does it require replacement instead?  Also noticed that the engine doesn't have cam bearings.  I was unaware of that.  So does that mean if the camshaft journals are out of spec the whole head and camshafts have to be replaced?  Would love to hear everyone's opinions.  Thanks Tom.

racerrad8

Do you have any pictures?

That would allow us to see what you are seeing.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Swedenbill

Quote from: msgtwright on September 20, 2015, 04:36:04 AM
Hi. Just picked up my first FJ. Been wanting one for years.  This 89 1200 is not running.  PO said ran to/from work daily (60 miles) until this month.  Lost power on interstate and had to be trucked home.  Now engine seems to be seized.  My first question is how can I be for sure the engine is seized?  I do not have much background working on engines but I am fairly knowledgeable and will finish whatever I start.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

I own two FJ1200 1989 plus a K100RS 1989. The BMW has a wonderfull trasmission and a nice fuel injected engine. It feel like I have a ME 109! One of the FJ 1200 is giving me a few problems which I am working out. So even now I have some valuable experience such as:
1. Rejetting because of changing to individual air filters (what a difference)
2. Start problems due to start switch on handle bar needing cleaning (not a good design)
3. Various terminals corroded (changed them)
4. Starting problem (no fuel) (kinked fuel line)
5. Shifting could be better (I will change oil made for both engine and gearbox) Not car oil.
6. Headlight reflector is dull probably oxidized (I will see if I can polish it)
7. I will check the valve clearance and do the carb sync as I suspect the engine will really perfom better, less vibration.
8. Replaced instrument lens, both are cracked.
9. Leaking (not working) hydraulic clutch seal defective. There is a special way to bleed it. The seal (bottom) needs back pressure. Put a clamp on it.

Anyway, I will be glad to trade information. Remember, about 75% of the faults can be seen. Of course, you might have to take a cover off so that the fault is in view.

Sweden Bill e-mail william.white13@gmail.com

Dads_FJ

Quote from: msgtwright on November 07, 2015, 05:11:43 PM
I'm most concerned about the discoloration on the crank from overheating at the #1 rod big end bearing.  I understand that the bearing surfaces can be ground if the crank is still straight and the scoring isn't too bad.  But if the crank was overheated does it require replacement instead?  Also noticed that the engine doesn't have cam bearings.  I was unaware of that.  So does that mean if the camshaft journals are out of spec the whole head and camshafts have to be replaced?  Would love to hear everyone's opinions.  Thanks Tom.

If it were me I'd wait for a parts bike that was crashed and drop in a complete engine.  Just my .02. 

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Burns

The most expensive bike I ever owned I got for free.

I say cut your losses. Part this one out and go buy a running motorcycle. I'd think the frame w/title and the carbs should get your money back. Maybe keep some good spares (ignition stuff e.g.)

Otherwise you are going to have more in this rat than it is worth and you'll be wrenching when you could be riding.

Of course, you are the only person who knows what your time is worth and how you'd like to spend it.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.