News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

WCR possible Route destination

Started by moparman70, May 05, 2015, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOA NOM

Is there anyone in NorCal interested in a daytrip up for one of the rides? I'm in Livermore, and I'm not really interested in the overnight up at Coleville, but I'm down for an early run up to a rendezvous and join the run for the day.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Capn Ron

Quote from: moparman70 on May 07, 2015, 10:12:04 PM
For the record --- the Virginia City route was just an early bird special ---

basically and alternate idea to go on so we don't duplicate the roads we are taking on the rally for persons arriving tues or wed. ---  and give the out of town folks a look-see at Virginia City ( and I will be damned it I hoof it straight there and back)...... thus around the lake was a pretty good route.   As far as it being slow ---- as long as its not raining slow is ok --- as it gets good once you get to 431 and I am sure there are some purrrty views of the lake along the route.

I am not sure as I said about our arrival time --- I took the whole week off so I am considering travelling up Tuesday if MonkeyMark wants to --- so that would give me and extra day to fool around aswell.

If help is needed on a pre-ride route I might be able to help with that as well.  

Yeah, I'm with ya Steve!  I rode through Virginia City, but it was at the end of a 600 mile day crossing the Nevada desert in 106 degree heat.  I didn't even stop, but vowed to go back!!!

As much as I LOVE hammering out some twisty mountain roads, my riding is so embellished by the unplanned (and often planned) slow downs to take in some scenery.  The 89 around Emerald Bay is spectacular!

Keep me posted as to when you're heading up.  I'm probably going to ride to the area a day or two ahead of time to hang out with friends and run Ice House Road on the way to Colleville (been on my bucket list for YEARS!).   :good2:

Here's 27 miles of forested nirvana that is Icehouse Road:

Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Flynt

Quote from: moparman70 on May 07, 2015, 10:12:04 PM
For the record --- the Virginia City route was just an early bird special ---

...and one that I'd do...  just calibrating on what you're getting into.  The views along Emerald Bay and 431 make the whole thing worth while.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Mark Olson

Capn Ron,  Ice house road is best run entering from hwy 50 , So take 50 then ice house rd then on to wentworth springs rd.  That way you are heading uphill with the grade and save your brakes . The best way to run that , Trust me and you will not be disappointed.

So enter at hwy 50 and take ice house rd to wentworth springs rd. Then after you reach Georgetown take the 193 to the 49 to placerville and back on hwy 50 to the 89 .

It looks as though you are coming from auburn on your map but maybe catch the 49 to placerville  to pleasant valley road to sly park road/E16 which will dump you onto hwy 50 at pollock pines  and a couple more miles further is ice house rd.

There are other local jewels as well .. Salmon falls road... Latrobe road... 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

andyoutandabout

Mark is the truth, icehouse is the way.
life without a bike is just life

Capn Ron

Right there with you both...I've run Ice House Road to Wentworth Springs from the 50 on MANY occasions.  Unfortunately, I was always towing the rock crawler out to the Rubicon...  Every time, my head has always gone into the motorcycle mode thinking how great that road would be!  I totally agree that uphill is the way to go!

That being said, I'll be staying near Auburn...then heading through Georgetown, Wentworth Springs to Ice House, onto the 50 and off to Coleville.  Hoping to make a nice morning of it with an early afternoon arrival at the WCR base camp!   :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Mark Olson

Alright Ron , Sounds like your route is already set... just trying to increase your enjoyment.  :dance:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Capn Ron

Quote from: Mark Olson on May 09, 2015, 03:14:56 PM
Alright Ron , Sounds like your route is already set... just trying to increase your enjoyment.  :dance:

Definitely!  You're the go-to guys for the roads up there for sure!   :good2:

I have an extra bed at the rally lodge if you know anyone who wants to split costs send 'em my way! 
Cap'n Ron. . .

Mark Olson

Quote from: Capn Ron on May 09, 2015, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Mark Olson on May 09, 2015, 03:14:56 PM

Definitely!  You're the go-to guys for the roads up there for sure!   :good2:

I have an extra bed at the rally lodge if you know anyone who wants to split costs send 'em my way! 

Check with Andy , He is a bit of a last minute guy and probably needs a bed. 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

moparman70

Mike Ramos sometimes needs a bed as well Capt Ron

What day are you riding the Ice House Road ---

sc2

Mike Ramos

Good morning!

Thanks for the consideration gentlemen...  I already have a room reserved and will be riding in early Friday morning for two days.  Then meandering towards the north to the Central Rally.

Ride safe,

Mike 

Capn Ron

Quote from: moparman70 on May 11, 2015, 11:15:39 AM

sc2

I'm heading up to Auburn for Tuesday night....then I'm making a few stops Wednesday morning and running Ice Hose to Coleville in the early afternoon.
Cap'n Ron. . .

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 07, 2015, 10:17:07 PM
For folks who are 62 or older, there is a senior park pass you can get for a measly $10 good for a lifetime.
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
Don't we have an age limit? That reminds me...of something... I'll get back to ya

ZOA NOM

Quote from: moparman70 on May 11, 2015, 11:15:39 AM
Mike Ramos sometimes needs a bed as well Capt Ron

sc2

I'm sleeping with Mike... wait... We're sleeping together... wait... He's letting me share his room... wait...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

moparman70

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on May 11, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 07, 2015, 10:17:07 PM
For folks who are 62 or older, there is a senior park pass you can get for a measly $10 good for a lifetime.
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
Don't we have an age limit? That reminds me...of something... I'll get back to ya

I think we did have an age limit --- but I can't remember --- Wait I think I wrote the rule down --- damn --- I can't see it without my glasses -------- I am going to have to say no age limit as I can seem to remember or see my way clear on the subject....