News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Keeping your tank paint safe w a tank bag?

Started by Easterntide, March 30, 2015, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magge52

George
92 FJ1200/abs
97 Duc 900ss/sp
75 Norton

ribbert

Quote from: Arnie on May 13, 2015, 10:38:26 AM
Noel,

Seeing your GIVI click-on bag inspired me to get one for my other bike that has a plastic tank with a painted plastic cover, so magnetics won't work.
I like the GIVI bag but am concerned about its security.  Not so much about someone unzipping it and removing the contents (you have that problem with any tankbag) but with someone just UN-clicking it and taking the bag and contents.
Got any ideas to prevent this other than carrying the bag ?

Arnie

Move to an area with a lower crime rate. :biggrin:

Arnie, I don't worry about it. My bike is rarely out of site on day rides or trips and I am often accused of having an unrealistic faith in my fellow man's honesty ( I leave the key in it when I park it most of the time during the day)

On the larger of the two bags, like you have, you can't even see the release lever, it is hidden from view under the bag, and I have always figured that most people who would give some thought to nicking it wouldn't have a clue how to release it.

If walking away from the bike, I would usually take the only thing of value in there with me anyway, my bag containing wallet, phone etc with me.

If parked with other bikes I have always assumed an "Honour among thieves" attitude will prevail.

I also believe most petty theft is opportunistic, if it doesn't just lift off, they'll find something else to pinch, like the $800 GPS sitting just above it!

Or they could just take the whole bike, it permanently has a spare key in the compartment above the choke knob and just to show what a generous bloke I am, there is also a $50 note in there. So, if they pinch the bike, the first couple of tanks of fuel are on me.

As you know, with footpath parking in Victoria, you can always park your bike somewhere very conspicuous and in full view.

On the rare occasion I feel security is an issue, I take it with me, and the GPS, but most (all) of the time I forget about the spare key and $50 being left on it, not that anyone is likely to stumble on to that little compartment with it on the side stand with the bars turned.

I also leave my car running with the A/C on in hot weather if just ducking into the shops.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Arnie

You are much more trusting (and better insured? ) than I am.
It could be because I grew up and spent 1/2 my life in Detroit.  :wacko3:

You do realize that there are now (up to) 4000 more folks who know your
habits and 'some' of them might appreciate your invitation. 
The cops won't take kindly to your (lack of) security habits either.

WeaponWorth

In my opinion I feel like bike security is the top priority just today I took my bike out just for some practice and to see how things were running and I noticed after I came back outside I saw a guy looking at my bike that I did not know so I decided to just sit and watch for little while just to see what he do and he got to close and I started walking out and he walked into an alley and disappeared. I'm not even in a bad area in Chicago but there are shady people always walking around so you can never be too safe wherever you are. But I'm looking into getting a tank bag myself so I'm definitely going to look into that lock system. I'm glad I have a garage but soon starting to be times when my bike is parked outside.
Just bought my first motorcycle which is an 90 FJ 1200 and I plan on rebuilding it and riding it like a beast!!

ribbert

Quote from: Arnie on May 13, 2015, 09:59:47 PM

You do realize that there are now (up to) 4000 more folks who know your
habits and 'some' of them might appreciate your invitation. 
The cops won't take kindly to your (lack of) security habits either.

I briefly considered that, but no one knows where I live, the bike is secure at home anyway and the most relevant point, just how much trouble is someone going to go to to steal an old FJ? particularly one with a single clutch spring, they'd never make a fast getaway.

Security is something I weigh up against the "TDI" (Theft Desirability Index) For example I wouldn't turn my back on my good car for a moment without locking it, I never leave the keys on a bench or table in the house that can be seen through windows etc. and that's insured. My other cars? If there's nothing of value inside them, I don't even lock them.

Car thieves, for the most part, are only going to pinch something they can on sell, is fun to joy ride in or suitable for committing a crime, my other cars do not fall into any of those categories.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ken65

Hey Noel, In 11 years of living out bush i never locked the doors once, even when we went away to get married.

Shelly my 50kg plus bull mastiff x boxer bitch tricked the whole world that she was a killer. I watched her one day when

the front gate was left open and she Sheep dogged the kids in and wouldn't let them out the front gate when they were trying to escape. Even wifey seen it.

Even now in the big smoke i rarely lock up the house, the last time i did we had to go to the real estate agent to get the spare keys so

we could get in , i took the spare car keys by mistake.

ribbert

Quote from: ken65 on May 14, 2015, 04:46:43 AM
Hey Noel, In 11 years of living out bush i never locked the doors once, even when we went away to get married.

Ken, I can remember being amazed when I moved to QL in '75, NO ONE locked their doors or even knew where the keys were, as you say, even when they went on holidays and that was in the middle of Brisbane.

Not sayin' QLer's had nothing worth pinching but..........

The other thing I remember was no one ever asked if you would like a drink, they would just shove a XXXX in your hand, it was like a universal greeting. I didn't even drink beer before I went there (and after a year of XXXX I've never been able to drink it since)

Then there were the young women who thought underwear was only for the colder states and.........err sorry, my mind is wandering, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, unlocked houses, yeah right.

There were these three nurses I shared a house with (unlocked of course) and one night after a few too many drinks we.........sorry, forgot where I was for a moment.

Yeah, top spot Brizzy, very friendly people.

Noel

X-Ray

You have unfinished stories Noel.......
Oh ok, save them for our next rally down south
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Arnie

I was discussing security of my Givi Click Lock tank bag a couple of days ago and I said I was a bit worried that someone would just un-click my expensive Givi bag and walk away with it and all it contained.  Noel assured me that there is no theft in Oz and that there is honor amongst bikers.
Further, that I should move to a 'safer' address :-)

Well, today I took a look at this bag mount system and made up a simple security system for it.
I thought some of you who are also not so trusting as Ribbert might like to copy it.

First unsnap the bottom liner of the bag and move it out of the way so its not damaged.
Then turn the bag over and drill a small hole next to the unlocking lever

This shows the locking pin in place preventing the lever from opening the mount

Another view of the mount with locking pin in place

This is the 'locking pin' just a piece of bent steel wire about 2.5mm dia.

Looks like this with the pin in place. (note: I tied a piece of string on it to prevent loss)

Put the liner back in place and attach the snap, and you only see the string

Someone could still unzip the bag and take the contents, but you could use a small lock if this is a danger.  OR, if you're transporting diamonds, cash, or drugs, unclip the bag and take it with you.

ribbert

Quote from: Arnie on May 18, 2015, 12:05:06 PM

That's great Arnie, I may even copy it if I ever move to shifty part of town.

Seriously, that is a great bit of thinking, simple and 100% effective, I like it.

Noel

DiggerDoo

Quote from: ribbert on May 13, 2015, 08:45:37 AM
This bag system is what you need. I have used them for years now (I have 2 sizes) and they totally solve the paint problem.

They are Givi Tanklock bags.

Noel

Ribbert.. Which Lock Ring did you order? specifically for the '90-FJ1200 ?  Was it the BF05 ?
No matter where you go, There you are !

racerrad8

As an official Givi dealer, yes the BF05 is the proper tank mount.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

aviationfred

I recently installed the GIVI tank lock ring and got advise from Cap'n Ron on what size bag works well. His advise was a 15L bag.

I have a Bagster full coverage tank bra and the GIVI tanklock bag worked great on my trip out to the RPM Rally back in October. I highly recommend using the Tanklock.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

DiggerDoo

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 14, 2020, 09:31:52 PM
As an official Givi dealer, yes the BF05 is the proper tank mount.

Randy - RPM

Thanks Randy..  Off to RPM to order one !!

D
No matter where you go, There you are !