News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

How hard is it to get a 1991 FJ1200 back to factory original color scheme?

Started by pjviitas, September 04, 2015, 08:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjviitas

First time poster...great to see a forum dedicated to such a great motorcycle.

Does anyone have any idea what it usually takes to get an FJ back to original factory color scheme?

Is it hard or expensive or a little bit of both?

Any feedback is welcome.

Hedghog

FJmonkey

Are you doing the work your self? Or contracting it all out? Or some mix of the two. You have a lot of variables that affect price. Including, how fast or how good  you want the job done? Mostly paint and labor involved to have it prepped and properly applied and some decals... Possibly some plastic welding to fix the cracks before you spend all that effort and $$$ for a good finish.

Welcome, to the loony bin, where our straight jackets are made of leather...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

paulfj03

I plan on doing the same to my 91. Currently, it is a custom blue with 89 decals. The easiest and a cheaper way for me is to just buy the stock coloured plastics and tank. I have yet to get the tail piece and repair the chin fairing, then I'm set. There is something about having the stock colours eh? When cleaned and shined up the 91 looks awesome... :good2:

Cheers

pjviitas

Quote from: FJmonkey on September 04, 2015, 09:06:11 PM
Are you doing the work your self? Or contracting it all out? Or some mix of the two. You have a lot of variables that affect price. Including, how fast or how good  you want the job done? Mostly paint and labor involved to have it prepped and properly applied and some decals... Possibly some plastic welding to fix the cracks before you spend all that effort and $$$ for a good finish.

Welcome, to the loony bin, where our straight jackets are made of leather...

I will be doing all the disassembly and reassembly myself.

Any painting or decaling will be done by someone else.

Great welcome..thanks!

pjviitas

Quote from: paulfj03 on September 04, 2015, 09:18:34 PM

I plan on doing the same to my 91. Currently, it is a custom blue with 89 decals. The easiest and a cheaper way for me is to just buy the stock coloured plastics and tank. I have yet to get the tail piece and repair the chin fairing, then I'm set. There is something about having the stock colours eh? When cleaned and shined up the 91 looks awesome... :good2:

Cheers

The biggest draw for stock colors where I come from is that in order to get the bike registered as vintage motorcycle is that it has to have the original paint scheme...this then opens the doors to really cheap insurance.

FJmonkey

FJmonkey

pjviitas

Quote from: FJmonkey on September 04, 2015, 11:39:13 PM
Quote from: pjviitas on September 04, 2015, 11:38:21 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on September 04, 2015, 11:32:37 PM
Where are you?

British Columbia Canada

Good, maybe others can post up with local experience....

Here is a link http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Collector-vehicles.aspx

Here is the basics:
Collectible condition of your vehicle

Your vehicle must be:
•in exceedingly good condition (for example, no dents, scratches, rust, chips in the paint, visible primer, tears in the interior);
•in a condition that conforms to the original manufacturer's specifications (no non-approved parts and accessories added); and
•maintained in the same condition when originally approved for collector plates.​

In addition, as one of the previous posters stated, original colors make the bike much more special in my opinion.

4everFJ

If I do the disassembly/assembly and prepwork myself, a full professional paintjob in original colours, where I live (Denmark), would be approx. USD 3000.

The paint itself is quite expensive and there is quite a lot of masking job involved due to the 3 colours (mine is the red/white/black).

The above is only for the plastic parts, not the frame.
1985 - Yamaha FJ1100 36Y
1978 - Yamaha SR500
1983 - Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
1977 - Kawasaki Z400 (sold)

1tinindian

Wonderful to see some 91-love again.
We are few, and far between.
The few pink-stripers we have are a hearty lot, with the thickest skin, so be prepared to support and defend your manhood! :yahoo:
Good luck with your project, and please, post some pictures of what your FJ looks like now, and how the transformation is going!

Leon

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

paulfj03