News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Keeping your tank paint safe w a tank bag?

Started by Easterntide, March 30, 2015, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitorino

hi, y'all

I too am struggling with this

want to preserve the original looks of the bike.. but also want practicality if I'm going to spend 1 or 2 nights in a far away hotel with my wife, so need to take (small) baggage

usually the wife "takes the hit" carrying a backpack; but if it's heavy (her things, obviously, not mine) it's bad for her back

but I don't like top-cases which in my opinion disrupts the looks of the FJ

also, my favorite choice - hard case side panniers - are too expensive for the FJ (ridiculous prices for the bars + cases)... and the back blinkers may have to be moved, which I don't want

soft side panniers are dangerous in my opinion, as they may get into the wheel/tire... nope nope

soft top-case... also disrupts the looks of the bike

so the last option is a tank bag... magnetic or straps... with or without a tank cover

tank covers also disrupt the bike looks, especially the all black ones... but they also protect the paint of the tank against scratches... I saw one brand new for my FJ in matching color... but it's very expensive... and if down the line I decide to sell the FJ and buy a completely different bike... I can't re-use the tank cover, as it's made to fit the tank

tank bags with straps look so complicated to install/remove... tank bags with magnets look the most simple choice: install-magnet on then uninstall-magnet off... with the option of putting a cloth between the tank and bag to protect against potential scratches even more

there's also the capacity... having a small tank bag is worthless for me - might as well not to buy it at all - so it has to be at least the size of a normal backpack, to carry at least a 1 night-hotel baggage for 2 people... I'd say the minimum would be 25 litres

I know there's big tank bags that also expand... but even in their normal not-expanded form... can you still see the clocks? (especially speedometer and fuel gauge)... I wouldn't want to get a ticket, thinking I'm peacefully strolling on the highway at a safe 62 mph but then realising I'm actually at 87 mph!  :crazy:

so the big plus on a tank bag is that even if you sell your bike and buy a completely different one... at least you can still keep the bag and use it on the new bike... so it's a good investment down the line, that will last you as long as the bag itself lasts

(of course it would be way simpler if the FJ had OEM integrated hard side panniers)

regards

Millietant

I have an Oxford Sports tank bag that is magnetic, but also comes with a strap-on base kit as well. I use the base on my Aprilia RSV, as it has a plastic fuel tank, but use the magnetic fixing on my FJ. I've been using this tank bag for almost 20 years and and used another magnetic bag for many years before that, over tens of thousands of touring miles and as Jan (2big) on here can possibly attest, my petrol tank paintwork has suffered no damage as a result.

The bag expands a bit and has a clear see-through top pocket (Andy for maps and mobile phones), a zip-on wallet pouch and 2 side pouches that I use for face-shield rags/ ear plugs etc. It even has a zip-on extra bag that gives even more capacity. I believe it's still available from Oxford Products - it also comes with a rain cover and it has an attachment that makes it a back-pack for carrying off the bike, as well as a normal clip-on carry strap.

Pannier wise, the Krauser K2 systems are a neat fit and pop up on eBay reasonably frequently at reasonable prices.

It's not a great photo of the gear, but you can see the tank bag (with zip-on top section) and my panniers in this photo taken on a 2 week family tour of Europe back in 2004.

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

vitorino

thanks for you input, Dean

I've seen Oxford tank bags as well, but not sure if I'll be able to see the clocks - I guess I'll either buy one online (cheaper) and then check it out; or go to a physical store and try it first before I buy it (more expensive)

(or a 3rd option: going to a physical store, try it, if it fits neatly and I'm able to see the clocks, I'll take a note of the brand/model and instead of buying it at the store I'll buy it online)

regards

RPM - Robert

These would be a good option for your tank bag without needing a tank cover

Tank Bag Ring Lock System

Semi Hard Expandable Tank Bag 15L

Soft Side Expandable Tank Bag 15L

If you decide to say good bye to your FJ or even if you have multiple bikes all you would need to do is buy the corresponding ring for that bike and you can easily use the bag on any bike with the ring.

ribbert

Over the years I've had them all and find these to be hands down winners. These particular ones are Givi but most of the major brands now make a version of the same thing.

Givi's version is called "Tanklock" A low profile ring fits around the fuel cap and the bag snaps on to it. I've covered hundreds of thousands of km's with them and I've never heard of one failing. It takes literally 1 second to remove it with a spring loaded lever on the underside of the bag and they just snap back on. There is no contact with the tank (paint)

All these bags fit on the one ring and on other bikes also fitted with the tank ring. I have different bags for different riding.

It is rigid enough to use one handed while riding without fear of it sliding around on the paintwork.

You can see the clearance here, the red you can see underneath is the release lever.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

....I can still see the instruments even with the big bag extended, which is quite high.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

Quote from: vertigobike on July 23, 2020, 10:07:50 AM
thanks for you input, Dean

I've seen Oxford tank bags as well, but not sure if I'll be able to see the clocks - I guess I'll either buy one online (cheaper) and then check it out; or go to a physical store and try it first before I buy it (more expensive)

(or a 3rd option: going to a physical store, try it, if it fits neatly and I'm able to see the clocks, I'll take a note of the brand/model and instead of buying it at the store I'll buy it online)

regards

There's no problem seeing the clocks Carlos, even with both tiers stuffed full of gear  :good2: Like Noel says, nothing I've ever tried has blocked the clocks on the FJ. And like Pat says, there are plenty of options without needing a tank cover.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

vitorino

hi, guys

thanks for your tips and for confirming you can still see the clocks/instruments when riding with the bags

as neat and practical as the tank lock seems, seeing the ring requires drilling the tank (I may be wrong) frightens me  :unknown:

although my FJ 1100 won't be in any museum I also don't want to alter it - when the day comes to part ways with it I want to let her go the same way I received her - pure & "untouched"  :good2:

and even if there's a way to super-glue the ring to the tank it still wouldn't be an option for me, as per the above (glue residues/marks)

so at this point I will probably start looking for the old-fashioned magnet tank bags, which I can likely use on the bike without any alterations; and still keep and use the bag on other bikes other than the FJ 1100 (provided they have a metal tank)

ribbert: I like your side panniers's bars that haven't interfered with the blinkers

regards

big r

The tank lock ring uses the existing screws that hold the fuel cap on

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

RPM - Robert

:Facepalm:

Oops, I forgot you had an 1100. The tank rings won't work unfortunately.

vitorino

big r: that's amazing it uses the sames screws for the tank cap (on standard cap bikes) - so provided it doesn't leave any marks if you take the ring out; and can re-use the ring on another bike that's perfect

but apparently the FJ 1100 still has the old-school tank cap all the way to the front of the tank, not in the center

I also just came across this hack (not for the faint of heart like me, though...) :

Quote from: Dads_FJ on August 22, 2015, 08:50:50 PM
Just passing along my tankbag mod using the GIVI tanklock system on my '84

Using grease on my drill bits and then using this with some goop for sealing:
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

regards,

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Waiex191

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 23, 2020, 05:11:13 PM
Aaaaah, Nope
^+1.  Rivnuts are evil.  I've had to take them out of aircraft before, one with the tap still stuck in it. 

Am I the only one here who was never worried about keeping the bike pristine?  Mine looks great from a couple meters away (please note good use of metric system from a US citizen) but all my bike's imperfections means I don't worry about it and I just ride.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL